The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:08 pm

That's good news Gunter, thanks for the update.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:27 pm

Dear Friends and followers of this Thread,

After long break I can tell you some news about the Saxons.
My Sculptor has finished the foot artillerymen. They are a gunner with sponge, an officer, a gunner with a port fire and a gunner carrying a cannon ball. A mounted Infantry Colonnel has also been finished and because of his neutral design it is possible to use him for the Line Infantry, the Artillery and the soon to follow Light Infantry.

Next step will be Horse Artillerymen followed be the Chevauxlegers with changeable arms to either have Sabers or openhanded arms to wear a Lance.

More news soon

Best Wishes

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:54 pm

Well that's good news to celebrate your birthday Gunter.
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Dear Friends,

To show you how far my insanity has went I tell you something about the greater good that I have in mind with this Saxons. I' m sure I told this once in an other section of this forum but not in this thread.

First of all there will be the Saxons which we are currently producing.
The goal for them is not the Saxons VII. Corps alone but the complete Army with all the Train and Supportcrafts
approx. 1500 to 1600 figures :!: .
Second will be Tormassovs 3rd Army of the West about 2000-3000 figures strong. :)
Third Schwarzenbergs Auxiliary Corps another 1500 Figures more or less. :P

As I dont want to drive my painter insane :roll: with painting so many white uniforms he will get several hundred Russian as some kind of relief :wink: only to be followed by the Austrians white again.

The Current Situation here in Austria doesnt look all to promising to get a group together to fight after RtE but I will never give up -with some russian stubbornness :twisted: - to look for those who maybe interested.

Cheers,

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Gunter,

give up on getting a couple of battlaions painted and get on a flight over to England for a game with us! We are now looking at running games in Derby. Nearest Airport: East Midlands less than 20 miles away. There must be a cheap direct flight from Austria to E.MIDLANDS or to BIRMINGHAM INTERNATIONAL or to LUTON. (last two would mean a train journey of about 1 hour)

cheers

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:29 pm

barr7430 wrote:Gunter,

give up on getting a couple of battlaions painted and get on a flight over to England for a game with us! We are now looking at running games in Derby. Nearest Airport: East Midlands less than 20 miles away. There must be a cheap direct flight from Austria to E.MIDLANDS or to BIRMINGHAM INTERNATIONAL or to LUTON. (last two would mean a train journey of about 1 hour)

cheers

B
I think it over..currently I find only flights with one stop and between GBP 200 and 400 :evil:

FAR

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Dear Friends,

As the DERBY-Thing has passed by :wink: I now focus again on my project.
My sculptor made the Saxon top priority and now have started with
the Chevaux Legers or Light Cavalry. As predicted he sculpt them besides
the Horse Artillery because the very similiar looking. They have a almost
identical uniform in cut and look, just with other colors :) .

Question:

My question to You now is would a Saxon Chevaux Leger wearing his mantle be a good addition to the upcoming figures or should I stick with the parade dress-issue?(see picture below)

Painters frontier:
At the start of the next week my painter has promised me the arrivel of
the red grenadier unit, aprox. 50 foot artillery men and 5 mounted Officers.
In the meantime I start to mount the infantry on bases only waiting for the mounted Officers to be eventually put on the command bases.

Comments and thoughts are welcome
Cheers

Günter
Attachments
Sauerweidsaxon21a.jpg
Saxon Chevauxleger firing from the saddle.
Sauerweidsaxon21a.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 15177 times
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Welcome to the world of commercial wargaming where invariably one makes a small fortune provided of course one has a large one to start with.

Lovely looking figures from the pictures would love to see them in the flesh.

:evil: Ginger
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:13 am

Günter – I really like your idea of the skirmishing Saxon Chevaux Leger wearing his mantle. Model soldier makers should make more skirmishing cavalry figures... At Eureka we would call him a “character figure”. I am afraid you won’t sell a huge number of him, but having said that, little bits of extra ‘chrome’ like him really help to make a miniatures range stand out (and therefore can be worth the investment).

Every Saxon army owner should do a light cavalry picket vignette - just so they can include him!

John
(DPT)
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:06 am

Duke of Plaza-Toro wrote:Günter – I really like your idea of the skirmishing Saxon Chevaux Leger wearing his mantle. Model soldier makers should make more skirmishing cavalry figures... At Eureka we would call him a “character figure”. I am afraid you won’t sell a huge number of him, but having said that, little bits of extra ‘chrome’ like him really help to make a miniatures range stand out (and therefore can be worth the investment).

Every Saxon army owner should do a light cavalry picket vignette - just so they can include him!

John
(DPT)
John,

thanks for the comment. I asked my sculptor about his thoughts and he too liked the idea, so he will include a "Skirmishing Chevaux Leger" into the Saxon Light Cavalry range.

EvilGinger,

I am not a rich man but an ambitious one :D
The range of my Saxons so far has approx. 16 different figures, infantry and foot artillery. In the sculpting process are about 10 figures, Chevaux Legers and Horse Artillery.

As allways all comments are welcome

Cheers
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Breaking News!

My sculptor has decided that now would be a good time to go official with
the Saxon 1810-1812 Range. Therefore, for all who are interested, here is the website:

http://www.sbarber-models.clara.net/main.html

And yes, Steve Barber is my sculptor.

Cheers
Günter

Redburg
Private
Private

Post by Redburg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 pm

awesome.... will they work for 1809?
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:50 am

Redburg,

No, because of their french styled uniform :roll:
If You look for Saxons 1809 you have to use minis with double pointed hat.
As far as I know their are a few of manufacturers who makes such figures, i.e., Elite, Wargames Foundry.

Hope that helps

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Dear Friends,

Some of you have asked months ago for my Saxon Range and how the Minis are look like. After a long time I now present you most of the current existing Figures. A word to the mounted Officiers. They are sold with loose heads so anyone can decide in which direction he may look.

Officers

Foot Artillery men with Officers

The Line Sappeurs of the 2nd Battalions

The Combined Line Grenadier Battalion, Sappeurs in each company.

The 1st Battalions

The 2nd Battalions

Regiment König and Regiment Niesemeuschel, Grenadier Battalion v. Brause

These two battalions are intended to be part of Duruttes French Division:

Enjoy the sight.
All coments are welcome

Best Wishes,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Wow, Günter, you've been very busy with the paintbrushes! :shock:

Having never painted (or even studied) Saxon troops much, I was surpised at the amount of 'white' in the uniforms. Then I remembered the unfortunate disaster at Wagram, when the Saxons were fired on from behind--in error--by the French who took them for Austrians! :cry:

These seem to be quite large battalions; how many 'men' is each figure representing in these units? :?:
Bryce