NOVEMBER 19th/20th 2011 Vietnam

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
TigerLili
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: NOVEMBER 19th/20th 2011 Vietnam

Post by TigerLili » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:03 am

Yes, it was another great weekend. Thanks particularly to Peter who did the lion's share of the organisation despite serious work commitments.
Thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the kit out on a table at last, some for the first time. Barry's photos do more than justice to the superb terrain.
Interesting that while listing the supposed "atrocities" Barry failed to mention his own unprovoked levelling of peaceful Vietnamese villages! :D
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:37 am

barr7430 wrote: Finally the photos are an embarrassment of riches actually. There are at least another 50 shots worthy of an airing. I will work on them and burn some CDs for any of the Gents interested.
Yes please!!!! plus I'm sure the other guys that follow our exploits would like to see more. I love the shot of the grunts and their carrier, it's just a pity for them that seconds after that pic they were all wiped out :lol:
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:44 am

TigerLili wrote: Interesting that while listing the supposed "atrocities" Barry failed to mention his own unprovoked levelling of peaceful Vietnamese villages! :D
What the American Imperialist pig dogs failed to realise was that every time they killed a civilian the VC automatically generated more reinforcements. Highlights of the weekend for me were almost wiping out Bob's Aussies in the Khev Ihn scenario then as Dale was about to drop his Special Forces unit into the Citadel on the second last move of the big game play a Frag card on them watch them wipe out their officer and refuse to do anything for 2 moves, game over :lol: :lol: :lol:
The whole weekend was fun!
Cheers
Dave
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:13 pm

But inquiring minds need to know: did Charlie learn to surf? :lol:
Bryce
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Greystreak wrote:But inquiring minds need to know: did Charlie learn to surf? :lol:
Oh yes! :twisted:
General Schnapps
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by General Schnapps » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 pm

obriendavid wrote:Interesting that while listing the supposed "atrocities" Barry failed to mention his own unprovoked levelling of peaceful Vietnamese villages!
By the time Barry triggered my first ambush on the highway and actually engaged the enemy he probably should have been firing at a reduced rate due to his over zealous expediture of ammo !!!
if it moves shoot it, if it doesn't move still shoot it, seemed to be the motto of the day .
Kev
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:50 am

I can't believe my tactical doctrine OR rules of engagment are being called into question :shock:
We never shot at anyone who wasn't a Gook, ALL my casualties were Medivac'd out AND my Grunts were the first in Hue City despite some failed AirCav drop which caused a distraction for about 5 minutes.. Gung Ho NOT! The Grunts were there and did the business....

Synchronicity indeed... what did I watch on the flight to Qatar?... FULL METAL JACKET!

Mother Green and her Killing machine!

I knew you were a Pinko right from th start O'Brien :twisted:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:52 am

Incidentally, FMJ is actually about the Tet activity and the specific attack on Hue City... it looked just like my boys going up that road although I could have done with the ANIMAL MOTHER card a few times :roll:

Pinko O'Brien has not (astonishingly) ever seen FMJ or Platoon :shock: :shock: :shock: so get watching Comrade!

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:30 am

I've already thought up a few different scenarios for the small games and a different aspect to the big game for the next time we decide to visit NAM and hopefully it won't be too soon.

Perhaps Colin will have even more body bags painted up by then and Barry will have more dead VC figures painted for replacing in his propaganda shots instead of the civvies he's just wiped out, who would have thought he could stoop so low??? :shock: :twisted: :lol:
Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:16 pm

All is fair in love and war :P
If a sampan approached my ship in the Mekong Delta during the war, refused to answer or stop when challenged - I would, and in the game did blow them out of the water. Nothing wrong in that (I keep telling myself). :shock:
In real life however - it's not so funny. In the early eighties I did have an incident in the South China Sea with a Vietnamese refugee boat, and it was'nt us who had the HMG mounted on the bridge - it was the refugees - or was that - pirates :shock: :shock: Thank god for binoculars and a wide awake look out :!: We kept our distance :!:
Thankfully - it was only a game :? was'nt it :?:

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:34 pm

thinredline wrote:All is fair in love and war :P
If a sampan approached my ship in the Mekong Delta during the war, refused to answer or stop when challenged - I would, and in the game did blow them out of the water. Nothing wrong in that (I keep telling myself). :shock:
Thinredline
The trouble is that you were shouting at the sampan in English whereas my poor peasant fisherman and family only spoke Vietnamese. Unfortunately a .50cal has the same effect no matter which language fires it, but you did the right thing. If you hadn't done something about it I was going to add one of my special events but didn't expect you of all people Bob to blow it out of the water. You've obviously been gaming with Hilton too long and his vicious attitude is rubbing off on you :lol:
Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:52 pm

No No No No, No 8)
Our South Vietnamese is pretty good now, especially where the young ladies are concerned. (Where did Barry get the idea and photo for "that" special event card :wink:
Glad I did do the right thing after all, I would have been embarrassed trying to explain the loss of a monitor to Admiral "C". Nimitz.
For "vicious" - please read "healthy attitude to self preservation" 8) 8)

Regards,
thinredline

ps - might have lost me marbles but I still have all my boats - albeit a bit battered and bruised :D :D
pps - that said, quite a few of us have now been wargaming with Mr Hilton for a long, long time :lol: :lol:
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:01 pm

thinredline wrote: ps - might have lost me marbles but I still have all my boats - albeit a bit battered and bruised :D :D
pps - that said, quite a few of us have now been wargaming with Mr Hillton "too" long :lol: :lol:
I thought one of the boats sank after Ade's T34 took a shine to it which is why the marines decided it was safer to go by road than river :shock:
Hilton's evil influence gets everywhere, I could never have thought up those dreadful special events and sneeky scenarios if it hadn't been for him :wink:
Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:12 pm

That boat was under the direct command of the admiral - it was not in my flotilla :)

thinredline
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:26 am

Accusations of killing civilians will not be tolerated. My troops have photographic evidence of VC activity in that sector. We have photographs of weapons caches in carts and hooches. All clearly wore VC black pyjamas (in fact all local traders were sold out of black pyjamas and curiously all seemed flush with $5 bills but that as yet remains unexplained)
The action on the far bank of the Perfume river? was nothing to do with us. I did hear that the so called 'woman with babe in arms' was a forward observer for Charlie's heavy mortar company and that the baby was in fact an RPG shell wrapped in a tea towel.

NBC have the footage.. we're clean

And where the hell were the Marines???????

Henry Ford