WSS #37 Sept 08 - LIGNY DOSSIER

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

WSS #37 Sept 08 - LIGNY DOSSIER

Post by barr7430 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:56 pm

The lads at WSS have done us proud with another finely laid out dossier, this time on Ligny to match our previous Waterloo.
This time it is 15 pages long with 24 photographs.
A really nice layout.

Now we need to go for the triple... Quatre Bras + WAVRE as a double header...

Then we'll have the entire 100 Days Campaign in the bag...what about it chaps? :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:23 pm

If we must!

Count me in. I'm sure that with a little bit of 'tweeking' we could adapt the 'Ligny layout' to become Wavre. I'm sure that I could probably be able to 'knock up' a likeness of buildings to represent the farms at Quatre Bras as well!

Hopefully pick up my copy of WSS over the next week when it 'its 'WH Smiths'. Looking forward to it!
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:10 pm

Just received my copy yesterday. Glad to see such an extensive spread again although where was the picture this time of the players or that glorious scene of the Prussians in Ligny being driven into the river ?

I'm supportive of a Napoleonic game every year although it would be good to do some earlier stuff especially Austerlitz, Borodino, Eylau (basically anything that needs Russians and yes Prussians as well).

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:25 pm

You just can't please all of the people all of the time can you? :roll:

Prussians in the river....hmmmm :? that would've been the one battalion that held up a division for about half a day then would it Peter :wink:

And as for a picture of the players..... I was not responsible for that shot this game.. didn't the chef take it or something :shock: (and by that I don't mean the chef de bataillon!) :D

Henry Ford
charge0.wanadoo.co.uk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by charge0.wanadoo.co.uk » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:37 am

Dear Barry, An excellent article - well done. Wonderful photos and a great write up. I have emailed you separately to follow up our discussion about contributing to your write up of the Spanish game. As to Napoleonic every year - bring it on.
Yours aye, Charles
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:53 am

If it involves pushing mountains of lead around ever expanding tables - I'm up for it. Quatre Bras + Wavre - why not. 8)
A Nappy game a year - yes please :D

Were it not for the fact that I now only receive one publication ("The War Correspondent") curtesy of the Crimean War Research Society I might have been able to comment on the article - but then having played in the game more than substitutes for that :D

Must remove the blinkers one day and focus on another period :shock:

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
Fire at Will
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fire at Will » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:46 am

Great article and photos, the only thing missing for me was a photo of the complete set up to give an idea of scale.

Thanks to all involved for such inspiring stuff

Will
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: WSS #37 Sept 08 - LIGNY DOSSIER

Post by obriendavid » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:32 pm

barr7430 wrote:The lads at WSS have done us proud with another finely laid out dossier, this time on Ligny to match our previous Waterloo.
Now we need to go for the triple... Quatre Bras + WAVRE as a double header...
Then we'll have the entire 100 Days Campaign in the bag...what about it chaps? :D
You know I'll be up for it. It would also be interesting to refight Ligny with the new rules to see if we got a different result. I was also reading an account in a book where the French artillery was able to bombard Prussian reinforcements behind the villages because guns and targets were on higher ground. Don't seem to remember that happening in our battle but I suppose I spent most of my time battling with Paul over one of the villages.

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:53 am

Yes, I would like to refight Ligny again sometime especially since Adrian has that superb terrain. This time we'll find out early where the ford in the river is!

Also give a chance for those of you busy painting up more troops to get your Frenchies on the table.

I like the idea of French artillery batteries bombarding the Prussians on the other side of the villages. But what I really need is a rule to allow French cavalry to charge , formed in move one out of a village ! Either that or a safe back door .

Peter
Peter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:36 am

sharnydubs wrote:Yes, I would like to refight Ligny again sometime especially since Adrian has that superb terrain. But what I really need is a rule to allow French cavalry to charge , formed in move one out of a village ! Either that or a safe back door .
Peter
Wishfull thinking Peter, even with the new rules you won't be able to exactly do that but with the exploitation rules the French will be able to perform much better than the last time and provided you have enough movement points and space you will be able to march through the village, form up and charge but the enemy will also be able to react to your moves.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:40 pm

D'ya hear that Blucher? Le Francaises or would that be Die Fransosen? want another taste of Preusser Stahl!

