20-22 MARCH

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

20-22 MARCH

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 am

Chaps,

another belting weekend. Really enjoyed it particularly our wee evening at Dale's :lol:

If anyone has any ideas for future cards please let me know as I will construct usable ideas into something for the future 8)

My highlights:

Andrew's drop shot onto his brother 16 feet away
Kev's redirect of Andrew's drop shot onto his own Panther toward's Dave's Sherman
Bob's Churchill with engine trouble at the bridge
Dave O'B's accrual of ZERO's in the Property Stakes Derby
Angus allowing Bob to casually run over his own men in a Churchill
The 8th Air Force :twisted:

Didn't fancy yours much at the THRUMS David, Dave, Charles, Colin & Angus....
The Crime Lord Mrs Miggins and her dodgy shower was a much safer option :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
charge0.wanadoo.co.uk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by charge0.wanadoo.co.uk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Dear Barry, Very many thanks for setting up a great weekend. Most enjoyable both gaming and company. Many thanks to Dale (mine's another orange juice!) for Friday night - very generous and great fun. The Guide Hut combined with the Arlie will be a great combination for gaming and admin/support (food,drink and bed) in future.
As to Thrums, well it was probably a close run thing but I dont think I could face the Miggins familly saga!
Well done, yours aye, Charles
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Barry, many thanks for two great games. I really liked the town fighting mechanism on Sunday and the new cards although you need some serious counselling on the RAF and Amercian Airforce ! I don't think they ever hit what they were supposed to.

I'm delighted that Andy and I managed to keep the LOGW entertainment levels high again. One of these games we might even play on the same side.

Thanks to to Dale and the Kirrie club for a great venue and to Charles, Angus and Dave for an enlightening talk on Malplaquet.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Another great weekend as usual and thanks have to go to Barry for all his hard work arranging the games and all the Kirrie boys for sorting out all the arrangements with the hall, food and transport.

The only downside to the weekend was the continual baracking from the umpire as well as his slight of hand when dealing out the property cards.
He has the check to complain that you're not moving fast enough then promptly dumps all the bombs from the USAF on them when they go racing up the road. :twisted:

The highlight for me was how long my French a/c's survived in the first game.

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by obriendavid on Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Gentlemen,

Another enjoyable weekend, even though Barry took a very jaundiced view of the abilities of the RAF, the USAF and US Corps Artillery!

My highlights were Andrew's delight when he discovered he could shoot at his brother across 18 feet of table, and Dale's two-man squad, skulking in a cellar all day just so he could claim he was still contesting a long-lost village!

My only whine is that the DH rules are a little slow, given the "one at a time" nature of them. We might look at ways to speed that up, or next time we might even change the pace and opt for Charles Grant Senior's Battle: Practical Wargaming (1970), which should stand up well to "gentlemanly" punishment...

Well done Barry, and I'm now looking forward to the next one.

BTW, I've posted pictures on the website.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:45 pm

Jaundiced :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll have you know that I have seen the world through a yellow haze since I had Hepatitis as a child :wink:

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:26 pm

barr7430 wrote:Jaundiced :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll have you know that I have seen the world through a yellow haze since I had Hepatitis as a child :wink:
That might explain some of your painting :lol:

Cheers
Dave
Angus Konstam
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Angus Konstam » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Dave,

Very witty, and particularly rich for someone who'se been in a purple haze since the 60's...
8)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:27 pm

When was that 7th Cavalry AVATAR taken... Angus you told me that was in the 40's :P

Henry Ford
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks Gentlemen for another great weekend, thorougly enjoyed both games with the Sunday just shading it but only because it was a different take on our normal WW2 games.
Highlights:
1. Redirecting the aforementioned 18 foot shot off my Panther and onto Daves Sherman.
2. Not losing a Panther this time.
3. The look on Adrians face when his Firefly rolled a 1 and failed to penetrate the weakest point on my Panzer 4 ( his confident remark that the Firefly only had to turn up to make the kill before he rolled made it all the more sweeter :lol: )
4. Not coming last for a change :shock:

Lowlight:
Bringing down German Artillery fire onto the heads of Peters Wehrmacht
rifle squad holding the village and wiping them out ( sorry Peter :( )

Kev
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Oh yes, I forgot that Kev!.... Adrian and his fateful remarks about the Firefly that just needed to turn up to destroy something... ni this case the something happened to be a PzIV which was already immobilised and had taken 4 other non penetrating hits.................. from Adrian :lol:

Henry Ford
kingsleypark
Private
Private

Post by kingsleypark » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Can I just add my words of thanks to Barry for organising 2 fab games. The table for the Sunday game was just immense and so thanks to everyone who brought their gear and scenery to the table (thanks to Martin Terroni for the use of his fab pieces).

And of course thanks to all who took part - it was good to see such large games played in such a competitive, but sporting fashion :wink:

Highlights -

Day 1 - Dale taking 3/4 of the day to move his 4 panzers out of the first 2x2 terrain tile
Then Adrian's face when Dale suddenly realised he could move his Panther 40" straight onto the bridge
The downer - watching Adrian play the stonk card on the very first turn!! wiping out a third of my garrison and reducing my Panzer IV to a smoldering pile of metal

Day 2 - Dave and his French Resistance with their jalopys packing .50cal HMG's spraying lead wildly and causing the Petrol Tankers on the train to explode - the downer - the fact that my armed to the teeth sturm squad were taking cover under said petrol tankers.

Also Dave Imrie's US paras who found it much safer to stand out in the open and ignore incoming fire all game rather than shelter in a building as the rest of us were doing

And Kevin's invincible Panzer 4. What did you need to roll to hit Adrian????
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:13 pm

General Schnapps wrote: Highlights:
1. Redirecting the aforementioned 18 foot shot off my Panther and onto Daves Sherman.
Kev
By the end of the two days my French were starting to get an inferiority complex. It was bad enough the Germans trying to put - in all my armour but being dumped on by the RAF, USAF and American Artillery then threats from the Brits and Yanks to shoot me then the umpire pilffering my propety points was the last straw.

But great fun all the same.

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:17 pm

It would appear that the sites firewall doesn't like the word whole (without the W) which is what should have appeared where the dash is in my previous message.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Yes Dave, I should have told you all about that interesting evening I had once where I developed severe Tourettes syndrome and input ALL the foul words I could think of to the BAN control of the FORUM basically to blot out all of the - SPAM we were getting at that stage.
I had to see a Priest, a Psychologist, a Psychiatrist, a Therapist, my newsagent and a Thai prostitute afterwards :wink:

By the way, I NEVER pockled your points cards during the game but I MAY have switched a card or two on other players who I thought may have been bending the property acquisition process somewhat.

I will of course deny ever saying such a thing(in print) in a court of law 8)

MARTIN TERRONI THANK YOU FOR YOUR STUFF... As you can see it looked tremendous!

ON READING THE PREVIEW PANE I REALISE THAT THE - ABOVE MEANS THAT MY OWN CENSORSHIP TOOL HAS BLOTTED OUT THE WORD P-O-R-N!!!! :roll:

Henry Ford