Uniform Material

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
quindia
General
General

Uniform Material

Post by quindia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:39 pm

What would coats and waistcoats be made of 1689-92 or thereabouts? I might be having a uniform made... No, I won't be parading around the neighborhood. I am often the model for my paintings and drawings it would be so much easier if I had reasonably proper kit to capture how the cuffs fall in different arm positions or the coat drapes around the legs, etc. I don't need reenactor level detail and probably any 17th century costume shirt and trousers will work, but I've had a difficult time finding a proper coat. I HAVE found several people who can make me one (tailored even) and might go that route...

Anyway, I found lots of reference to 'material' on this site, but not what it actually was. I figured it was worth the time to type this because someone will know the answer...
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Uniform Material

Post by obriendavid » Tue May 01, 2018 9:15 pm

You know who will come over to wear it, he likes dressing up. :D
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Most people would be in wool coats at this time, quality varying by social rank (suspect there was an early version of Confederate 'shoddy').

Richer individuals would have had silk coats, which would give richer colours and 'brighter' look due to the silk reflecting light better than the wool.
Silk outer material may have been kept for social / official functions and a combination of silk lining used with woollen outer for campaign dress...

Undershirts etc, would have been linen (or silk), not cotton remember.

Not sure whether warmer climes might have had linen coats or similar, that's outwith my knowledge.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu May 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Wouldnt be Williamstown or Jamestown be a good source of knowledge for you?

Here some lines from their website:

At Jamestown Settlement, you can take private tours and choose themes ranging from "Charge Your Pike — Defending the Colony," where you can participate in a special pike drill, to "Concerning Linen, Leather and Silk," which explores the fashion of 17th-century...

https://www.visitwilliamsburg.com/
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu May 03, 2018 11:03 pm

Thanks, guys!
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:57 pm

I have a coat for roughly that period and apparently the material was "boiled wool". Good and heavy so it hangs correctly.