Bastille Day July 14th 1815

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bastille Day July 14th 1815

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:03 pm

Many, many pics taken at the weekend. I will start to drip feed them onto the site in Gallery sections:

The Real Deal (for game related pics) and
Napoleonic for unit shots taken in a 'posed' fashion

Great game, great and hard fought victory for the French!

Full battle report and scenario docs in the Warchest over the next few weeks

Will look forward to the scribblings of Kelvin McKenzie :oops: I mean Dave (I've told you a million times I NEVER exaggerate) O'Brien :wink:

The rantings of Colonel Schnapps and his arch enemy Kellerman and
anything else that finds its way into the Forum!

Cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:05 am

Gentlemen,

A truly awe inspiring weekend, my personal thanks to all and sundry for their valued contributions to this excellent weekends wargaming.
Special mention to Barry for his overall co-ordination and umpiring with Michael, and to Dale on his 30th Anniversary in wargaming. :D

One cannot say more as to the camaraderie, (even between opponents) and the general meeting of minds on what was yet another very enjoyable weekend. :D

On a personal note, Peter, you gave me a very hard time and between you and Kevin, pushed me back, SLOWLY, and reluctantly, but hey, - I had ONE CORP, JUST HOW MANY Russians & Prussians did you both have in your infintesimial advance? :o

PS, Kevin, my wagon with Madame Guillotine is still with my command group, and definitely seeking “Colonel Schnapps”. Where was he hiding this time? Without checking the woods and ditches in person, I could not find his neck for my personal attention? :P :P :P

Bob
(Kellerman)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 pm

My Dear Kellerman, I had the honour of taking up position in the large wood on the Prussian 10th Corps right flank. Once safely ensconced in the wood my Brave command were set upon by no less than the full contingent of skirmishers from an entire French Division. After much hard fighting and the loss of half my command I was able to drive them out, sadly my Jaegers saw not one of your horsemen during the whole battle :evil:
However you may be interested to learn that during a lull in hostilities I sent one of my men ( crosseyed Kurt from Koblenz ) to climb a particularly high Dutch elm to try and spot you on the field, he reported back that alas he was unable to confirm your position but that he had taken a pot shot at a group of rather finely attired horsemen and that a little fat bloke in a grey coat and black hat had fallen from the saddle, any ideas who it could have been :?:
Schnapps
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:47 pm

Mon Cher Colonel,

It is without doubt irritating, that you choose yet again to hide in the safety and comfort of some trees. I am glad to hear that your ranks were suitably reduced by the efforts of valliant French marksmen. There is no doubt that overwhelming French numbers led to the sad depletion of your "heroic" little band of "Brothers. Shame you should come away unscathed especially after "Madame made a "Special Appearance" on your account :twisted: :twisted:

War can be an evil thing mon ami. It ill behoves you to take credit for an ill placed shot. If the lead was intended for "Moi", then I am sad to say that "crosseyed Kurt from Koblenz" was sadly astray, or indeed, seriously needs to visit Herr Zeiss and order a new pair of spectacles :? :?

Alas, his shot did find someone of importance, and the knowledge has only recently reached my Corps. :cry: :cry:

Whilst you again "ave" chosen to hide from me, I can understand that you were under severe pressure from another of our "GLORIOUS FRENCH CORPS".

On my part, I must congratulate your commander with the skillful use of his Cavalry, and their tenacity, bravery, and downright impertinence in the face of the Imperial French Cavalry. :shock: :shock:

My thoughts on this matter extend to your conspirators in arms, those "PESKY DAMNED RUSKIES". Prince Andrei was very capable, and I rue the loss of the Glorious 10th to his overwhwhelming numbers. I am glad to say that his Litovski Regiment paid the ultimate price, as did the overwhelming number of his cavalry command. :lol: :lol:

The ultimate FRENCH victory was at no inconsiderable cost in manpower, not least, in the loss of our beloved Emporer. :( :( :cry:

Now please translate this into lingua "Franca" that the civilised world may understand the true nature of the failings of you and your allies :wink:

As global victors in this campaign, we shall be pursueing those who have offended our office. YOUR NAME IS ON DE LIST, MON AMI, AND "MADAME" IS YET TO BE SATISFIED 8)

KELLERMAN
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

What to do with these eagles ?

Post by sharnydubs » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:04 pm

My dear Colonel Schnapps, may I trouble you for some advice. I find myself with 3 of these infernally gaudy French eagles taken during the course of our noble defeat of Kellerman's 10th cavalry division. In rapid succession the brave troopers of the Litovski, Soum and Smolensk relieved those heavy cuirassiers of their standards but I am now at a loss as to what to do with them. It seems that big Frenchmen on big French horses are no match for Russian lances.

