Rapid Fire Reloaded!

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rapid Fire Reloaded!

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:43 pm

I don't know if anyone has seen it but I found Richard Marsh's response to my original articles comparing GHQ MicroArmor to Rapid Fire an interesting read.(Wargames Illustrated #212)

My initial thoughts were that the article was more a `commercial' for the relaunch of Rapid Fire than anything else. The response to various questions posed initially by me were in the main imprecise but then again why should he take up the points, he's trying to sell something and I'm a punter!!!

The general tone of the piece seemed to be one of rebuttal and some little `irritation' so if I got on your wick Richard I'm sorry for that it wasn't the intention! I merely wanted to try a comparison between two products. A bit like do you prefer a Sainbury's meal for one or and M&S?

B :wink:
Sgt Steiner
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Sgt Steiner » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi Barry

Havent read the article in WI (I only buy it infrequently nowdays) but I guess it was to be expected from the RF author :wink:

Despite not being a big fan of RF I did of course purchase the new set and whilst its nothing radical it does at least address some of the shortcomings of the original wether or not succesfully is open to question of course.

As ever the pics of the miniatures/terrain are inspiring (bit like the pics of your stuff herein !) and the 2 two scns are Normandy based so a plus for me

Cheers
"Merry it was to laugh there-where death becomes absurd and life absurder. For power was on us as we slashed bones -. Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder." Wilfred Owen
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi Barry, read the article, was thinking of buying the new rapid fire, but after reading it, I don't think it is worthwhile, not much really has changed, just clarified a few points, but if you have been playing long enough or a wargamer who does not exploit loopholes, the old rules are fine for a quick game. If anything the cost of £20 is a bit steep for re-hash glossy version of the old rules, that work fine anyway. I also thought he was giving you a bit of stick, for what really was a fairly unbiased article about two sets of rules. P.S How much did GHQ pay you again for that article ????? :wink:
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Eat my words

Post by martin terroni » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:02 am

After saying that I would not buy the rules, I got a proper look at them at the weekend, Dale brought them along for the game. I must take it back, they do look good and I could not resist the Glossy cover and pics. So I had to go and buy it. What a Sucker, but it is one of the flawed traits of being a wargamer. :oops:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:09 am

Thought the latest article about them in WI was a tad sycophantic.

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:34 am

Actually.....more than a tad 8)

Henry Ford
martin terroni
Captain
Captain

Post by martin terroni » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:56 pm

Totally agree Barry, always wary of reviews in magazines for mostly anything, thats why I prefer word of mouth or personnal opinions, rather than the manufacturer etc.

:roll:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:01 pm

Someone has been naughty and brought out a RF Korean War supplement!
They don't look too happy about it either!! :evil:

Henry Ford