Question on English horse

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Question on English horse

Post by lee sherman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Hello

I am abit confused over the Royal Regiment of Horse and The Oxford Blews

Q1 May be a silly question but are they the same Horse but promoted to Royal status or are they 2 different regiments?

Q2 what are the Trumpeters dressed in Royal livery or Regimental Livery?

Q3 what are the Trumpeters banners like, are they a smaller version of the company flag or totally different

Thank you

Lee
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Question on English horse

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:32 am

My understanding is :

a. They were the same Regiment (with the Earl of Oxford as their Colonel between 1661 and 1688). The nickname derives from the unique colour of their coats;

b. In his excellent book "The Army of James II", Stephen Ede-Borrett confirms that the Trumpeters were granted the privilege of wearing Royal Livery (on campaign, they wore the same armour as the rest of the Regiment);

c. I'm afraid that I don't have the answer to this one ! Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

All the best,

Phil
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Re: Question on English horse

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Glorfindel wrote: b. In his excellent book "The Army of James II", Stephen Ede-Borrett confirms that the Trumpeters were granted the privilege of wearing Royal Livery (on campaign, they wore the same armour as the rest of the Regiment);
I find this interesting - weren't trumpeters supposed to be "separated" from the fighting and hence immune from attack? I thought this was why musicians were generally not armoured....or is this a myth that needs rebutting?
Ssshhhhh!!!!!