The Last Saxons or the 14th Panzer Division

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

The Last Saxons or the 14th Panzer Division

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Dear Friends,

after some asking around and trying to figure it out I finally got to the point of no return :wink: .
Today I received a "small" box from The Toysoldier Company with a starter Army to built a "Kampfgruppe" of units of the last Saxon Military Fighting Unit, the 14th Panzer Division.
It was by its Battle record a hard fighting unit which foughts until the last moment of the II. World War. It was one of the few Divisions that fought from the start to the very end on the Eastern Front.

http://www.axishistory.com/axis-nations ... r-division

The Battlegroup will be formed as a fighting unit for the Rules of the same name. The decission for those Rules goes back to some talking I had with Burkhard and it was his insights that helped me through. Thanks for that!

Over time I will here show a slow progressing growth of this Battlegroup as my other projects need not my time but only my money :wink:

The Starter Army contains 4 StuG's III, 9 Sdkfz 251/D Halftrack, 3 Pz IV, 4 Pak38, 1 2cm Flak, 2 Kuebelwagen and about 100 Infantry with Heavy support weapons. All in 20mm.
Looks like a nice little fighting force of the Years 1943 to 1945.

Cheers,

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The Last Saxons or the 14th Panzer Division

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:55 am

Production has started with the Stug III's. I intend to built three Stug III G with the long 75mm/L48 Gun and one StuH 42 with the 105mm Gun.

The StuH is the first and only needs to be painted now. While I wait for the Panzer Colours to arrive I work on the next StuG's and also the Pak 38, also ready for applying suitable paint for the War in Russia in late 1943.

Models are by PSC and Zwedzda, also Revell, Italeri, S-Model and so on as long as its in 1/72 scale.

Cheers,

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 pm

Next Units are completed, a Stug III G and two Pak 38 5cm,

and WIP on a PzKpw IV H

Close up on the Pak and the 2cm Flak

Glued a metal plate in the Tank bottom to give them more weight.

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:56 am

A small historical view on the 14th Panzer Division. When raised it was formed as the 4th Infantry Division of the Reichswehr. 1940 it was transforemd into a Panzerdivison with two Schuetzen-Regiments, 103 and 108, and 1 Panzer Regiment (the 36th received from the 4th Panzer Division). Here is the list of Companies who formed the 108 Schuetzen Regiment as Saxon traditional Units of its former Army:
1. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 1. (Leib-) Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 100
2. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. Schützen-Regiment "Prinz Georg" Nr. 108
3. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 2. Grenadier-Regiment "Kaiser Wilhelm, König von Preußen" Nr. 101
4. Kompanie: Sächsische Fliegertruppe
5. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 4. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 103
6. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 12. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 177
7. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 12. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 177
8. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 4. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 103
9. Kompanie: Königlich Sächsisches 2. Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 13
10. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 1. Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 12
11. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 16. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 182
12. Kompanie: Königlich Sächsisches 1. Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 12
13. Kompanie: Sächsische Minenwerfer
14. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 3. Infanterie-Regiment "König Ludwig III von Bayern" Nr. 102
15. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 3. Infanterie-Regiment "König Ludwig III von Bayern" Nr. 102
16. Kompanie: Kgl. Sächs. 13. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 178

It saw extensive service in Russia on the southern Front were it was for some time under the command of my Great-Grand-Uncle Generalmajor Ferdinand Heim (01 July 1942 - 01 Nov 1942) were it was destroyed in Stalingrad.

The remainders of the Division were transfered to France were it was to be reformed again until October 1943.

The 14. Panzer Division was one of the few who had three "Abteilungen/Battalions" in his Panzer Regiment. When reformed this Battalions were to receive in the I. Abt. PzKw V Panther, the II. Abt. PzKw IV and the III. Abt. Stug. Only the II and III Abt. would be ready until they were transferred back to Russia. The I. Abt. waited for their Tanks until June 1944!! When the 76 Panthers arrived they had to give them up to the OB West as Replacements/Reserves. So the I. Abt was transported to a training ground in Germany where they received finally their Panther's and rushed to the Northeastern Frontline to fill the depleted ranks of the 14. Panzer Division.

Within the last Year of the War the Division saw use as a " Crisis response Unit". It was marched north and fought gallantly against the Russian Tidle Wave in Kurland until the Capitulation on May 9th 1945 with the Army Group Kurland.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:34 am

In addition to the Starter-Army of

4 StuG's III, 9 Sdkfz 251/D Halftrack, 3 Pz IV, 4 Pak38, 1 2cm Flak, 2 Kuebelwagen and about 100 Infantry with Heavy support weapons

the following units will arrive soon

1 Kfz 15, 4 StuKa's(Micro Wing), 2 Ju 52/3m (Micro Wings), 4 Me Bf 109E (Micro Wings), 2 8,8 Flak 36/37, 1 Heavy Mortar 17/21cm, 4 leFH-18, 2 more 8,8 Flak, 2 selfpropelled Flak 36, 4 SdKfz 7

Artillery and Air Support is on its way so.

Together with those the Colours are to arrive too. Hope to have it soon before my Panzer's start to rust (dust) :wink: :D

Cheers,

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:28 pm

Two more vehicles have been added. One is a SdKfz 251/1D "APC" and one more PzKw IV "H".

Next are one more Pz IV and the last two StuG's.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:17 am

As only one more Panzer is missing it shows the progress in raising the Iron Fist of the Battlegroup growing. As soon as the Colours arrive I can start to base coat them in German Dark Yellow.

Without any haste one of those Panzer's can be built in less than 2 hours.

I want to add two pictures of my Great Grand Uncle in his role as Commanding General of the 14. Panzer Division in Russa 1942.

