PENINSULA GAME JUNE 2008

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:48 pm

Well guys, I'm sitting here at the internet in my hotel in the sunny Dominican Republic looking out at over the local Spanish town. Looks like I have missed another wonderful game.

Thanks Angus for posting the pictures so quickly. Believe it or not this game is the first ever outing for my Spanish infantry so I am keen to hear how they performed. My San Miguel lancers (nice photo Angus) are battle hardened and hopefully they covered themselves in glory this weekend. Battle reports please !

Glad to hear the weekend went. Any decisions made over future weekends?

chow

Pedro
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:46 pm

As another 'Gentleman' abroad I must add my congratulations to CSG for his absolutely fantastic scenario which achieved another first for us... 3 parallel, link but unconstricted games and total emersion for all players from the kick off. Many lessons learned yet again.
The bar chat on Friday was of the best quality I can remember, thanks Adrian for setting yourself up so well to be mocked mercilessly for the rest of the weekend.. Scots Gays indeed :shock:

Lots of ideas too, great forward calendar.. what we are actually seriously committing to games through 2010 now :shock:

Really sorry I had to fly(literally) on saturday and only actually made it to Kansas at 0700 GMT on Monday morning due to George Bush closing Heathrow and Thunder storms over the prairies. Did get a CNN news update on the game result from Adrian.

It was great to see everyone. Really enjoyed Paul's Isandhlwana pics too :D

Angus you definitely cheated with the 6 rolling either that or you should be burned at the stake as a witch :twisted:

Looking forward to getting my Mountain Men into tham thar hills in November.

Piccies from me on my return from the Colonies

Toodle Pip
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:51 pm

Yes Peter

dates for 2009 decided and booked at the Airlie. Andy and you :shock: to book the Heugh.

I think we decided:

Nov 08 COWBOYS N'STUFF Messrs Jack n O'Brien
Mar 09 WW2 Disposable Heroes Meself
Jun 09 Refight of MALPLAQUET 300th Anniversary: AK,CJ,DO'B, CSG,BH
Nov 09 Indian Mutiny PN :lol:

Crimean
Isandlwhana
?

Can't remember the rest!!! :oops:

Henry Ford
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:15 pm

Gents

Yet another fantastic game and weekend. Much praise must be heaped on Charles for a really well thought out and executed game. Tremendous Spanish Town and as a 'fellow Builder' i can appreciate the levels you have gone to for such a stunning result.

I think that as the quality and detail of our games continue to go ever forward i'm wondering if for the March WW2 game, Barry will be actually growing 'bonsai'd hedging' for our troops to fight over rather than lichen and flock!

Great 'banter' as usual over the 2 days and nights, with Saturday night (even by our standards) being a 'heavy session' to the point of Peter Mc, Bob and Angus eventually being 'kicked out' of The Airlie!

Blucher
charge0.wanadoo.co.uk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thank you all

Post by charge0.wanadoo.co.uk » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm

Gentlemen, Many kind words have followed the weekend and for which I am extremely grateful and very flattered but this was not a solo effort. Firstly, I must thank Barry for his help and advice (and excellent rules) and coming over to my home to talk through some of my ideas and for his helpful suggestions which were incorporated and undoubtedly helped to make it all work. Secondly to all those who provided terrain and figures (even in their absence and you would have been proud of your Spanish Peter). Finally to all you fine Gentlemen whose attitude and fellowship are really the essence (spirit!!) of the weekend. I am already looking forward to our next meeting – and then of course we have Malplaquet to consider (did I really volunteer to help?). In the meantime thank you all for a great weekend. Charles
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Thank you all

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:56 pm

charge0.wanadoo.co.uk wrote:Finally to all you fine Gentlemen whose attitude and fellowship are really the essence (spirit!!) of the weekend. Charles
Charles, I thougt Highland Park was the spirit of the weekend? all two bottles of it.

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:00 pm

Blucher wrote:Gents
Great 'banter' as usual over the 2 days and nights, with Saturday night (even by our standards) being a 'heavy session' to the point of Peter Mc, Bob and Angus eventually being 'kicked out' of The Airlie!
Blucher
I don't think they were thrown out, I think they fell out because they were so pi**ed :lol:
I even caught Angus wandering about our room at 3 in the morning trying to get out the front door to have a pee. Perhaps I should have left him and see where he would have ended up.

Cheers
Dave
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:39 pm

Just like to add my thanks to Charles for a great weekends gaming and to agree with everyone that the 3 table setup worked really well and to see the builing/ ruin concept for real as opposed to photos in the classic wargames books on my bookshelf was a treat.
Peter your San Miguel Volunteers were rubbish they only managed to rout 2 French Hussar Regiments :evil:
Looking forward to the next one in Nov.
Kevin
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 am

Point taken Dave.

The 3 gents concerned were not 'kicked out/barred' due to 'bad behaviour' but were asked to leave because the poor staff at The Airlie did want to get home at some point over the weekend!

Blucher
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Gents,

I will admit that Bob, Peter and I did "close the bar" at 1.30am (well, they'd run out of most things anyway), and that Rioja, Deuchars and Highland Park make for a particularly heady cocktail.

Oh and Dave: Next time I'll know exactly where to have my 3am pee...

Pip Pip,

"Daddy" Hill
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Angus in the Buff :o

When I saw the title of Barry's pic I feared for the worse but fortunately it wasn't Angus' nightime wanderings but some lovely pics from our great weekend. Can we arrange to have pick of Dale's execution after his Court Martial :lol:

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:53 pm

Has Dale been executed :shock:
Did it make the Kirriemuir Daily Planet and was that photographer there to capture the moment (as he usually is when Dale is around). I think he is actually in Dale's employ and is taking pics for the Biography due out in 2009 :wink:

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:54 pm

Incidentally chaps, if anyone wants copies of the original pics I have around 50 rather nice ones and am happy to send if you let me know :D

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:20 pm

barr7430 wrote:Has Dale been executed :shock:
Not yet but he will be after he has a fair and just trial regarding his performance and refusing to obey orders on the Sunday.
It's a pity you missed the second day and hopefully this won't happen again when we have our get togethers.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:48 pm

I will make sure of it Dave!!!!

Henry Ford