The Alma - June 18th - 19th 2011

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Alma - June 18th - 19th 2011

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Yes why not... Angus, you do more bellyaching about my stuff than a hippo with constipation. Set up a game and I'll - for two days about trying to find anything in your scribblings.
Alternatively, you could always not turn up.. that would make it really easy for you..
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 am

Now gentlemen - stow the handbags. I've just read Angus' report and it seemed fair and generally accurate, almost to the point of being restrained.

It was a bit shocking for Angus to find a brigade of the meandering Turks deploying directly behind his retreating forces, ready to move to ocupy that all important road. However glory-hunting got the better of the Turks as they formed line in readiness for firing their first shot of the battle before the umpire called time.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:21 pm

Dale wrote: It was a bit shocking for Angus to find a brigade of the meandering Turks deploying directly behind his retreating forces, ready to move to ocupy that all important road. However glory-hunting got the better of the Turks as they formed line in readiness for firing their first shot of the battle before the umpire called time.
They had fired a couple of shots in support of Andy's troops charging in but then got stuck behind someone else who marched their division right across the front of the other two. :shock:
Cheers
Dave
TigerLili
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TigerLili » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:37 am

Where did the week go? Better late than never, I suppose.

Bob, thanks again for a great weekend. Really enjoyed seeing all the Crimean figures out on a table at last. Glad to see the 57 boxes of lead made it safely home.

With the useless Raglan killed off early on and with his equally useless replacement constantly exposed to fire, with the French and Turks on the heights, I did think that a late push by the British towards the road and the redoubts would be enough to claim victory, however marginal. In the event though it turned out to be too little, too late.

On a positive side for the British, their minimal casualties should mean little work for Florence Nightingale. Full marks to the enthusiastic French and Turkish infantry on the right turning the Russian flank, and to the French and Turkish cavalry on the left softening up the Russian cavalry before the Light Brigade were launched.

Hopefully we will be able to fight the other battles of the campaign in the not too distant future.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:44 pm

TigerLili wrote:Where did the week go? Better late than never, I suppose.
Just like the British attack on the day :lol:
Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:26 pm

The good news for those of you who "liked" the Alma, is that the Figures with the exception of the "Chasseurs D'Afrique" are already done and waiting for the next encounter in chronological order - Balaclava.:D:

The bad news is that we don't quite have the 82 infantry battalions, 234 guns, and 63 squadrons of Russians required for Inkerman - yet :lol: :lol:

We have pencilled in next years games, so failing a call off, just be patient :!: I am sure I can make it to 2013, well March 2013 anyway :|

What we did put together was 438 square feet of terrain - some of it rising 3 tiles deep - and this will be readily adaptable for Balaclava, Borodino and other "larger games" from whatever period. The emphasis should be on the "we" - that was really a concerted joint effort which could not have been possible without your collaboration. 8)

I do have to make a special thank you to Angus and Dave Tulloch (especially Dave since he was not participating) for painting French Zuoaves for the game. The "Field Engineers" who set about the "Kourgane" could not have done a better job, even if they had enlisted sappers, picks and shovels - you know who I mean gents :wink:

Regards - the Boss is calling :shock: , and yes, I am henpecked :wink:
Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:13 pm

thinredline wrote: The bad news is that we don't quite have the 82 infantry battalions, 234 guns, and 63 squadrons of Russians required for Inkerman - yet :lol: :lol:
I assume that means we have all the Allied figures needed for the bash?
I think a start has already been made on those missing troops Bob.
Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:14 am

Well, as far as the allies are concerned, we have enough figures to put Balaclava on at a ratio of 10:1. (150 British Cavalry chomping at the bit :P )

The Russians would be a bit more problematic in that we already have the figures in excess for 20:1, but not quite the ratio of 10:1. Mind you, there are ways around that ! :wink: I can manage Rhyzovs Cavalry command of 2000 men at the 10:1 Ratio but some of them would be Dragoons and Ulhans instead of Hussars. I think the British might run away if they see them en-masse :shock:

I do have concerns regarding the British Cavalry Brigades. Given their small numbers (6 figures to each of 5 Squadrons at 20:1), they may be very brittle and not "charge" the guns were they to take casualties from the Russian guns, and we all know, they did 8)

As for the heavy Brigade, they were outnumbered almost 3:1 when they charged the Russian Hussars - would you :?:

As for Sir Colin and the 93rd, well I have, but if anybody wanted to produce their own 93rd using the Great war Minis - I would certainly not object :)

Whatever, I am sure it could be a ding dong cavalry battle with stoic defense of the redoubts by O'Brian Pasha.

Personally, I am going to my Private Yacht to disembark at the Harbour before the retreat sets into a rout :? I am sure Cardigan will not be too far behind me.
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."