Battle of Braddock Down

A board for questions and discussion relating to Clarence Harrison's ECW focused rules which are growing in popularity. Please post here for questions and discussion relating to VWQ
flick40
Major General
Major General

Battle of Braddock Down

Post by flick40 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:46 pm

Another completely enjoyable game of VWQ. This time we played a scenario found on the web designed for WH/ECW. We can't say enough good things about these rules. Just simply fun games!

The opening moves

The Parl's move into position

The Royalist approach..

The cavalry face off, could go either way. Royalist are outnumbered here but I threw caution to the wind and charged my single sqdn gallopers into his 3 sqdn regiment of trotters. Caught them at the standstill and it ebbed and flowed a few turns.

The foot start to mix it up. Royalist dragoons were on their right side of the hedged road as a diversion to weaken the center. It worked but the cards didn't let me exploit it to it's full advantage.

The cavalry continue to mix it up. It wasn't looking good for the Royalist being outnumbered.

Then the turning point, an event led to the complete removal of Gavins 3 sqdn regiment. We rolled a 66, the "I just gotta be me" which we thought would be better called "to thine own self be true". Gavin rolled a one and off they routed.

It gets hairy in the middle as the foot combat was finally beginning to tell. The red flagged unit got a bonus in a previous event of being crack shots.

We played 10 turns and then roll a die every turn there-after and a 'one' ends the game. This game ended on the end of turn 12. Another victory for the Royalist but the real victory is it was great fun!
quindia
General
General

Re: Battle of Braddock Down

Post by quindia » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 am

Glad you guys are enjoying the rules.

Barry told me a few weeks ago at a convention a club was using VWQ for their demo game!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:35 am

They were right next to Barry's and my table but we were so - up with people all day that we never even got a chance to see the rules in action but Peter and Kev, both from the LOGW really like the rules and they will also be the rules we'll be using next year for a LOGW ECW weekend.
Cheers
Dave

ps; hope you're OK after the earthquake?
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:35 am

They were right next to Barry's and my table but we were so - up with people all day that we never even got a chance to see the rules in action but Peter and Kev, both from the LOGW really like the rules and they will also be the rules we'll be using next year for a LOGW ECW weekend.
Cheers
Dave

ps; hope you're OK after the earthquake?
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Knowing how large theLOGW games tend to be it will be interesting to see how you cope, weve played multi player games with about twenty units a side and they were slightly unwieldywith one pack of cards.Once we work out a system of interface we will probably go for a seperate deck for each pair of players,with some srt of master deck.

iain
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 pm

The first day will probably be a series of small one to one scenario games all of which will have an influence on the next days big game. For the big game we will probably split the armies into wings and each wing will have it's own pack of cards. At least that's what we thought at the last discussion and since the game isn't until March we have plenty of time to sort things out.
Cheers
Dave
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Hey! Hijack your own thread... :evil: 8) :lol:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:17 am

Sorry Joe :oops: :wink:
Cheers
Dave
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:04 pm

I'd be interested to hear how you guys tackle the large sized games. I feel these rules handle the small to medium sized games very well. Its the BIG games that might see some issues, mainly could slow down.
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Its not so much about number of units more table size.Sunday past we played a game with about sixteen a side on a8 by 6 and it was too cramped.
as far as slowing the game down we d nt put the end of turn card in until everything has been tuned once,we also allow brigade movement on the brigadier card this allows most units to move twice in the initial round (once for brigade and once on their own card. It also helps to speed things along if you turn twoo cards at a time until muskets are in range.Most our big games are finished within fur hours.

iain
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:24 am

These are great suggestions, Iain! I designed the rules to go with my collection and my normal table which is a puny 4x6' - good for 6-10 units per side. I am very interested in how people get on with larger games - I like the idea of allowing a commander to issue orders to all of the units in his brigade, though I think I would require units to be within his command radius as normal. It might be too powerful for my smaller game Joe (maybe you and Gavin could try this?).

I am trying to decide if I should present the game as initially designed and include a chapter for larger games or try to incorporate the brigade level rules into the standard game. I am leaning toward the former since the basic rules seem to be marginally popular even in their current minimalist form...
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:11 am

It might be too powerful for my smaller game Joe (maybe you and Gavin could try this?).

I will be in Atlanta for Dragon Con Sept 1-5th. The week after that we can try this option on a smaller game. Hurri-Con http://hmgs-south.com/hmgs/index.php?op ... &Itemid=61 is also is also in Sept in Orlando, Gavin is for sure going, I am a maybe.
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:52 am

Clarence
I agree with you about the rules as they stand,better to have large battles as a seperate section.Regarding thecommand radius of brigadiers we do'nt use it until the end of turn card is in the deck,although we do use any of the traits.

iain