LoGW make the International Wargames Press!!!!

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

LoGW make the International Wargames Press!!!!

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:31 pm

:D
Gentlemen,

you will now be known in various corners of the globe and most probably arrested on sight! 8)
WARGAMES, SOLDIERS & STRATEGY have featured our Waterloo refight as their Dossier in the issue which has been realised to coincide with SALUTE. David Gomez and his team have done a really excellent job in presenting the piece I wrote for him and have used 20 photos which have come out really well - even the one with all of your handsome faces in it!
David is a really nice chap and extremely professional with it. He has expressed more than a passing interest in the Ligny refight and I think perhaps might be inclined to give it similar treatment.

Hope you all manage to get a look/copy of this as it is really well worth it.

Incidentally could someone just tell Dale it exists otherwise he's likely to find a copy in 2025 in the Bring and Buy at TARGE :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
kutusov
Captain
Captain

Post by kutusov » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Barry you could always tell him that while in Forfar at his day job, Richardsons the newsagents opposite the library stocks copies thats if they haven't been bought up by ourselves :lol:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:21 pm

Does he go into shops Bob? :shock:

Last time I saw him he was buying new quills,nibs and ink. Parchment on order (or was it Papyrus??) :lol:

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:28 am

The mag & article have even made their way to New Zealand. Congratulations on a great weekend and a great dossier. Several friends have already pawed over the article and accompanying pictures with various oohs and ahhhs.

A question though ... do the French ever come second in your Napoleoonic games? :shock:

I have avidly followed the Leagues Napoleonic games, but have yet to see the good guys win!! :o

Peter H., with nothing against the French but a little curious all the same :lol:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:00 pm

Actually good question but slightly Francophobic Peter :wink:

Yes they did win Waterloo
Yes they did win Bastille Day
Flussgarten was not a win
Hohenbrunn was not a win

The rules are definitely not biased towards Les Francaises.... often their infantry are classed as RAW/CONSCRIPT.

Modestly prevents me from in any way implying the superior Generalship was the battle winner at Waterloo 8) but I think you may wish to consider this possibility :wink:

As for the other battles, well let's see if any other 'Gentlemen' wish to contribute to the debate.

Perhaps victory is simply in the blood of the French!!

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:08 am

barr7430 wrote:Actually good question but slightly Francophobic Peter :wink:
Yes, possibly guilty as charged. I have a bunch of Allied armies (aka the good guys trying to free their freedom loving peoples from the cruel and oppresive French yoke :roll:) but I don't have a French army ... yet. My excuse is that I'm waiting for the Calpe French. I'm a one man Calpe fan club. :roll:
barr7430 wrote:Yes they did win Waterloo
Yes they did win Bastille Day
Flussgarten was not a win
Hohenbrunn was not a win
From (an admittedly aging) memory the latter two appeared to be winning draws to the French. I may have got it wrong! :oops:
barr7430 wrote: The rules are definitely not biased towards Les Francaises.... often their infantry are classed as RAW/CONSCRIPT.
<rant mode on> :shock:
And I'm glad to hear it. Some rule / army list / scenario writers seem to think that because a unit is titled ligne or legere then they are at least trained / average, and conversely if a unit is titled landwehr or of a minor nation then it is obviously by default at the bottom of the quality ratings. I'm specifically talking 1813 here, and of course all unit rating includes a large chunk of personal opinion.
<rant mode off> :mrgreen:
barr7430 wrote:Modestly prevents me from in any way implying the superior Generalship was the battle winner at Waterloo 8) but I think you may wish to consider this possibility :wink:
I freely aknowledge this possibility, as well as the possibility that your subordinates won the battle despite your generalship :o ... not that I seriously consider the latter! :D

I guess the main reason for my query is that I'm curious about the rules. I'm one of those sad rules junky cases and occasionally a group of us want to play the LARGE Napoleonic game.
barr7430 wrote:As for the other battles, well let's see if any other 'Gentlemen' wish to contribute to the debate.

