Borodino weekend

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Borodino weekend

Post by obriendavid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Dale wrote:I hope to have 11 btns x 36 Polish/Duchy of Warsaw together with some cavalry and artillery if the basing can be completed.
French - lots of btns of 36 - some a bit dated now for our games but happy to supply 24 or more plus the Imperial Guard - let me know if you need them all. They are btns of 32.

What about cavalry and artillery?
Should we meet at the hall abit earlier, say 7.00pm?
Dale, unless Barry has said otherwise bring as much as you can although the Imperial Guard never took part in the battle so they could remain at home. We will also need lots of 'French' cavalry although they were so depleted in horse flesh by the time of the battle that squadrons were usually down to 60-80 men so the regiments will be smaller than we are normally used to.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:44 am

Even though we are attempting to be econimical with the orbats and troops use the game is going to be massive. We will definitely need:

All of Peter's Russians
16 battalions of Peter's French.A selection of Peter's French cavalry including Cuirassiers, Carabiniers, Hussars, Dragoons Lancers but not necessarily the Guard.
3-4 Batteries
All of Dale's Poles and about 20 Battalions of Dale's French. Some cavalry... Dragoons/Hussars/Lancers/Cuirassiers. 4 Batteries

Dave O Brien's Russians, Jack Glanvilles Poles/Dutch etc. Dave's French Guard
All of Angus's Russians
Between Kev and Ade - 6 battalions of Landwehr and a regiment of Landwehr lancers if available from someone
Bob Talbot's French and Italians
Bob Lauder's Cossacks from the Crimea if possible
David Imrie's Russians
Barry's Russians and most of his French

Dave is taking care of th terrain so I haven't even mentioned that!

It looks like the French will begin with nearly 100 battalions. They will need that.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 am

barr7430 wrote:......It looks like the French will begin with nearly 100 battalions.
:shock: :shock: :shock: I envy you
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:17 pm

If anyone has a couple of units of Portuguese in brown uniforms they would make a nice addition to the French to break up all that Blue.
Did anyone ever get around to painting up their Eureka Saxon cavalry for storming redoubts?
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:37 pm

obriendavid wrote:..Did anyone ever get around to painting up their Eureka Saxon cavalry for storming redoubts?
Cheers
Dave
Ask Barry :wink:
Btw., Do you need some Westphaliens equipped with Waterbuckets and wiper to clean up the Battlefield after the game?
Still have 8 Battalions somewhere in a box :( :roll:

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:53 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote: Btw., Do you need some Westphaliens equipped with Waterbuckets and wiper to clean up the Battlefield after the game?
Still have 8 Battalions somewhere in a box :( :roll:
Would love to have Wesphalians as nobody has any, I'm afraid some Wurtzburg troops will have to stand in for them. The Westphalians are another nation I have always fancied doing but never gotten around to it.
Too many nations, not enough time :(
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm

I know your dilemma well my Friend.
Let's see what nation comes after my Saxons are complete. :wink: :D

Maybe I should ....

Cheers,
Günter

Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 am

Between Kev and myself we can easily do the 6 Landwehr Batts and I have some Landwehr Lancers...that's that bit sorted...

'The Prussian Bretheren'

....PS...If you really want to make it interesting...lets just have The Prussian take on EVERYONE...!!!! I'm sure me and Kev can take on both The Ruskies and The French....!!!

Vorwarts Meine Kinder (no comments on the spelling please)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Blucher wrote: Vorwarts Meine Kinder (no comments on the spelling please)
Couldn't help but point out that using Meine means you're accusing the Prussians as being a bunch of girls :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:46 pm

I've had no response to the suggestion about meeting at the hall at 7.00pm. If there are no replies shortly I'll assume that we revert back to 8.00pm although it does sound as if we will need the extra time for setting up for Borodino.

Who has a list of the players? I'll need to book the table in advance for the Saturday evening meal.

Dave O'Brien, are you sure you don't want the French Imperial Guard? I've just consulted an Orbats for the battle and they were certainly there immediately behind Ney and to the left of Murat. What if Napoleon had decided to throw them in to soundly crush the Russians so that they could not recover as quickly as they did?

This is not an appeal for more troops on the French side but I assume that the Russians were able to use their second line of Corps/Divisions in the battle. I don't know this, they just appear on the map. Other than I believe that the Russians withdrew eventually, I have no knowledge of how it all panned out. It must be 35-40 years since I read the Chandler account of the battle! As ever I'll read all about it after our miniature battle.

Tan ta tan tan tan tan taaan ta tan ........
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

obriendavid wrote:
Couldn't help but point out that using Meine means you're accusing the Prussians as being a bunch of girls :lol:
Cheers
Dave
My dear Dave,

Out of the fact that Ade dont has a German Keyboard he wrote it quite correct(Vorwärts meine Kinder!). Even if you implementing some strange things :wink:

From a Saxon who dont think to bad of his Prussian Enemies

Günter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Dale wrote:I've had no response to the suggestion about meeting at the hall at 7.00pm. If there are no replies shortly I'll assume that we revert back to 8.00pm although it does sound as if we will need the extra time for setting up for Borodino.

Who has a list of the players? I'll need to book the table in advance for the Saturday evening meal.

Dave O'Brien, are you sure you don't want the French Imperial Guard? I've just consulted an Orbats for the battle and they were certainly there immediately behind Ney and to the left of Murat. What if Napoleon had decided to throw them in to soundly crush the Russians so that they could not recover as quickly as they did?
Dale, I thought we always started at 7pm? Colin and myself will certainly be up by then and had something to eat first. Bring the Old Guard if you want, they were certainly there as were the Vistula Legion but were never used as were the Russian Guard infantry but we are allowed to change history which is what the game is all about.
The list of gamers is Dale, Barry, Charles, BobT, BobL, Colin, Kev, Ade, Peter, Andy, Angus, DOB and Steve but I'm not sure which of them are going for a meal. I'm sure Peter McCarroll can't make the game and neither can David Imrie which is unfortunate.
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:11 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:
obriendavid wrote:
Cheers
Dave
Out of the fact that Ade dont has a German Keyboard he wrote it quite correct(Vorwärts meine Kinder!). Even if you implementing some strange things :wink: Günter
Gunter, at school we were always taught that you only use the e at the end of mein when it is combined with a feminine gender word, meine Tochter, meine Lehrerin which is why I was teasing Ade about his Prussians being a bunch of girls. This could explain why Germans always look in pain when I try to speak their language :roll:
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Dave,

the e as an ending is also used if you have plural:
meine deine unsere.
No worries therefore. Your german cant be worse then my english :wink: :D

Cheers,
Günter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Dave,
the e as an ending is also used if you have plural:
meine deine unsere.
No worries therefore. Your german cant be worse then my english :wink: :D Günter
Danke mein Lehrer! :lol:
Cheers
Dave