Rubble

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
Anonymous

Rubble

Post by Anonymous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:02 am

Just about to base-up some 28mm WWII figures on single bases and want to depict them scrambling over the rubble of a demolished urban landscape. I normally base using polyfilla and then add Woodland Scenic's Coarse ballast or other small pebbles etc, etc for a more 'rural' look.
However, these are too smooth and round to look anything like angular demolished bricks, mortar etc.
Anyone out there aware of any commercially available 'rubble' or, if not, a simple and effective way of creating it? I suppose I could just buy a plastice building kit and cut it up myself!!!
Not a rocket science question, I know, but any comments will save me the time and trouble of having to re-invest the wheel!
Many thanks - Paul
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:54 pm

Paul,

go to a local garden centre, buy a bag of builder's sand(10kg or similar) take it home and sift it with a kitchen sieve(?). You will get every grade of basing material from ultra fine sand to sharp coarse rubble like pieces and it wont cost you more than £2. Compare that with a margarine tubfull of Games Workshop Ballast at about £52,000 or similar!!

Alternatively buy some balsa wood and cut it up into brick size pieces OR plasticard OR rollout a thicj slab of milliput and slice it in a very fine grid shape with a scalpel and make dozens of 'bricks' which you can mix with some of the builders sand above... :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford