Danish Livgarden til Fods flag

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
footslogger
Major
Major

Danish Livgarden til Fods flag

Post by footslogger » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:38 pm

League of Augsburg makes these labeled for 1710. On the Robert Hall plate there is a different flag - I think that plate is for the time of Ramillies, but am not sure where the info for the flag is from. Does anyone know whenever the switchover happened between that flag and the flag for 1710? Or is the 1710 flag new info? Or....?

Thanks
danschorr
Major
Major

Re: Danish Livgarden til Fods flag

Post by danschorr » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Since no one else has chimed in, I will try to answer your question. In 1701 the Livgarden til fods consisted of 2 grenadier companies and 3 battalions of 6 companies each. One of these battalions was part of the Auxiliary Corps that entered the service of the Maritime Powers in 1701.The flags illustrated by Hall represent the colours carried by this battalion. The remaining 2 battalions in Denmark were issued new colours in 1709/1710 when the number of colours in each regiment was reduced to two. One of these was captured by the Swedes at the Battle of Helsingborg in Feb/March 1710. It is one of these that is illustrated by Warfare/League of Augsburg.

Hope this helps.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:33 pm

Great clear information as usual!

I picked up a book at the Army Museum in Stockholm last year about the infantry flags since 1686 by Leif Tornquist. It is a bit of a goldmine (although mainly in Swedish.) It would be great if they ever did one on all the foreign flags that they have in the museum that were captured in this period...

footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks, Dan!

That looks like a nice volume Adam. What's in it?