Malplaquet, 1709/2009

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Not being able to hear the guy next to you MAY be an advantage depedning on WHO that guy is :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
wyrdbrother
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wyrdbrother » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 am

Dale, As the one with the supposedly largest appetite, I'm happy with all your suggestions for the food. During these weekends I would always prefer to spend less time eating and more time gaming. My ever expanding waistline tends to agree.
Having said that, it is good to have one sit down meal where we can all discuss the diary for future events so I think your plans will tie in well with this.
Looking forward to the weekends events.

Cheers, Andrew
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:40 am

Andy / I will have a couple of spare seats on the Saturday to ferry about anyone without transport.
I agree we need a hostelry where we can hear each other speak. I'm keen to discuss our winter Indian Mutiny game and don't want to be shouting about Pandies at high volume. I get enough strange looks as it is !
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:49 am

We should easily be able to transport ourselves to Drumshademuir in four cars. Mine is available, only three to go. Jim at the restaraunt has indicated that we should let him know during Saturaday whether we want High Teas or full dinners. We can look at menus and discuss on Saturday.

On Friday, for those so disposed, I still have boxes of beer to pour down the throats of willing participants, and you will be able to leisuely converse with your neighbour at talk level. :lol: :wink:

As for a pub on Saturday night, they are all very busy. Maybe you could try the Kilt and Clogs. Adrian will have his kilt on and everyone else could wear clogs. :D :D

Looking forward lads, although I believe that was not one of the characteristics of Boufflers.

PS It is roumoured that I don't get to move anything until late Sunday. :roll: Same old, same old.
I think this is my first ever use of Emoticons. You know how I never like to overdo things but :D :) :o :shock: :? :lol: :P :wink: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:16 pm

Dale

For obvious reasons I do not have a Kilt.

However, after a few drinks, Angus may think all his Christmases had come at once! ......................

My wife has a Vivienne Westwood outfit. If I was to use the skirt, it is 'tartany' with a Pirate style 'bent'..................................!!!!!!

'Angus Heaven'...............
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:15 pm

Angus is into Bent Pirates??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Henry Ford
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Barry, I just can't add anything to that last post :shock: but Adrian, there are no obvious reasons for not having a kilt. You don't travel all the way from Grimsby as a token Englishman - you're an honorary Scot. Get youself a kilt and all those commanding Dutch troops can wear clogs! As Boufflers do I need a blonde, curly wig? :o

Anyone reading all of these posts is going to get a strange view of us all but, "Ahem - I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK ........". :lol:

PS There really is a pub in Kirriemuir called Kilt and Clogs. Oops! Shelagh has just informred me that it is now called Three Bellies Brae. Now that's what I call imagination. :D :lol:
mikeb
Private
Private

Post by mikeb » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:38 pm

OK ... Who won??

Mike B
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:00 am

Hi, Mike B.

The Bavarians!

Imrie
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:08 am

Mike,

A glorious French victory.. full details soon but a taster picture can already be seen

Henry Ford
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:27 am

My thanks to all the guys for a great weekend. Angus, Charles and Dave did a great job getting this monster of a game to work! It has totally revived my interest for this period!
Although I only managed to played on about four feet of the massive table… it was one of the best and hard fought games I have played in.

Special thanks to Adrian (need another staff officer), you were a great sport and from move one launched a ferocious attack on my redoubts (leading from the front). It was clear that the lord blessed the Bavarian cause! The only explanation for the dice score you were getting was the hand of the lord?
David Imrie
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:39 am

Thanks again to Angus, Dave O'Brien and Charles for all their hard work this weekend. It was great to see so many beautifully painted and based figures and set pieces. I particularly liked some of Barry's redoubts and the visual effect of the massed cavalry. I have also learned that uniforms and flags of the period can be conjectural where historical references are not available which is a nice change for the heavy research you often have to do for other periods.

Thanks to to Bob who as master tile provider ensures we have enough ground to fight over. Which brings me to my first question. Are we in danger of now having too much terrain to fight over given the amount of time we have over the weekend? At infantry moves of 2" in wood, 4" in line and 8" in column its unlikely you will move more than 2 or 3 tiles distance in a weekend. This reduces further if your commander is unable to command the full 100% every turn and even further if you actually engage any enemy or have to cross any obstacles. From our table my brother Andrew spent the entire weekend on four tiles, Adrian and Dave Imrie seemed to be similar (if not less!) and my own infantry were largely confined to two tiles in the woods and a few on the periphery. As Dave O'Brien said in conclusion we managed over 30 turns which equated to eleven hours compared to the six hours of the actual battle. Perhaps we should look at using fewer tiles in future big games and starting our troops closer to the enemy. Just a thought. It would give people more action quicker. Bear in mind Andrew did not fire his first shot in anger until nearly lunch time on Sunday.

I must apologise publicly to Dave O'Brien for my public outburst of frustration when he introduced the "getting lost in the woods" rule on Sunday. Being an umpire is not easy and challneging players like me must be a real pain in the neck. It was a slow slog in the woods. At 2" in line, 4" in column and visibility only four inches it was a challenge. bearing in mind that as attackers you were always disordered, nearly always out of the 4" command radius, always unsupported the best you could hope for when forced to take a morale test was "Shaken" unless you rolled a natural six. And speaking from experience if you do roll too many sixes people get suspicious!

I do like the cavalry rules. I thought they worked well. Despite getting decimated by artillery fire I was still able to press home at least one charge into infantry and do some damage. My commiserations to Adrian who failed six cavalry charges in a row with the same squadron by rolling consecutive sixes.

Barry is to be commended for writing a set of rules which cover so well the vaguaries of the period and cope admirably with the challenging situations which can arise in a game. I look forward to my next outing in this period although I think I will not be volunteering for a command which takes me anywhere near the woods again!
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
wyrdbrother
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wyrdbrother » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:23 am

I too want to add my thanks to Angus, Dave & Charles for all their hard work and research for the game. It's always great to meet up with everyone at these weekenders.

My appalling dice rolling for orders coupled with half movement trying to get over the stream when I did get too move prevented me from doing very much. Maybe for this size of table we could look at doubling movement if outwith 24" of the enemy as we have on some other games. :idea:

It never ceases to amaze me of the number of gas attacks we have on these weekenders :!:

Cheers, Andrew
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:04 pm

I think you guys are forgetting that this is not Napoleonics that we were fighting. Troops is this period were not as well trained or drilled to manoeureve as well as later troops. The other problem could be that if we allowed the roops to start closer then the battle could have been over by Saturday and also you would have seriously been affected the French artillery shooting as the positional guns had a range of 48" Roger on one flank and Adrian in the right centre were both in action very early on in the battle so it was just unfortunate that you were bringing up the rear of the allied right flank and also got lousy dice rolls. There were a few rules that we didn't use in the game which could have slowed you up even more but most people seemed to enjoy the game.

Cheers
Dave
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks for another enjoyable weekends gaming especially to those envolved in the organising of it all.
Looks like the pre game Allied bravado has gone oot the window
from the what was it again ? oh yes " 3 horsemen of the Appocalypse" :lol:
Schnapps