The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:20 am

After getting some encouraging words... :D

Part IV/1. - The condition before the Reorganization 1810

This phase of the Saxon Army was by far the most exiting one.
While on campaign four Officiers started independently, in almost the same words, to write to the Minister of War v. Bose.
They stated the problems and grievances of the Army in the Field, pointing out what troubles this old system gives them when compared with the french system.
This four men were deployed in different places:
Gen.Mjr. v. Gersdorff, Generalstaff Grand Duchy Warsaw
Gersdorff.jpg
Gersdorff.jpg (67.61 KiB) Viewed 15827 times
Gen.Mjr. v. Funk, Aid-de-Camp to the King

Gen.Mjr. v. Thielmann, ADC of Marechal Davout

Obst.(Colonnel) v. Langenau, ADC in the Imperial Headquarter

While the first three officers wrote on their own accord Col.v. Langenau had direct orders from the King to write about his experiences of the Campaign 1809. What he wrote only confirmed what the other three allready had pointed out and showed the need for sever reforms and reorganisation of the Army in its current condition. Soon after the arrivel of v. Langenau's report Gen.Adj. v. Gersdorff was ordered by the King to put together a proposal for the Reorganisation. Before the end of 1809 this proposal was ready. It was a Masterpiece of historical and Military-Science importance.

Thank your for your patience

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Part IV/2 - The Proposal in detail

The foundation of the Reforms are characterized as follows:
- The Saxon Army should have a war strenght of 31.000 men
- Stronger bodies of troops for tactical use are to be preferred over weaker bodies
- For easier crossover from Peacetime to Wartime establishment the Troops are to organized allready in peacetime into permanent Divisions
- To put the spending for the army in relation with the income of the State
A Commission approved only with marginal alterations the Proposal and it was decided to put into action with May 1st. 1810

Elaboration:
Cavalry - In numbers the Saxon Cavalry was considered to be strong but the single Regiment was thought be to weak with only 666 men. So it was decided to disband one regiment to strengthen the others to get 718 men each. It was decided to dissolve the Carabiniers as there was enough heavy Cavalry.

Infantry - As the Regiments were considered to be to weak 4 Regiments were disbanded to bring the others in strength from 1754 up to 2073 men each. The 'Schuetzen-Battalions' were used as cadres for the 2 new to be raised Light Infantry Regiments with 1652 men each. The so far provisional Grenadier Battalions were now made permanent. A Jaegercorps should be raised in strenght of 174 men.

Artillery - The 16 Foot Artillery Companies formed together with 2 Horse Batteries the Artillery Regiment with a theoratical Firepower of 32 Regimental 4 pdr guns, 48 6pdr guns, 18 12pdr guns and 30 8pdr Howitzers in the Foot Artillery and 12 6pdr guns and 4 8pdr Howitzers in the Horse Artillery. All together 144 guns. Also a standing Train-Battalion has to be raised. Its role was among others to ride the limber horses of the Field Artillery.

Training - As learned in the hard lessons of 1806, 1807 and 1809 the inflexible linear tactic was abolished and replaced by the french coloumn tactic with Tirailleur Swarms.

There were countles new inventions like better muskets, longer bajonettes, new Uniforms, newly designed Cannons, Gun carriges, Caissons, Limbers, renamed officer ranks, a new built General Staff with Major General von Gersdorff as its first Chief of General Staff second only to the King, and many, many more.

At the end of the Year 1810, after only 8 month the Reorganization of the Saxon Army was finished. For the first time since its existence the Saxons felt that they could be proud of this new and beautiful dressed Army.

The Army stood at the end of 1811 as follows:

31,770 men in 36 Squadrons and 26 battalions with 6388 horses and 5 Artillery brigades with 144 guns.

That ends this part of how the Reorganization of the Saxon Army 1810 was done.

