Marlburian game

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Marlburian game

Post by obriendavid » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:28 am

Barry and Adrian, it was great to see you both yesterday and drool over your lovely display. Adrian's terrain is superb and I'm sorry I'm not going to see the full layout in November.

Barry we discussed the possibility of putting on a Marlburian game at one of the LOGW weekends next year and I had completely forgotten that Angus also has loads of stuff for this period as well so between you, me, Colin and Angus we should plenty to go round. How could I have forgotten about Angus, once met never forgotten. I also think Charles has lots of figures for this period as well.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:18 pm

Dave,

great to see you too! :D and that dastardly Colin Jack :evil: evil tempter of wargamers with the forbidden Hussitte fruits!!! Get yeah back Jack!!!

We need to make a compilation of available forces in a spreadsheet like we've previously done with the Naps... Do you want me to do that?

I'll need details of...
Regiment
Figures(number)
Army

from

Dave O'B
Colin
Charles
Angus

pls!

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:25 pm

barr7430 wrote: We need to make a compilation of available forces in a spreadsheet like we've previously done with the Naps
Will do Barry but I can tell you my French army only has about 2-3 French battalions in it the rest is made up of Swiss, Bavarians, Spanish and Germans but all the cavalry are French.

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:27 pm

And I'll also have Clare's Irish regiment in it once I get it painted, but it's a must have.

Cheers
Dave
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Malburian Game

Post by Blucher » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Dave. Great to see you and Colin at Partizan at the weekend. Must admit, i've been 'smitten' by this Period after Sunday! I would love to have a LoGW game of this Era. I would gladly volunteer to 'bring up the Low Countries' as i've proved i can transport it with any damage!!!

Adrian 'Louis of Baden' Howe
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

No Surrender

Post by Angus Konstam » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:34 am

Dear Barry et al,

As I'm not officially a member of the LoGW but just a hanger-on, then I'd need to be invited along by someone! However, if I was :lol: , here's what I could bring:

Oh, technically I don't have any Marlburian figures, only "1690" ones. They're all based up (near as dammit) to fit with ULB, and all are from the Williamite Army. I don't do Papes...

So far I have only four regiments of foot (1 brigade) and three regiments of horse painted, but I've got the lead for the rest, and will paint them in time for the game. That means the last four foot units and two horse regiments have still to be painted, which means their identities aren't cast in stone.

The Horse
• Sir John Laniers' Regiment of (English) Horse 12 figures
• Henry de Ruvigny’s Regiment of (Huguenot) Horse 12 figures
• The Earl of Portland’s Regiment of (Dutch) Horseguards 12 figures
• Van Eppinger’s Regiment of (Dutch) Guard Dragoons 12 figures
• Wolseley’s Regiment of (Irish) Horse 12 figures

The Foot
• Col. William Steuart’s Regiment of (English) Foot (formerly Cunninghame’s)
• Col. Richard Brewer’s Regiment of (English) Foot (formerly Wharton’s)
• The Scots Guards (the Hon. James Douglas)
• Graaf van Nassau Saarbruken Ottweiler’s Regiment of (Dutch) Foot
• Prince Frederik’s Regiment of Foot (Danish)
• Du Cambon’s Regiment of Foot (Huguenot)
• Prince George’s Regiment of Foot (Danish)
• George Hamilton’s Regiment of Foot (Irish) (formerly Lloyd’s)

The Train
Two Sakers, with crew.
1 Demi-Culverin with crew

Also, there's my pal Chris Henry - another former Royal Armouries curator - who now lives in Newburgh in Fife. He games the dirty Fenians and their French allies, but he also raised some of the good God-fearing Proddies. As memory serves here's what he has:
Williamites
• The Dutch Garde de Voet
• The Danish Foot Guard
• Lord Castleton's Regiment of Foot

• Lord Oxford's Blues (Horse)

Jacobites
• Lord Bellew's Regiment of Foot (Irish)
• The Lord Grand Prior’s Regiment (Irish)
• The Earl of Antrim's Regiment (Irish)
• Regiment Tounasais (French)
• Regiment Zurlauben (French)

• The Royal Horse Guards
• Patrick Sarsfield’s Horse

However, he's painted up more Papists since then, so I'd suspect he could add another three foot and two horse regiments to the list by now. I could either borrow his lead for the weekend, or you could extend him an invite. He's a good chap (although he looks a bit like the Ian Macshane character from Deadwood), and is good fun on a run ashore.

Prince Angus of Jaffa Cakes
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:12 am

Thanks for that King Citrus....

QUESTION: Can any of your Gentlemen remember what the second game of next year was slated to be???
Cowboys - March
????? - June
Samurai-November??

Perplexed of Paisley :shock:

Henry Ford
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Dear Perplexed,
I think a Peninsular game was mentioned . As for Malburians I can muster about 100 inf figs and 50 horse, these are figs from an abandoned project from 10 or so years ago and I have always fancied repainting them as Bavarians ( some of the cav have lobster pot helmets so no choice really ) Did have Bavarians before but sold them to DMac and they appeared on the front cover of one of the earlier WI's.
Kev
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Barry, here is my list of what I currently have painted, there is also a large lead mountain which has remained untouched for many years and this game would be a good excuse to get out the paints and add in all the extra cavalry and artillery I haven't gotten around to doing, plus of course Clare's battalion which I'll paint up as 16 strong. The main reason I haven't added any more to the list is that what I already have is plenty for a normal game at the club but all our LoGW weekends are anything but ordinary.

4 x Hanovarian Battalions 12 figs each
2 x Dutch Battalions 12 figs each
2 x Prussian Battalions 12 figs each
8 x British Battalions 12 figs each
1 x British grenadiers Battalion 12 figs
1 x British Guards Battalion 20 figs

1 x Dutch cavalry reg. 6 figs
2 x British cavalry reg. 6 figs each
2 x British dragoon regs. 9 figs each

4 x British battalions guns
1 x Dutch battalion gun
1 x British field gun

6 x Swiss Battalions 12 figs each
4 x Bavarian Battalions 12 figs each
3 x German Battalions 12 figs each
4 x Spanish Battalions 12 figs each
2 x French Battalions 12 figs each
1 x French Grenadier Battalion 12 figs
2 x French dismounted dragoon Battalions 12 figs each

3 x French cavalry reg. 6 figs each
1 x Bavarian cavalry reg. 8 figs
2 x French Dragoon regs. 8 figs each

3 x French field guns

From Kevins posting above and knowing what Colin has we should have plenty for a large bash if the guys are up for it.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:42 pm

Well, as usual with us lot it's down to democracy!!!
Thanks Kev.. I'd forgotten it was the Peninsula :oops: You are REALLY going to love Adrian's terrain.. Ligny will look stunning..

And hey... those BAVARIANS WERE YOURS :shock: .. you are a dark horse Kev :wink: .. I loved them when I saw them all those years ago and it was you all along 8)

Henry Ford
charge0.wanadoo.co.uk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Marlburian game

Post by charge0.wanadoo.co.uk » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:28 pm

Dear All, I am sorry to be slow to join the discussion. We have had two family bereavements in 3 days in late August (my wifes father and, very suddenly, my mother) so things are only just getting back to normal. Thankfully, with Charles jnr at home wargaming, figure painting and continuing my spanish village project have been exceelnt therapy and things are now back to normal. So.....
Yes, we did say a Spanish peninsular Napoleonic game. My armies for that pereiod are growing ( although no doubt dwarfed by Dale's) and I have a rediculously large scratch built spanish village/town now well advanced and aiming for completion by christmas for a game with my son. I would love to give it a run out for the LoGW next year. I would also be very happy to help with the organisation and not surprisingly I have a few ideas (oh no!)
Marlburian - well I can do every unit at Blenhiem (I think) but in 15mm and that is not what you want. I do however have two 25mm 1690's armies. French and British. The Cavalry (units of 12) will certainly do. So will the artillery. Most of the infantry (18/3) have one third (6) pikes which is not appropriate but there are a several all musket/fusilier regiments on each side and these would be OK. I can let you have more details but we are talking 6 cavalry regiments on each side and 2 fusilier regiments from each side and three guns on each side.
I also have some Ian Weekly 25mm Vauban fort sections if required.
I am really looking forward to our next engagement in November.
Yours aye, Charles
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Suggestion

Post by PaulMc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:38 pm

Gentlemen,

Might I perhaps suggest Oudenaarde? It will be the year of the 300th anniversary of said event after all.

Happy of Blantyre :D
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:46 am

Good one Paul.. and the way the schedule looks now it is going to creep into 2009. Looks like between us we may have enough gear to refight the battle unit for unit.. although I think we may be light on cavalry. Mind you, that would give enough time to paint up more!
Oudenaarde is the one of the big 4 I have never refought but ironically the only battlefield of these big four that I have visited :roll: It is an extremely large area much bigger than Waterloo - two or three times the size and not linear either with troops marching in from all directions :shock:
Could be a challenge...
1709-2009 could be Malplaquet - which is a little easier to set up.

PS... Charles are you the PENINSULAR organiser??

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:30 am

Oudenaarde sounds like a great future project and far enough away that I might even manage to get a few units painted up in time ! What rules, what regiment / squadron sizes, what don't we have ?

As for the games in 2008 we did agree that we have a big Napoleonic bash again and I think we settled on the Peninsula. In addition to my French and British forces I also have a fair number of Spanish troops including some wonderful San Miguel volunteer irregular cavalry. I do like cavalry with lances !

Looking forward to our November game. Adrian's terrain looks suberb.

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
TigerLili
Private First Class
Private First Class

Marlborough

Post by TigerLili » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:38 am

Hello Barry and all,

Great to see you and Adrian at Partizan with some of the Ligny terrain.
Have had a quick look through the Marlborough boxes and can supply the following:-

2 x British Infantry (12)
8 x Danish Infantry (12)
13 x Dutch Infantry (12)
19 x French Infantry (12)
4 x Spanish Infantry (12)
10 x Bavarian Infantry (12)
3 x Bavarian Cavalry (12)
4 x Dutch/Danish Horse (9)
1 x Hussar (12)
3 x French Cavalry (9)
2 x Spanish Cavalry (9)
10 Assorted Artillery

All needs re-based and de-glossed but this would be the ideal motivation.
It would be good to see some or all of them getting out to play again - it has been a year or two!
All the best,

Colin