War of Devolution 1667-1668... Uniform ideas?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

War of Devolution 1667-1668... Uniform ideas?

Post by chema1986 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am

Hello mates,

I have been thinking about expanding my collection and make some regiments or tercios for the war of devolution. Thinking about the miniatures in 28mm for the Spanish and Walloons my initial thoughts were a mix of late ECW miniatures (maybe Bicorne or Renegade) with some Front Rank's Monmouth rebels and a few North Star 1672 infantry. All broad Brimmed hats, a mix of long coats and shorter coats TYW/CW era, cravattes in the neck, and cuirasses for pikemen.
And regarding the French mostly French Infantry from North Star 1672 but not all uniformed, I mean, painted in different shades of greys, browns, pale colors... and some uniformed ie. Douglas Regiment.

For the cavalry, North Star 1672 cavalry is fine I think, and some horse arquebusiers from ECW ranges.

Arty pretty the same, ECW type

What do you think?

Cheers Chema
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Re: War of Devolution 1667-1668... Uniform ideas?

Post by Adam Hayes » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:13 am

I know very little about this war but Wikipedia describes it as a war without any field actions of note... It’s a period that might suit Donnybrook well and most of the foot could be deployed on either side with appropriate officer figures and colours. There is certainly scope for “what ifs” with the armies of the Netherlands and Restoration England as potential combatants.
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:34 am

This blog (bottom of page) has some images from this period from the Vinhuizen collection. Some Spanish some not.

I think the Chamberga infantry regiment (also called the Tercio of Madrid) was formed in Spain in 1665 during the failed coup against Queen mother Mariana. The image in the Vinhuizen collection from the nypl.org website shows a typical late Spanish uniform with very short sleeves, a red coat, blue vertical lapels and blue cuffs, with a very large white/grey broad brim hat.

Spanish cuirassiers are shown on the miniatures Alfonsos blog in the 1660s still wearing the Morion helmet, with a yellow coat, short sleeves, red cuffs and red vertical lapels. This other blog also has this image which I read on another site some time ago is from 1660s while Charles II was in his regency.

According to a book I used to own "The Portuguese Army in the War of the Spanish Succession" by Pat Condray, the Duke of Schomberg came to Portugal during the Portuguese Restoration War and introduced blue coats in Portugal's army with various cuff colours. From 1640 until the 1720s, they also had a ceremonial halberdier guard wearing green coats. A Royal Guard of Archers attended the king and wore green with white trim. I believe that Portuguese marines had green coats around 1668 with yellow facings including stockings. The most common Portuguese officers sash colour was green-and-white together. There are tile paintings of the Portuguese Restoration War, which partly overlaps the War of Devolution.

Also as late as 1664, Austrian artillery officers wore blue coats with red cuffs according to the Xenophon website, which also has many other uniforms. Image
here.

In France, a grenadier of the Alsace regiment in 1668 is shown wearing a brown coat and and breeches, light blue stockings, green shoulder ribbons on one shoulder, and a black hat. Interestingly around the same time , the Carignan-Salieres regiment (which was sent to Canada) wore brown coats and grey or black cuffs, with black shoulder ribbons on one shoulder and very short Spanish-style sleeves.
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks for the Info! I knew some of the details about the Chamberga guard regiment, but it seems that the illustrarion is not correct, because the guard was dressed in yellow and red. I dont know why is coloured in red and blue in that illustration, anyway is a posibility. The problem with that war is that uniforms were massively adopted just after its end. (at least in Spain) So perhaps a tercio or company was uniformed and another not... Who knows... hehehe thanks again !

And certainly its a perfect conflict for Donnybrook and skirmish games.

Cheers

Chema
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:42 pm

chema1986 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:07 pm
Thanks for the Info! I knew some of the details about the Chamberga guard regiment, but it seems that the illustrarion is not correct, because the guard was dressed in yellow and red. I dont know why is coloured in red and blue in that illustration, anyway is a posibility. The problem with that war is that uniforms were massively adopted just after its end. (at least in Spain) So perhaps a tercio or company was uniformed and another not... Who knows... hehehe thanks again !

Cheers

Chema
On the yellow/red are you sure you don't mean the Guardia del Rey? The Guardia del Rey wore yellow with red cuffs and a red/white checkerboard pattern on the lapels, pockets and cuffs. The Chamberga regiment I think is separate and the ancestor of the Madrid tercio. In the War of the Grand Alliance the Madrid regiment wore a red coat with blue cuffs too.
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:36 pm

TheRightfulKing2013 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:42 pm
chema1986 wrote:

Cheers

Chema
On the yellow/red are you sure you don't mean the Guardia del Rey? The Guardia del Rey wore yellow with red cuffs and a red/white checkerboard pattern on the lapels, pockets and cuffs. The Chamberga regiment I think is separate and the ancestor of the Madrid tercio. In the War of the Grand Alliance the Madrid regiment wore a red coat with blue cuffs too.
Woooow ! I thought it was the same unit !! you may be right. I will investigate that, I did not know the existence of that early Chamberga. I am quite sure that the Guardia del Rey was also called Guardia Chamberga, which fought in Catalonia in the Franco Dutch war, then sent to Messina and lost its "Guard" title. It was also called "Tercio de la Reina".
TheRightfulKing2013
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by TheRightfulKing2013 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 am

chema1986 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:36 pm
TheRightfulKing2013 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:42 pm
chema1986 wrote:

Cheers

Chema
Woooow ! I thought it was the same unit !! you may be right. I will investigate that, I did not know the existence of that early Chamberga. I am quite sure that the Guardia del Rey was also called Guardia Chamberga, which fought in Catalonia in the Franco Dutch war, then sent to Messina and lost its "Guard" title. It was also called "Tercio de la Reina".
Personally I think they were likely separate regiments. Wikipedia mentions a "Chamberga regiment formed in the reign of Charles II, Charles II was king from 1665-1700.

On the other hand, a regiment called the "Regimiento de “Guardias de Infantería del Rey Felipe IV” was raised in 1634 as explained here.

Also here is a link to the image of what I believe was the Chamberga regiment. It is labelled "Regimento de la Chamberga" and "Guardia Reale" on the nypl.org website. However there is a "?" after "Chamberga".