Malplaquet, 1709/2009

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 am

Dale,

Where would a LoGW battle be without you? After all, the French CinC needs somebody to court martial when it all goes horribly wrong...
Marlburian is indeed a period, just like "Napoleonic". It doesn't even need inverted commas, to show dissaproval of Imperial pretentions!

Best,

Angus
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:53 pm

I know I don't know much about this period, so 'defer' to you 'lerned Gents' but is this Morrismalpas 'thingy' an actual battle?

Reason I ask is that I've just looked through a book by a certain Charles Stewart Grant and theres no mention of it!

It give details of a few other 'bun fights' around this era. There's a Bleeenhym, Schiilingchrisdeburgh and a few others. Nothing on the one I'm wanting to paint some figures for!!!

Thought it would be nice to paint some Prussian Cavalry -just for a change!- But don't want any to have 'floppy, felt shite' hats (as Angus would say).

Can anyone help?

'Confused of Grimsby'
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Brandenburg-Prussia

Post by PaulMc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:23 pm

Hi Adrian,

I can get you uniform and flag details for any unit you like, just let me know which ones you wish to paint and I'll email them to you. The cavalry are mostly in white, I can't do anything about the hats though, it's tricornes all the way.
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:58 pm

I love it Adrian..

The Battle of Morrismalpas 1709 :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 am

Chris de Burgh and Maurice Malpas - am i in the right hobby !
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:12 am

Gentlemen,

Malplakkers is a jolly big battle, and it'll take a bit of forethought and planning to get all the right kit onto the table, and in the right place. We'll be posting a few messages over the next few weeks, in an effort to make up in planning what we might lack in forethought!

The first step though, is to put the call out for players. As we see it, while we'll have overall commanders, everyone also gets a field command. Depending on numbers this should involve two halves - a foot command of about 12 battalions, and a cavalry command of around 16 squadrons. In Beneath the Billy Banners that's about the largest one can sensibly shuffle around without it turning into a fag.

If we get an excess of volunteers, then we'll split command, so that a foot commander gets an assistant lead-shuffler, but when the cavalry battle start the lead-shuffler commands the horse, and the foot commander becomes the assistant.

We essentially have six main commands for each side;

Allies:
Prince of Orange (right - Dutch)
Earl of Orkney (centre right - British)
Count Lottum (centre - Prussians & Hanovarians)
Count Schulenberg (left - Imperialists and "subsidy troops")
(we actually need two Schullenberg players (we'll call the other Prince Eugene) - an ideal command for siblings who want to work together for a change)
General Withers ("far left flanking force"British and "subsidy troops")

In addition there are five cavalry commands;
(Count Tilly, General Wood, Prince of Hesse-Kassel, Duke of Wurttemberg and General de Auvergne)

French
Compte d' Albergotti (left - in the woods)
General Goesbriand (centre left)
General De Guiche (centre right)
Count D'Artagnan (right - needs two players)
Marshal Boufflers (French Guard - already reserved for Dale)

The French have three cavalry commands;
(Duc de Luxembourg, Marquis de la Valliere, Marquis de Puysegur)

As well as having a French food command of his choice, Brigadier Charles will also act as the French commander (Marshal Villars). The identity of the Duke of Marlborough will be disclosed later. Both sides should have people who are au fait with the rules, but Barry (who'll be playing) will be the ultimate arbiter.

Anyway, please make a bid for one side or the other, and state any preference for a particular command. For my part, I think the title of the Earl of Orkney has a nice ring to it!

Pip Pip,

Angus
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Angus Konstam wrote:Gentlemen, please make a bid for one side or the other, and state any preference for a particular command. For my part, I think the title of the Earl of Orkney has a nice ring to it!
Angus
I am more than happy to command the Irish Brigade and not just because they should be rated as Vetern Guard Elites :lol:

Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:25 pm

As long I as get to kill "Frenchies", I don't really care, if that's off the back of a horse, even better. :D :D
So, Dale's a "Frenchie" :roll: Dave O Brien - bring that sword :wink: - I may have a use for it 8)
Bob :lol: :lol:
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:03 am

I think the command for Eugene and Schullenberg have our names written all over them .
"If you go down to the woods today you're sure of a big surprise "

Peter and Andy
Peter

Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:31 pm

I've just seen the word 'PRUSSIAN'........so i'll 'toss my hat in the ring' for COUNT LOTTUM , if thats alright chaps.

(He was probably a distant relative, on my mother's side anyway!!!)

Regards

A

PS. I've just noticed that the 'Von Nicholson twins' are on 'my' side too!!!

Thats the 3 of us together!!!!!!!!!!!

God help the French!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:58 pm

Angus, as I know nothing about the period let alone any tactics or who is who it might be best if I skulked behind the earthworks with the French and spent the weekend shooting at the allies in the open.
Kev
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:17 am

Thanks for the French Guard Angus. I have no idea what they did or didn't do at Malplaquet but I presume its a poisoned chalice. Did they stay within a single two foot tile for the whole battle? Now , if I'd been given a free choice of command which would I have gone for. Ehm......French Guard it is then.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Gents, having just acquried a regiment of Walloons for the game (they almost look Russian to me ) can anyone point me in the direction of the appropriate place / book to find details of their standard ?

many thanks
Peter

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm

Peter,

was that a regiment of Walloons or Balloons :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Technically Walloons although they might fight like Balloons. They have green coats which appealed, especially since the Russians weren't at Malplaquet.
Peter