Cheers,

Günter

jambo1
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by jambo1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:02 am

Can you tell us how his war went?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:17 am

jambo1 wrote:Can you tell us how his war went?
Hi Jambo,

Yes, sure, you may read it as well yourself. Here is the link to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Heim

He wasn't a completely devoted Nazi and the wellfare of the men under his command counted alot to him. He got his decorations for bravery and high quality command abilities.

As you can read in the article he was made the scapegoat for the encirclement of the 6th Army at Stalingrad. His Panzer Corps, the 48th, had a paperstrenght of more than 300 Tanks, mainly Pzkpw 38T, not a bad Tank at all, but more than 90% were in bad shape as mice has invested the Tanks and chewed up all the electric and hydraulic tubes. So only 30 Tanks were able to take the field and have been no match for the 800 Tanks they had to face.

Hope that helps,

Günter

jambo1

Post by jambo1 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Nice one, an interesting read. Many thanks, it's always interesting to read about real people and what they did in the war.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:59 pm

A days work is finished. Now I have to wait for the reinforcements Berlin has promised me :wink: :D (Berliner Zinnfiguren-Kabinett).

Three Panzer IV, 3 StuG III and 1 StuH42 together with 3 Sdkfz 251/1D and 3 Squads Panzer Grenadiers.

Cheers,

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:51 am

The reinforcements have arrived together with some paint :D

Now I can do some Guns - some 10,5cm lfH and a few 8,8cm Guns and a massive 21 cm Heavy Mortar as a suitable Off-Table Artillery Support, bought just in case :wink: - and some Towing Vehicles.
Also there are 4 Me 109 and 4 Ju 87 and 1 Ju 52 Transport Plane. 3 Halftrack's with mounted Flak Guns have arrived too.

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:54 pm

That's an interesting force you are building Gunter and with your family connection it will make it even more special to game with irrespective of the outcomes.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:43 am

Dave,

It is the first time for me to built a unit with which I have family ties.

Panzer Production is moving on WIP:

Sideview

Topview

Parallel to the above I am working on the two 8.8, two 10.5 lFH and two PAK38.

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Btw., if anyone is interested here is a short historical note on Gen.Lt.Ferdinand Heim's War Record from 1939-1944

3 September 1940-15 May 1942: Chief of the General Staff of the 6th Army. [Commanded by Generalfeldmarschall Walther von Reichenau, the 6th Army was concentrated on the Cherbourg Peninsula following the surrender of France when Heim joined its General Staff. The army remained on alert for Operation “Seelöwe” (Sea Lion), the proposed invasion of Great Britain. Although the operation was never carried out, the 6th Army had been tentatively assigned landing zones in Lyme Bay between Weymouth and Lyme Regis. Transferred to the east, the 6th Army next took part in the invasion of the Soviet Union on 22 June 1941 as a component of Army Group South. Upon von Reichenau’s elevation to Commander-in-Chief of Army Group South in January 1942, he handed over leadership of the 6th Army to his old comrade and former chief of staff, General der Panzertruppe (later Generalfeldmarschall) Friedrich Paulus.]
15 May 1942: Führer Reserve in the Army High Command.
22 June 1942: Detached to the Panzer Troop School and to the School for Motorized Troops in Krampnitz.
1 July 1942: Commander of the 14th Panzer Division in Russia.
1 November 1942: Delegated with the leadership of the XXXXVIII Panzer Corps in Russia. [On 14 November 1942, Heim’s corps began assembling in the rear of the Romanian 3rd Army to bolster its defenses in view of evidence of an imminent Soviet offensive. Composed of only 180 serviceable tanks, Heim’s weak corps comprised the 14th Panzer Division (36 tanks), the 22nd Panzer Division (41 tanks many of which were unreliable from mice chewing through electrical wiring!) and the Romanian 1st Armored Division (103 tanks including 84 woefully inadequate R-2 light tanks). On 19 November 1942, the Soviet Southwestern Front attacked the Romanian 3rd Army and, despite pockets of determined resistance, smashed through and streamed deep into the Romanian rear areas. Heims’ corps counterattacked but, instead of attacking en masse, he received orders to divert the Romanian 1st Armored Division while it was already on the move. Heims’ counterattack was thus dislocated from the start and failed to contain the Soviet breakthrough which resulted in the encirclement and subsequent destruction of the German 6th Army at Stalingrad.]
26 November 1942: Führer Reserve in the Army High Command – arrested on Hitler’s orders and placed in solitary confinement in Moabit for the failure of his corps to halt the Soviet counteroffensive that led to the encirclement of the German 6th Army at Stalingrad. General der Infanterie Rudolf Schmundt, the Chief Armed Forces Adjutant to Hitler and Chief of the Army Personnel Office, wrote in his diary: “The Führer [Hitler] himself will decide on all further measures of military discipline in this matter.”
April 1943: Released from imprisonment into a hospital.
July 1943: Hitler reversed his decision to expel Heim from the Army and he was allowed to retire instead.
16 August 1943: Retired from the Army.
1 August 1944: Again, reactivated in the Army.
5 August 1944-23 September 1944: Fortress Commandant Boulogne, France. [Following the Allied breakout from Normandy, the Canadian 1st Army cleared the Pas-de-Calais region of France and liberated the Channel ports of Le Havre, Dieppe, Boulogne, and Calais. The German garrison of Boulogne, commanded by Heim, surrendered to the Canadians on 23 September 1944. The capture of Boulogne and Calais ended operation of the huge German naval cannons mounted in concrete casemates on the cliffs at Cape Gris Nez. The guns had been used to bombard the Channel and south coast ports of England.]