MARCH WEEKENDER - LIGNY

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

MARCH WEEKENDER - LIGNY

Post by Blucher » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Gentlemen

With time moving quicker than a 'routing French Old Guard Regiment' (snigger!), I thought it time we had a 'roll call'. I've taken the trouble of 're-listing' (below) the 'original players' from the 'aborted' November game.
If any of you Gents can not now make the game, please 'post' message, otherwise we will continue as previous arrangements. Kevin is currently putting the final touches to the 'orbats, etc' and will be in touch with you Gents who are kindly supplying figures.

'Gentlemen Players':

Barry Hilton
Peter Nicholson
Andrew Nicholson
Peter McCarroll
Dale Smith
Charles Grant
Colin Jack
Dave O'Brien
Bob Lauder
Paul McLauclin
Angus Konstam
Steve Shaw

Dale has sorted 'the logistics' up in Kirrie for a 'THURSDAY' night 'Shunt' of tables and boards. This is due to the game being 'set-up' DURING Friday (by myself and Kevin). We are only 'dumping' the 'gear' on the Thursday night, however, I would'nt normally ask, but if the more 'local' guys are available to lend a hand as usual, Dale and I would really appreciate it. If I think of anything else, i'll 'post it'.

Thanks

'Blucher'
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Dear Von Blucher,

I may well make it to the battlefield on Friday early afternoon(just like the Prussians at Waterloo!)

I have been doing extremely extensive rewrites of R2E which I hope will be playtested and finished in time for Ligny. If they are not we'll simply use an updated version of the rules we are all familiar with.

I am very excited about the rewrites though as they will introduce a level of decisiveness as yet unseen in our Naps games.. more soon...
that trip to the US out of the reach of my paint table was actually very useful as it allowed me to concentrate on the rules stuff I'd been promising myself for months!! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Colin, Angus and myself will be up around 5pm as usual.

Cheers
Dave
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Some of us will probably still be up at 5am if they keep the bar open!

BTW, I hope Andrew Nicholson is coming on as reinforcements. The chance for wisecracks about "the late Mr. Nicholson" is just too good to miss.. :twisted:

Adrian: Am I down for the Frogs or the Huns?

Angus
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:12 pm

All of 'the players' nationalities will be revealed on the Friday night. The only thing that I can promise at this stage is that ALL players will be either French OR Prussian.
As you all know already the Umpires are 'Prussian', and who knows what Kev and I have planned for the rest of you!

Blucher.
charge0.wanadoo.co.uk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Arrival time for Ligny

Post by charge0.wanadoo.co.uk » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:08 pm

My offer to come and help on Friday still stands - if I am not required I will turn up mid Friday afternoon to check in (and to help Angus in the bar is nothing else). Charles
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:12 pm

The early and the late Mr Nicholsons will be there - no doubt on opposing sides - much for the amusement of our fellow LoG Wargamers! You won't be surprised to hear that we argue as much when we're on the same side .

Frenchies are mustering as we speak and my small Prussian contingent are priming their muskets and sharpening their lances. Should be a great game. So much so that Andy and I have booked in to stay at the Airdrie for the Saturday night.

Till March
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:51 am

sharnydubs wrote: Should be a great game. So much so that Andy and I have booked in to stay at the Airdrie for the Saturday night.
That's a shame because the rest of us are staying in the Airlie :lol:

Look forward to seeing you both. Maybe Adrian's 'friend' Wendy might put in an appearance :wink:

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:00 pm

eh, YOUR friend I think Dave :wink:

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:06 pm

Adrian,

I should be available for the "Thursday evening shunt". :arrow:

I can't promise for sure, but I may also be available all day Friday, and that I shall confirm later. :)

Kind regards,
Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Barry , can you give us a heads up on the rules changes for the next game. I know Kevin has a subset for the fighting in villages piece because I have play tested them with him but I've picked up from your other comments that you have revised RtoE since we last played them.

Hopefully you've revised the supported/ unsupported piece. Keven , Andrew and I had a short Napoleonics game the other week and ignored this section , primarilly because we were fighting with limited numbers of battalions but it did lead to a faster, easier game.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Gents

Just on an 'obscure point', could I please ask any of you that have 'portable lighting?', such as spot lights/floodlights, or equivalent, to consider bringing them along.
If you remember the 'new management' at the 'AIRDRIE' have blocked up the windows and it was a 'bit dim' up there last time. With a few 'lights' plugged in, up in the 'disco booth' we might be able to throw 'some light about'.
If Dale or one of the Kirrie Gents could possibly 'pop up' the 'AIRDRIE' and have a word with them to check/repair/replace the bulbs etc in the room, that would help because about 'half' of the wall and roof lights were 'out' as well.

Blucher
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:44 pm

Strangely enough Adrian I was going to make enquiries about hiring a couple of High powered photographic lamps for the weekend. I want to take some really good pics of the game for:

1. Republic to Empire which we are now starting to work on as a commercial project
2. The article for WSS on Ligny

If anyone knows of a source for the light... a 'light source' :roll: asdvice gratefully received :D

Henry Ford
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:54 am

Gentlemen ( I use the term in the loosest term possible :lol: )
could I ask you to bring along any barracade / abandoned wagons and smoke / flame type pieces you may have to help recreate the forth coming carnage in and around the sleepy village of Ligny.
cheers
Kevin
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:00 pm

Gentlemen,
I forgot to add, if you have any Brigade/ corps command figures as well as I think we have sometimes been a bit short on these.
Kevin