Perhaps victory is simply in the blood of the French!!
Perhaps :roll: :shock: :D

Peter H., hopefully not coming across as a moaning old f*rt ... even though he maybe is! :lol:
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:22 am

Nice site and lovely photographs Peter!! don't know how I missed it before.
Your painting is top drawer :D and the shots interesting, well lit and framed 8)

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:59 am

Thank you very much Barry. I'm beginning to realise that it was indeed the French CinC that was critical in the winning of the Waterloo refight for the French! :lol:

The website is still developing (slowly). You probably missed it before because in general I'm not strongly promoting it and because I only just added it to my signature here.

Taking the photos and post shot manipulation is ... ahhh ... on a learning curve. :roll:

Peter H., aka von Peter
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:22 am

Hi Peter ,

In our earlier games my noble Russian Army defended its honour well, containing the numerically superior French cavalry to little more than a trot and subjecting many a French infantryman and artilleryist to the point of our Cossack lances. Alas the Russian army lacked the depth of experienced veterans in much of the French army so we struggled at times especially with units like the raw Moscow Militia.

I will leave it to my brothers in arms to defend the honour of our Prussian allies.

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:13 pm

Peter , I've just checked ourt your website and was delighted to see that you too have succumbed to the joys of fielding some Russian Napoleonic troops.
Great painting, photography and web design. I look forward to visiting often. It seems a bit slow to load but that may be more to do with software compatability issues from my system.

best regards
Peter
Peter

kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:17 am

Hello Peter, err, Prince Andrei :oops:

Than you for your kind comments.

Yes I have some of the Russian Emperors finest with a battalion of jagers about to be added to the fledgling 24th Division order of battle.

I don't paint my own Russians as it takes me all my time to paint the Prussians and all the other periods I dabble in. Brent Watterson (Greater Queeg) paints the Russians for me and with a little direction he does a decent enough job. :roll: I do base them however (so that all my Napoleonics are based the same). I figure that the basing is what saves the figures! :shock:

Seriously, Brent does a wonderful job on the Russians and they have drawn many admiring comments.

I was intending to do the complete 24th Division of 1813 plus some corps etc assets (cavalry and I want some grenadiers as I love the plume!). But the extent of my Napoleonic meglomania is beginning to dawn on me and they may end up a little smaller. Time and degree of melomania will tell.

And yes the site can be slow to load. I don't think it is software compatability but server speed. For now I'm happy enough playing around with the site where it is as the Apple hosted site meshes neatly with the iWeb site building tool and eases my life building and maintaining the site. :oops:

von Peter
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:39 pm

barr7430 wrote: Modestly prevents me from in any way implying the superior Generalship was the battle winner at Waterloo 8) but I think you may wish to consider this possibility :wink:
And here was me thinking it was the superior tactics of Davout and Ney that won the day for the Emperor :wink:

As for the magazine, I bought a copy at Salute after you showed me the article Barry and then some swine pinched it from our display I'll need to see if I can find a copy somewhere in Edinburgh. In all the years I have attended shows and put on display games this is the first time I've ever had anything stolen.

Cheers
Dave
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:22 am

Thanks for the information gents.

My worries about the rules treating Frenchmen as supermen is somewhat swatted. :wink: I await with interest the Napoleonic rules for those big games. :D

Oh, and good luck wuth the Ligny 1815 game ... and the D-Day weekend.

von Peter himself
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:01 pm

I received my copy of WSS over the weekend. Well done Barry, it's a super article with lots hopefully to interest the readers as well as some great photos of our game.
There are also some wonderful Dutch Belgian cavalry highlighted in the middle of the article. I don't know where they came from as they certainly weren't at Kirriemuir !

Peter
Peter

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:47 am

Gentlemen,

echoes of our little Waterloo success continue to reverberate from the pages of WSS. In Issue #23 (Jul 07) the Editor has made a point of acknowledging the public response to the article and our LoGW efforts. He goes on to thank us and imply that any future efforts on our behalf will be welcomed by WSS. I had already mentioned to David that I had planned in conjunction with Kev and Adrian) to give Ligny a similar treatment.

Incidentally, Issue #23 of WSS is a cracker :D good articles, lovely piccies... hmmmm The War of Independence.................... :wink:

Henry Ford