Considering starting WWII gaming on a different scale.

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Considering starting WWII gaming on a different scale.

Post by big-gazza » Sun May 14, 2006 9:23 pm

Hi,
after painting 15mm minis for a couple of years I fancy trying a different scale and rules set. Not sure which yet but I'm down to 3 choices. Also I'll be collecting late war Brits to start and possible German of FJ after that.

6mm - Figures and rules from GHQ. Get into some really big battles. Some of the rules sound very interesting. Quick to paint.

20mm - Figures from A&B figures or SHQ and possibly Rapid Fire as a rule set. Vehicles from S&S models. Still can do some bigger battles and the larger scale appeals as a painter.

28mm - Figures from BAM figures or Crusader and possibly Disposable Heroes as a rule set. Vehicles from S&S models. Down in game size but I like the idea of painting the detail on 28mm figures.

So theres my thoughts so far. I was wondering if any of you chaps have any other thoughts or are willing to share your experiences in WWII gaming.

thanks

Gazza
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:32 pm

Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can try 6mm and 28mm at no cost because I'll bring 'em up to the club and you can see what you like.

20mm, well not for me, neither is Rapid Fire but there you go. I think my views on both subjects are er, rather well known. If in any doubt read the three articleS in the WARCHEST comparing WW2 Rules (One rule for you). I wrote these for Wargames Illustrated a couple of years ago and got plenty of plaudits from some people and death threats from the Rapid Fire Brethern 8)

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by big-gazza » Sun May 14, 2006 10:50 pm

barr7430 wrote: You can try 6mm and 28mm at no cost because I'll bring 'em up to the club and you can see what you like.
Hi,
I was oping you were going to say that. Give me a shout when you are free and we can give one of them a go.

I'll have a look in the warchest for the RF articles,

thanks

Gazza
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon May 15, 2006 11:48 am

1st. IMO you can play most of the rules with most of the miniature sizes. Barry has shown us that GHQ or FoW are no problem with 28mm models.

2nd. Beside the 15mm size that is nice for tanks i like 28mm. A tank is really a tank in that size and you can paint the individual models. I havent played it, but the people i know, like Disposable Heroe. And you can use teh terrain you already have.

I myself play 15mm Northafrica and 28mm Normandy.
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by big-gazza » Mon May 15, 2006 2:41 pm

Hi,
I've talked to Barry before about Microarmour with FOW models and FOW with 28mm but thats not hat I'm looking for.

FOW was my introduction to WWII and historical wargaming and now after about 2 and a half years I'm wanting to try and exand my experience as a painter and a gamer with a new scale and a new game system. Much as I like FOW I'm sure theres a big world of WWII gaming out there that I've not experienced yet.

Thanks

Gazza