Size DOES Matter!!!

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
Anonymous

Size DOES Matter!!!

Post by Anonymous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:51 am

Hi Guys
Just a couple of simple WWII related questions - I've posted the other one under 'Rubble'.
Just started painting Artizan WWII figures and have recently spied on the net the Bolt Action Miniature range and have been particularly taken with their SS figures - but haven't seen them in the flesh.
Question is are they compatible size-wise with Artizan's? I've seen Barry's 'Ascending Scales' article in War Chest and gather from it that West Winds are small, Chiltern's are large and the rest, including Artizan and BAMs are somewhere in between.
I'm sure someone out there has either both sets of figures happily side by side in their horde, or have tried them and dismissed them as incompatible - your comments would be welcome.
Thanks - Paul
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Paul,

nice tough question :lol:

Neither of these ranges could be described as extreme in terms of size but there are some distinctive characteristics;

Bolt Action - there is a lot to be said in favour of their products and they are nice guys too. I would describe them as Foundryesque(in terms of general anatomy and style) perhaps a little on the slender side. Generally good sculpts with attention to detail on equipment etc. Some figures a little 'odd' but generally spot on.
Artizan: Different style altogether. Bolder, coarser sculpting. Less detail and such detail exaggerated in size often. Some lovely figures and marketed very well as they have selected painters such as Tom Weiss to paint display models which always helps! I like their stuff too but feel the style is a bit different. Have examples of both somewhere but not handy so I cannot currently do the SIZE comparison. :oops:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Paul Hicks

Post by Paul Hicks » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 am

Send me a mail to

sales@boltactionminiatures.co.uk

And we will pop a sample in the post for you.

All the best

Paul@BAM