The game would crack along at a pace with the revised R2E there is no doubt about that. I think the village attacks would be exploited quickly.

Adrian and Kevin deliberately decided to ignore the higher ground behind Ligny.. can't remember why but there was a reason!

A mini campaign on maps BEFORE our weekend might be an idea at some point.
In fact a LoGW mini campaign might be a good idea full stop......

Engagements could be fought at SESWC, EK, Kirrie Club, Stonehaven and Bankfoot!!!... if forces were colliding here and there across Europe we could have a system of Alliances, army building, politiking, supply, commerce etc etc.. might stimulate painting of small collections, filling in gaps in collections - cross theatre wars...
Russian Expiditionary Corps to Spain?..... Alliance between the Russians and the Turks... Arrival of an American Free Corps on the shores of Galway?... Another French and Indian War with the Americans on the French side this time.... what do you think chaps...

this Gulf sun is going to my head :roll: 8) (ah.. got th shades on now!)

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:27 pm

barr7430 wrote:A mini campaign on maps BEFORE our weekend might be an idea at some point.
In fact a LoGW mini campaign might be a good idea full stop......
Engagements could be fought at SESWC, EK, Kirrie Club, Stonehaven and Bankfoot!!!... if forces were colliding here and there across Europe we could have a system of Alliances, army building, politiking, supply, commerce etc etc.. might stimulate painting of small collections, filling in gaps in collections - cross theatre wars...
Russian Expiditionary Corps to Spain?..... Alliance between the Russians and the Turks... Arrival of an American Free Corps on the shores of Galway?... Another French and Indian War with the Americans on the French side this time.... what do you think chaps...
Sounds like a great idea. I can just see my American Expeditionary Force landing in Portugal, Spain, France or Ireland to help their revolutionary cousins. The playtesting of the rules has inspired me get all my unpainted 1812 war figures back onto the painting shelf.

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:05 am

A Napoleonic campaign. Count me in. Politics, intrigue, supply chain , alliances and the occasional battle. What more could a seasoned wargamer ask for ? The possibilities are endless. The planning would be monumental !

Peter
Peter

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:53 pm

yes it is a rather interesting idea.. I think it may be a combined ops effort...

I can see us needing the talents of Messrs Jack and Grant on this :D

I am happy to get involved in the organising....

OK Here is my first suggestion fo the divvy:

Dale : Napoleon
Peter: Bernadotte
Colin: Chinese Tong Gang
Dave O'Brien: Nigerians
Adrian: Italians
Kev: Austrians
Angus: Catholic Irish Rebels or Papal States
Charles:The Swedes
Steve Shaw: Lancastrians
Me: The Mad Baron
Peter McCarroll: The Covenanters (he lives in Ayrshire)
Paul : Swiss
Andrew Nicholson: Wyatt Earp's Posse
Andy T: Charlie Company
Dave Tulloch : Tayside Constabulary

oops... I think I got mixed up there (but maybe not) :wink:

How about:

Russians (2 players)
Prussians(2 players)
Austrians(1 player)
British(1or 2 players)
Americans (1 player)
Bavarians(1 player)
Spanish(1 player)
French(3-4 players)
Dutch/Belgians/Nassau (1 player)

with insurrections and interventions from guest stars.. Turks, Irish, Italians etc

Henry Ford
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:56 pm

Guys

With regard to the point about 'Froggie artillery fire' at the Ligny game, it was decided that due to the 'depth' of our Villages/Ligny (with Ligny itself occupying 6 x 4 ft) under the 'old R2E' most artillery could'nt even fire 'the width of the town'. So we 'ignored' it! Under the 'new R2E' however.................

I like the idea of all that is mentioned about a 'campaign'...................but I don't know if I can face 'Prussian Blue Paint' again for a while!

I'm so enjoying painting 'cow-hide shields'!!!!!

USUTHU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!