Basing 2 or 3 ranks for French?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
General Kirchner

Basing 2 or 3 ranks for French?

Post by General Kirchner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:03 pm

Hello all,

I am not new to the forum having read for many years, but not really gotten into acutally building/painting or playing.

I have started to collect some figures, and have some questions.

I have seen some beautiful set-ups for basing french regiments, and they are all a little different.

I see some setups that have 2 ranks, some with 3, and some with 2 with a pike company attached behind the middle.

I am curious as to why the variance and the thought processes behind them.

thank you,
Chris
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Re: Basing 2 or 3 ranks for French?

Post by lee sherman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm

The pike base is for earlier wars such as 9 years war, pike is gone by War Spanish Succession from virtually all armies so just the 3 bases. I think 3 or 2 ranks is visual aesthetics 3 gives them a beefear look and 2 keeps the price down and less to paint just your personal preference I suppose.
Marinergrim

Post by Marinergrim » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:33 pm

I base my French WSS armies in three ranks and the Dutch & Danes in two.
For me this allows the French to be in the deeper but narrower frontage that they appear to have had compared to their counter parts. It also allows players to distinguish between those using platoon firing (Dutch & Danes) against salvo & volley (French & Spanish) which is useful in large games where not every player is familiar with the troops.
I sneakily made the Danes look as though they have a faux third rank by stepping back the officers and drummers so that, should I wish to use them in the GNW they would match the Swedes with their pike blocks.
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Clever and elegant - many thanks
Jonathan
General Kirchner

Post by General Kirchner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:02 pm

thanks to everyone for the comments.

I am still debating since i like the looks with the pike and the 3 ranks, but its also a matter of space on the table and $$$ to build an army.