staying at the 1815 Hotel

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

staying at the 1815 Hotel

Post by barr7430 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:08 am

Chaps,

spent a very enjoyable night in the 'Grouchy' room at the 1815 hotel on Thursday before walking the field of Waterloo once again. Thought it might be an idea to spend2-3 days at Waterloo next year if we planned it in advance. We could book the 1815, camp on the field and walk it for a day or 2 whilst also doing Quatre Bras, Wavre and Ligny? It would be nice to have a 'squad' do it together. Anyone up for it?

We drove to Wavre en route to Luxembourg and those Prussians must have had balls of steel because that is one helluva road in terms of terrain and distance. :shock:
I now have even more respect for Blucher and his Prusskies!

Your correspondent in the Low Countries
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 am

You really know how to make someone jealous.
As mentioned previously this is one battlefield I would love to visit so depending on dates I would love to go along next year.

Cheers
Dave
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Sat May 22, 2010 10:26 am

Sounds like you're having a great time.

I'm in for next year - whatever the dates, I'm confirmed.

With regards to your comments on the Prussians - based on those comments I've just upgraded all Prussian units 'up a grading' for the upcoming weekender!!!!!.......

.................(game organisers/umpires prerogative!!!!)

Blucher
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat May 22, 2010 4:08 pm

Gentlemen,

Please forgive me for cutting in on your "League" thread but this does make me jealous although I have to say that I did spend a week going over Gettysburg in the early nineties. The Americans certainly know how to look after their historical sites.

When you do get over there, please make sure you take plenty of photos and Barry could then maybe (read pretty please) tie them in with his battle reports.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Churchill
General
General

The Waterloo Battlefield Walk.

Post by Churchill » Sat May 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi Guys,

It must be 10 years or more since I did the Waterloo battlefield walk which I did over two days.On day 1, I did the allied positions including the panarama display, the museum, walked through Hougoumont, alas La Haye Sainte was a private farm then.I climbed the 250 odd stairs to the top of the Lion Mound and carried on my walk across to Papelotte and Frischermont.I also visited the Wellington museum in the town of Mont-St-Jean.
On day 2, I did the french positions starting opposite Hougoumont to La Belle Alliance, stopping every now and again to take in the view towards the allied positions and what could be seen of Hougoumont in the folds of the ground.I also visited the village and church of Plancenoit which changed hands a number of times during the afternoon.
I was planning to visit again in 2015 on it's 200 year anniversary when a possible reinactment may be planned???

Cheers.......Ray.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Probably a May weekend I think. 2-3 days on/around the battlefield + Ligny, Quatre Bras??
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford