MARCH WEEKENDER - LIGNY

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Sorry I hav'nt posted a message yet......but I've just finished unloading the car!!!

Firstly I'd like to thank all of you 'Gents' for your fantastic participation and 'spirit' in the way the game was played.

As you know, it was mine and Kev's first 'big game' as organisers and umpires- your tolerance was appreciated. I would like to give special thanks to Kevin for his relentless help in us getting the game 'on'. His 'town fighting' was a brilliantly thought out 'concept' and would not have allowed a game of this type and magnitued to even 'start' without them! Thanks also to Barry in his role of '3rd unofficial umpire'.

I've now got 'the bug' to organise another game and will DEFINATELY have the 'Samurai Game' making an appearance as one of the 2010 dates! I will be 'starting' to prepare it after the Falkirk Show!

Looking forward to seeing some of you at Falkirk where 'Little Ligny' will be again getting an 'airing'. The rest of you I look forward to seeing at the June Peninsular 'bash'.

Blucher
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi Guys
Glad you all had an enjoyable weekends gaming and thanks for all your kind comments. Adrian your terrain was spectacular and well worth the extra 3 months wait to see it , the whole thing was a work of art.
Everyones patience with the new boys umpiring was greatly appreciated .
Thanks to Peter and Dale for your help in supplying the French troops and special thanks to Peter M for making his Prussian contingent available .
I noticed in his Wargames journal that Angus is warming to the Prussians, now that really is an endorsement of the weekend. :shock:

Kevin
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:04 am

The game/weekend sounds like it was a roaring success. Congratulations to the organisors, the players, the army & terrain suppliers, and the rule writer(s?). And commiserations to those such as myself who did not attend! :lol:

Please let the forum know which issue of WSS the game will appear in so that I can commit all sorts of underhand tricks to get my hands on a copy.

Oh, and looking forward to taking a peek at the rules when they're deemed ready for general consumption.

Salute
von Peter himself, domiciled in New Zealand but looking at living in the UK (Bristol perhaps) for perhaps a year, perhaps from the end of this year
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:31 am

Peter,

new Ligny Gallery started... take a look! :D

And if you come to the UK maybe we'll see you! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:29 am

Hello Barry

Yes, I'd spotted the pictures. Very enticing and even a few Calpe's spotted (I'm a Calpe zealot! :shock: ).

And yes, I would very much like to meet up with some of the highbrow wargame types one way or another. :wink: I Also need to visit several shows, manufacturers, historic sites etc etc etc.

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:58 am

Firstly; good to see you all again Gents, from the feedback one can only assume that you all had as equally a good time as oneself. :D

Adrian - Terrain was superb - well done. :shock:
Kevin - Special rules for "In Town" conflict - excellent and realistic.
Adrian and Kevin - umpiring equitable and fair to the extreme. Thanks for your resolutions and tact. 8)

Personnaly found no difficulty in suppressing shouting "Vive La France", and my hero was young Lt. Schnapps - a chip off the "old block".
But still can't understand where all the horses went :?:

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend, even if a bit stressful for me - still enjoyed it very much :)

Adrian - best wishes for your "Tour" of Ligny on the wargames show front. I'll look forward to Carronade.

Barry - Artillery and Cavalry charge rule changes, did'nt get to use these personnaly as all my command were foot sloggers :shock: :shock: - but they seem worthwhile and realistic amendments from their effects on the players around me.

Barry - I shall run through an open field debacle with the Crimean Figs at the Club using the rules as they are just now (assuming this is with your blessing), and introduce some amendments for Crimea later on. Event cards I shall also revisit, and some form of seige rules to augment "In town" to reflect heavily defended positions (Redan and Malakoff) might be worked out for later in the year.

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:57 am

thinredline wrote: Personnaly found no difficulty in suppressing shouting "Vive La France", Thinredline
That's because of your dice which only seemed to have sixes on it and a d10 that only seemed to roll 9's and 10's :cry:

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:02 pm

Funny that , I'm sure Barry's dice only had 9's and 10's as well. Must have been standard Prussian issue.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Might I respectfully suggest that "the die were loaded in our favour" :lol:
or, possibly "gott mien uns" :roll:
After all, the Umpires could never be accused of being biased - they did a splendid job (for the Prussians anyway)
Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."