BERLIN

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

BERLIN

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:44 pm

Just back from a holiday trip to Berlin which was very interesting. To finally get a chance to stand in some of the places I had read about so many times was a real thrill. Despite being the world's largest construction site I was still able to see(literally everywhere) the evidence of the fighting in 1945. Huge numbers of buildings including the Reichstag(Bundestag) still display thousands of pock marks from small arms and heavier weapons hits. In many places I saw teams of workers hanging from rope gantries filling in bullet - with cement!

I focused on the area around the Reichstag, Unter den Linden, Potsdammerplatz,Friedrichstrasse to get a flavour for the 'last days'.

Most disturbing place was the now derelict site of Nr8 Prinz Albrecht Strasse(now renamed so it was difficult to find). The former Gestapo torture house is now an open air museum in remembrance of the atrocities committed there.

Wiping out buildings is however a curious policy as the architecture in itself is not evil, it's what people do in these places that is the really frightening thing.

It all put wargaming back in perspective for me - it is a great hobby but worth while occasionally reminding ourselves about the misery and dislocation real war causes ordinary people like us. We play toy soldiers, nothing more than that.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:08 am

Hi,
sounds like a great trip. First Italy, then Berlin. Where next?

Gazza
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:44 pm

Actually Gary the next one is Moscow but that's not till next year!!!

Henry Ford
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Barry

I suppose it's not so much the building but the fact that certain ones will hold a unfortunate iconic fasination for some of the more extreme groups still around in Germany :cry:
big-gazza
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Location: Married with Children........in Strathaven, Scotland.

Post by big-gazza » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:29 pm

barr7430 wrote:Actually Gary the next one is Moscow but that's not till next year!!!
Hi,
sounds good. Will you be extending the world tour to North Africa or Pacific? :wink:

Gazza
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:50 pm

HaHa :lol: (might be true though with my bloody job!)

In response to Bob's point : you are totally on the money. My very obliging Afghani taxi driver pointed out a poster by the side of the road representing the new Fascist Party in Germany(6% of the vote already). It featured two blond kids(beautiful children) with the slogan...

"With us?" underneath........

This is not representative of most Germans of course but even after everything Europe went through we still have extreme right wing parties in EVERY country peddling the same message of hate.

The Jewish Museum was also very interesting and did not go for the sympathy vote(which of course it would be entirely entitled to do) but rather tried to rationalise anti Semitism in Germany and contrast that with the positive contribution Jews have made in all aspects of European culture.

Engagement with such topics is something I think we all should do a little more often otherwise we'll sleep away our lives..

oops :oops: a bit heavy but hey..............
When I get home I'll just paint som e figures....

Henry Ford
gonzo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gonzo » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:22 am

Hi,

I just wanted to make people aware of this book if they happen to VERY interested in WWII Berlin conncetion so to speak;

http://www.hidden-in-plain-sight.com/

Regards,

Viktor
simon boulton
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by simon boulton » Tue May 08, 2007 8:23 am

Have just returned from an interesting visit to Berlin, Barry is quite right that lots of buildings still show the damage caused during WW2, although some one told me that most of what look like bullet - were actually caused by bomb splinters. There is an intersting group who explore Berlins underground world and do guided tours, there is usually a tour in English once a day Thursday to Monday, www.berliner-unterwelten.de
One tour is of the remains of one of the three huge flak towers that defended Berlin and is very intersting. Another is of an air raid shelter connected to the underground station, this one is very interesting because it contains the stuff they have found at various sites, including panzerfausts, a panzerschreck, SMG's and a French rifle with Italian bullets that don't fit! The guide explained that because of all the building work in Berlin they still discover bodies from WW2 even now. One cabinet contained the stuff they found with the body of a German, he wore glasses and smoked a pipe, was awarded the iron cross first class in ww1, was armed with a panzerfaust and wore a WW1 helmet that had a large - in the front which was what probably killed him, there was also a mess tin with his name scratched in the bottom, I can almost imagine this poor bloke in his forties being sent out with just a panzerfaust to take on the Soviets and all for nothing.
Berlin is a fantastic place and I would recommend it for a visit.
Cheers, Simon
simon boulton

Post by simon boulton » Tue May 08, 2007 8:26 am

For some reason the word - has disappeared twice from the previous post! Hopefully it still makes sense.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 08, 2007 8:59 am

I think we all know the missing word Simon! Removed during the great - storm of 2007. I may I think re instate the word which of course is h-o-l-e!

Henry Ford