Irish militia

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Irish militia

Post by pappenheimuk » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:01 pm

Hi,
I was thinking of using a mixture of ECW scots & english foot for Jacobite/Williamite Irish militia, what do you think?

David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:14 pm

I'd go for that David!!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:16 pm

Depends what scale. You could probably get away with it in 1/300th, but any bigger and the relative shortness of the coats would be too obvious. I would think that 'Sedgemoor' period irregulars with muskets would give the best effect. This is just my opinion; I may well be wrong.
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:09 am

Hi, I would agree with Rob, the civilian dress had changed to a longer coat by then. I've mixed in some ECW figures for variey in my Irish foot but have mostly used Dixon figures, they do a nice 'rebel' figure.
Cheers
Simon
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:06 am

Have a look at Parkfield Miniatures, a range of figures covering the Glorious Revolution, including militia figures.
www.parkfieldminiatures.freeservers.com
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:09 am

Thanx Simon :D

I have NEVER heard of this company before... what an amazing hobby we are in :shock:
The range looks pretty extensive and ideal for Sedgemoor, Ireland and I think Flanders.

What would be good to know is how they measure up to
Dixons
Foundry
Stratagem

in size terms.

Difficult to judge exactly how well the figures would paint up - the ones on the site are fairly well done but I'd like a closer look.

Anyone else ever used/bought these?

I must say I have never

1. Seen an advert
2. Seen them at a show
3. Heard anyone mention them
4. Seen them reviewed
5. Read a thread on the net

Very strange indeed :?

By the way, wanted to throw my two penneth in on the 'fashion' thing. I don't wholly buy this idea of not being able to wear clothes from an immediately prior 'fashion' phase. You only have to look at what poorer people in third world countries are wearing now to see that in many cases it was what we were wearing 15-20 years before.

Remember, the guys who were fighting in Ireland were probably the poorest of the poor. Destitute people who were tenant farmers, bondsmen,peasants with little to eat, little if any collateral and no weapons. I think the subject of 'long or short' coats is a bit of a blind alley.

These guys probably stood in the line barefoot, breeches and shirt, perhaps an overjacket or blanket, maybe a short labourers coverall. You don't work the fields in a long coat! The odd regiment would probably have had uniforms but James couldn't even equip his men with weapons !!

I say, use ECW types as long as they don't have any extremely obvious dress throw backs to the period before ECW.

A final word.... Corporal Jones turned up at the first Walmington on Sea muster with a spear from the Sudan I believe!!

So rests the case for the defence :wink:

Henry Ford
pappenheimuk
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by pappenheimuk » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:34 pm

That was my thinking Barry, the poorer classes would probably be happy to wear whatever would keep them warm, most of the figs I have are Redoubt figs with shirts and breeches, a few with the short coats, however I think I would need to get different heads with some sort of floppy hats as most I have got wear the lowland bonnet.

David
"Anything but a one and you'l be OK!!!"
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Tue May 29, 2007 4:29 pm

As parkfield I have been going for a few years now and as a gamer have always been interested in the Renaissance period. The glorious revolution range really came about as I wanted to game the period and there was not a great variety around.
I am now looking to get back into the period (later 17th century) and hopefully will be increasing the range during this year (hopefully) as well as actually gaming and am interested in ULB rules as there is very little else around.
I normally only attend shows in the south of the UK but if you would like to see the figures, please ask, I am more than willing to forward samples.
As a rough guide, the figures measure 25mm from base to eye level. Also if there are any figures that you think are not covered, then please let me know.
Simon
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:47 am

Hi Simon,

I missed this post :oops:
I am not one for 'send me a free sample' type behaviour but if you want then please send a few figs and I'll paint them up and photo for the forum :D
Always interested in promoting the period! :wink:

If OK then I'll PM you a postal address

Henry Ford
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:46 pm

I am more than willing to send a couple of figures if it helps the cause, just let me know where, in the meantime, the web site is at
www.parkfieldminiatures.fsnet.co.uk, then click on the link for The Glorious Revolution to see some piccies of painted troops.
I am gearing myself up to do some more figures to cover this period, probably beginning with some Scanian War types and then expanding to cover the Grande Alliance period.

Simon
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi there,

Your link doesn't seem to be working, I tried this one from the miniatures page.

www.parkfieldminiatures.freeservers.com
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:44 am

Sorry about that, I combined it with e mail, :oops:
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:42 am

Hi,

I know this is a old thread now, but look at Reiver Castings on Under The Bed Enterprises website they do Monmouth's Rebel's and the Irish Rapparees are now available.The range is growing and the latest new's is they intend to do the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715 and the French of Louis XIV.Mark Naylor and Ray Jobling are good friend's of mine and who I have known for many years.

Ray.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:12 pm

I have a bunch of the Reiver Castings as Irish Jacobites and I think they work very well. A word of warning however, they are noticably larger than the Foundry/Dixon size of 25mm for this period, which is what the bulk of my figures are.
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:22 pm

Hello Folks,

I have only one unit of Parkfield Miniatures. They are painted up as Irish Jacobites in red coats. So not the militia but King James regulars.

In my opinion they are perhaps closer to the Strategum figures but with better poses and anatomy. They are smaller then Dixon and Foundry (not obviously, people are different sizes too! and MUCH smaller than Front Rank, who isn't).

They paint up nicely, not with massive detail but enough. Generally nice figures and mix in well with other previously mentioned ranges.

I believe i saw them last at Salute 2007???, on the back wall somewhere. It could well be another show though.....

To anyone collecting figures for the period they are certainly worth picking up. They would be great to mix in with Dixon and Foundry for Irish.

Parkfield also do flags for the period and unless they has 'upgraded' them recently the artwork probably doesn't match some of the other flags on the market. However, they would make great templates or guides for anyone who doesn't have flag details.

Hope this helps..

PS, Barry, i also have a unit of Reiver Grenadiers in the attack pose painted up as Jacobite Irish. Would you like some pics of these units for a guest gallery?