May I take this opportunity of thanking you for your able defence of my northern flank throughout the battle. I trust that my forces were able to assist you as we swept aside the advance of Kellermans main cavalry.

Prince Andrei
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:48 am

Sounds like Prince Andrei has been hitting the vodka again. Victory against Kellerman! NEVER. Tell the Russian soldiers to use the flags to bind up the many wounds they received. And as for those Pesky Prussians, did they actually do anything apart from hide in a wood for the whole of the battle?

Cheer
Dave :lol:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:14 am

Rumours abound that the Emperor is dead, this is patently untrue.

The Emperor was taken off the battle field suffering from exhaustion after a string of victories over the allies. He now lies resting on an island in the middle of a lake in France and will reappear again should his country need him.

Cheers
Dave :D
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:00 pm

One certainly recalls the "Litovski" surprising the Horse Artillery of the 10th by emerging from off table, but I also seem to recall their dissappearing act into the woods, well, what was left of them after being dealt with by my courageous curassiers. :D

On acclamation of our glorious Victory over the allies, I have no doubt the rest of the Russian Army would have slinked off into the woods after the Litovski with their tails between their legs :wink:

I also recall the surrender of one Russian Infantry Regiment and the annihilation of a battery of of five guns by a glorious frontal charge by my "brave boys" :lol: :lol:

Kellerman
( Alive and unmarked by Schnapp's finest - "Crosseyed Kurt from Koblenz")
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:24 pm

Prince Andrei,
May I suggest you give the Eagles back to Kellerman, one can only imagine the shame and indeed ridicule the poor fool must be suffering from losing not one but THREE eagles in one engagement. To lose so many eagles, most of your heavy cavalry and your emperor in one day and claim victory to me is quite ridiculous. The only allied contingent the French beat during the battle were the Dutch - Belgians who as I recall were suffering from the S***s. The glorious Russian cavalry ably assisted by my Lieb Hussars and contingent of Bavarian cavalry ( their titles escape me - only Bavarians after all) had Kellermans so called elite on the back foot ( should that be hoof ) all day. Defeat for the allies maybe but in my eyes a resounding victory for the Russo- Prussian alliance. :wink:
If you can not bring your self to return the eagles perhaps you could use two of them as bookends and sell the third on e-bay
regards
Colonel Schnapps ( hero of Bastille Day ) :lol:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:46 pm

Hmmmmm.....

some good points there..... Just HOW did the French manage to win when the only contingent they actually beat were the Dutch Belgians??? :shock:

Maybe I have to refer it to the third official 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Victory indeed

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:37 am

It was disappointing indeed to lose the Arkhangelrod regiment to rout and see the guns fall with such ease. Disciplinary action has been taken with General Karnikov who was still marching through the woods when his artillery were first charged.

But I would agree with you Colonel Schnapps that from our position on the battlefield with the French in retreat and pinned and the Prussians and Russians on the offensive, it is difficult to see how we could have been anything other than the victors. And rumour also has it that old Boney took a shot to the head as well. Not that the Frenchies on our flank seemed to care much, for all the effect it had on them.

Sounds like that dodgy French meat did the trick though for those poor Dutch militia. Hardly surprising that they were unable to hold the town.

Till we meet again !

Prince Andrei
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:55 pm

My dear Colonel,

I seem to recall your much vaunted "Lieb Hussars" suffering the same fate as that of the "Litovski", insomuch as to say, your hand will be exhausted in the writing of condolence letters to the bereaved next of kin of your officers and men.

On the subject of "Eagles", mere baubles for those who cannot see the importance of whole picture. It is indeed true, my regiments lost three eagles, but given the disparity in numbers we were aligned against, the surprise out flanking and rear attacks by the Russians under "Prince Andrei", those losses could be considered light, AND IN FACT YOUR PALTRY ADVANCE SHOWS NO GREAT REFLECTION ON THE MILITARY SKILLS OF THE PRUSSIAN AND RUSSIAN HIGH COMMAND.

The overall picture is that surprised and outflanked, my Corps held the right flank, right to the bitter end, protecting the rest of the army, whilst my colleagues punched a whole right through the centre ground held by your allies. My losses were insignificant in the light of the overall victory achieved.

"Vive L'Emperor" (or the new one at least :wink: )

kELLERMAN