Thanks for following so far.
All questions are welcome

Best Wishes

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed May 30, 2012 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:40 am

...I'm hanging on every word Günter.
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:33 am

Friends and Followers of this thread,

here are glimps at how the forementioned Chevaux Legers/Ulans are sold:
Seperate Heads, Swordarms/Lancearms, Carbine and with a suitable horse. Trumpeters carry their instrument on the back holding a weapon in hand.
Attachments
Saxon Ulan.JPG
Saxon Ulan.JPG (38.46 KiB) Viewed 15897 times
Saxon Chevaux Leger.JPG
Saxon Chevaux Leger.JPG (40.34 KiB) Viewed 15897 times

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri May 18, 2012 4:46 am

Dear Friends,

After the stresses of Salute and some other private matters my sculpter took up the 'knive' again and resumed his work.
While asking him about the last part of Infantry to do, the Leib Grenadier Garde, he told me the following:

Hi Gunter,

Thank you for your email. I will look into those. I wonder if I could use bits of the french old guard for them? I will check it out. On a different note, artillery is coming along nicely. The cannon carriage is virtually complete, as is the limber. I need to do the gun barrel for the 6pdr and 8pdr howitzer. I am very pleased with them. The caison is 50% complete and they should all be ready for mould making in June. I will keep you informed of progress. Thank you.

Best Wishes,

Steve.

Btw., the Leib Grenadier Garde will be done in Parade dress uniform as it is the most colorfull.
Attachments
Leib-Gren-Garde Paradedress.jpg
Leib-Gren-Garde Paradedress.jpg (55.19 KiB) Viewed 15862 times

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:58 am

Dear Friends,

I proudly present you my first finished 7 Saxon Line Infantry Battalions. The Units presented are
"The Red Brigade" Regiment König, Regiment Niesemeuschel and
Grenadier Battalion v. Brause.
" The Blue Brigade" Regiment Prinz Anton.
Accompanied they are by their future Brigadier Generals.
The remaining units of the Blue Brigade are arriving within the next days. Then I present the full division (without Artillery) including the Divisional Command.
Here are the pictures. Enjoy!

All Figures but the Officers, who are Perry's, are made by Steve Barber. Painted by Neil Wilson. Flags are from Flagdude.

Thank You to Barry, Brice and Burkhard who have been so kind to share their way how to do the basings. It helped me alot.
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:21 am

Great results, Günter! :shock: :D 8)

I'll bet you can't wait to get a game with them! :wink:
Bryce
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:49 am

That's a fine looking force you have Gunter and it would be good to see them out on the battlefield, you have just got to love those white uniforms.
Cheers
Dave
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:23 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:37 am

obriendavid wrote:That's a fine looking force you have Gunter and it would be good to see them out on the battlefield, you have just got to love those white uniforms.
Cheers
Dave
Bryce, Ray,
Thank You!

Dave,
white uniforms are my speciality :D and my Westphaliens are gonna be as 'white' as my Saxons :mrgreen:

18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:57 pm

They look beautiful. I hope my 1806 Saxons can look at good as these.

Greg
Greg
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:15 pm

Absolutely spectacular!

They're very nice! Keep it up. The bases are especially well done.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Wonderful Gunter. They look particularly impressive en masse.
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Gunter my dear friend! I am sorry that I missed this most excellent post of those mightily handsome regiments from a REAL German State! The force looks fantastic. Basing, flags and composition really set off the regiments. You MUST arrange to invade England with them! :wink:

My only excuse for not joining in the thread has been 18 hour days, demanding clients and air travel! Today after coming off the plane from Doha my earnest desire was to lie down and watch an old movie and fall asleep. Alas, a dream as remote as Alan Cuggy throwing a 6 on a DAverage :( My exciting life is spent on the phone, filling in bid documents and sorting out the private lives of my flock :roll:

Keep painting Gunter! soon the invasion army can cross the Canal and marsch to Derby!!!!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Simply brilliant Gunter, en masse they look fantastic.

Maybe they will see some action in Derby next year,they deserve to be blooded in style.

Cheers
Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas