November 20th/21st 2010

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Just home from a great weekend wargaming and duffing up the Frogs despite their huge advantage in numbers and quality :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hopefully the guys will post some pics soon of the Russian victory. :wink:

Barry had so much lead to push around that he's done his back in :shock:
Hope you feel better soon.
Cheers guys!
Dave
Last edited by obriendavid on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Now let me relate the true story of the tragic fall of Paris to the slavering, brutish, souless halfmen from the wild East. Spiritually void Prussians, Boorish and treacherous Austrians and the truly and unspeakably vile peasantry of the steppes colluded and plotted to slay the wounded Eagle fighting desperately to protect her children.

The unimaginative bludgeoning of these military amateurs succeeded only in demonstrating that the art of war truly died today with the passing of the Emperor's Army into history.

Outgunned, outnumbered and overwhelmingly undersupplied, our meagre divisions made the enemy bleed for every inch of territory. As the sun went down, ill ordered robber bands of the forces of darkness were aimlessly wandering on heaps of their own dead, plundering and guilty of the most unspeakable atrocities amongst the honest citizens of our beautiful capital. Women stolen, cattle raped, crops trampled and croissants burned :shock:

Some of the Russian Divisions were so depleted that they looked like battalions by the close of the battle.

Only after the arrival of 10,000 Prussians in the afternoon were the enemy in a position to finally overwhelm our wonderful soldiers.

Particular mention must be made of General de Division Jacques and his epic defence of the eastern suburbs against odds of nearly 4:1 made up of the Russian Imperial Guard no less.
Our strongest Division under Baron D'ilton was still fighting and holding the canals as the rest of our army was surrounded.
General of Division D'Ale was holding an impregnable series of revolutionary era revettements and had obliterated his numerically superior Russian opponents without yielding an inch of ground which was heaped with the enemy's dead.
The treachery of Mortier will live forever in infamy and as of course, the winners write the history (ever inaccurate and biased) mark well the fact that ANY response to this true deposition will seek to contradict it with a tissue of propoganda and lies :wink: (Be mindful particularly of the scrivening of the Russian emigre O'Brien.. minister of spin at the Kremlin Palace) :shock:
Vive la France! :D

PS.. the Royalists also betrayed us by showing the enemy crossings on the waterways!! :shock: :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm

The rantings of a man obviously is severe pain from his lead mountain :lol:
He's obviously delirious or perhaps its the wailings of the ghost of his dead divisional commanders. The French peasants welcomed us with open arms to thank us from freeing them from Napoleons slavery.
Cheers
Dave
charge0.wanadoo.co.uk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by charge0.wanadoo.co.uk » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 pm

A great weekend, a first class scenario from Kev and Adrian, excellent rules Barry and with great company. Thank you all. Charles
PS. Barry, Having read your post Bernard Cornwall should watch out - you are a master of histotical fiction!!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Told all you Good People it would be so! :wink:

Henry Ford
Scruff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Scruff » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:59 pm

And so the obligatory post asking "Where are the beautiful pictures" :)

With that out of the way, sounds like you had a great weekend :)

Shame you are so far away from New Zealand :(

cheers
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 pm

coming up.. I took plenty!

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:36 am

Some up now

LoGW Napoloeonc Gallery - Paris 1814 or follow the new additions links on the Homepage

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:21 am

Great pics as always Barry but I notice you seem to have managed to miss all the French hordes which were lurking about :lol:
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks Kev and Adrian for another enjoyable weekend. And especially to Kev whose computer died weeks before the event and had to resort to Emmas crayons and Etch a sketch to prepare the battle maps. Maybe thats why the canal was fordable for the Allies and not the French!

My day one against Andy's cavalry was a good ding dong battle of charges, counter charges and missed opportunities on both sides, The only Russian unit to cover themselves in any glory were my recruit grade Bug Cossacks who successfully destroyed the 1st French Hussars and captured their brigadier. I lost my horse artillery battery early on to some sound shooting from Dale's guns. Although they returned on day two manned by men from the Azov regiment, they remained totally ineffective.

Day two became more challenging for my Russian forces, depleted in both command points and unit strength by routing and destroyed infantry. Surprisingly it was the Moscow grenadiers who rallied late and returned to the fray and who managed to charge successfully over the defences and rout the French defenders in the last throw of the Russian dice. Still, we did keep Dale's frenchies occupied so that Peter and Kev's Prussians could sneak round the back and win the game !

I don't know whether I was more worn out by Dale's troops or his arguing about the rules! I'm afraid my Russains just weren't at the races this weekend. I think there will be a few court martials back in Russia!

Thanks again guys. Really enjoyed the banter and game chat and seeing soem of the newly painted units on the table.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:00 pm

I think unit of the weekend should go to Colin's Swiss battalion which only finally succumbed to a cavalry charge having withstood close range fire from 3 battalions and passed every test asked of it, even with 75% casualties but I suppose having their division and brigade commanders in their square also helped them last as long. Only 3 figures (60 men) was all that remained to surrender of a brave battalion.

Their final surrender brought my total of enemy commanders captured or killed to 3 divisional and 2 brigade commanders and three artillery batteries overrun.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Actually that Colin story was only so you could wave your 'kill tally' in front of us all :wink:

You never mentioned the Red Lancers taking out your Horse artillery battery or the death of Buggeration :shock:

But, on the whole, I grudgingly admit that your performance over the weekend was very good with I think no routed units, minimal casualties and several objectives achieved..

I don't believe I actually wrote that :shock: :shock: :shock:

Your bottle HAD gone though after Colin kept you out of the suburb in the initial assault :twisted: We're dooomed cried Private Fraser!

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:59 pm

barr7430 wrote: You never mentioned the Red Lancers taking out your Horse artillery battery or the death of Buggeration :shock:
You never mentioned your Guard Lancers being routed by my Russian dragoons :lol:
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:04 pm

barr7430 wrote: But, on the whole, I grudgingly admit that your performance over the weekend was very good with I think no routed units, minimal casualties and several objectives achieved..

I don't believe I actually wrote that :shock: :shock: :shock:
I don't believe you wrote that either :D
Perhaps I should use it as a quote on every email just to remind you :twisted:
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:20 am

yet more pics up tonight

Henry Ford