Standards for Regt de Dillon

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
DHautpol
Private
Private

Standards for Regt de Dillon

Post by DHautpol » Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 pm

I have a question regarding the Colonel's colour carried by the Regiment de Dillon in the NYW and WSS that I hope someone can throw some light on.

There seems to be agreement that the Irish regiments in French service carried Ordonnance flags with a red cross bordered white, with canton 1 and 4 coloured red and cantons 2 and 3 coloured with the facing colours (usually). The Colonel's flag shows the same design but with the cross and cantons in white.

The exception seems to be Dillon, with some flag makers showing the Colonel's flag with a red cross on a white background with all the other details as with the other Regiments' Colonel's flags, and some other makers showing it as all White. Hall depicts it as an all white flag and the Project SYW shows that by the time of the SYW it was all white.

Does anyone have any insight on how the idea arose that the Dillon Colonel's flags was different to the other Irish Colonels' flags.
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Re: Standards for Regt de Dillon

Post by lee sherman » Thu May 30, 2019 6:00 pm

Could it not be a Lt Colonels? In English regiments the colonels was usually a solid block colour and then Lt Colonels was St George and Major St George and some sort of pile wavy? I could be totally wrong though 🤔
Old John
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Old John » Fri May 31, 2019 1:00 pm

DHautpol
Private
Private

Post by DHautpol » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:05 am

Old John and Lee

Thanks for your comments. The images were very good but still inconclusive, as much in this period seems to be.

I'm edging towards an all white standard with the crown and motto, rather than one with a red cross, if only because it looks a bit odd to see a St George's cross in amongst my French units.

Cheers.
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:20 pm

I think they have the St George cross as they were originally part of the English army under James II I think, then they went with him into exile in France