The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1810-1813

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:53 am

Dear Friends,

today I feel like at Christmas :mrgreen:
I just received my Saxon Prinz Clemens Ulan Regiment. I will start to put them on bases this evening. I'll post pictures as soon as possible.

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:35 am

Just a quick update from the Saxon Frontier!

Within July 2012 will be the following models available

Saxon 6pdr Cannon
Saxon 8pdr Howitzer
Saxon Limber
Saxon Caisson

Saxon Grenadier Guardsman
Saxon Grenadier Guards officer
Saxon Grenadier Guard standard bearer
Saxon Grenadier Guard drummer
Saxon Grenadier Guard sapper

Dismounted Hussar standing firing
Dismounted Hussar kneeling firing
Dismounted Hussar Officer

Hussar mounted Trooper
Hussar mounted Trumpeter
Hussar mounted Officer

So it seems that July 2012 will be the most productive month in the
evolution of the Saxons 1810 - 1813 Range.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:15 am

From the Diary...

"On our march trough the Countryside we got swarmed by Cossacks but they only watched us moving and didnt attack. Only a careless Hussar patrol of 4 men was caught by the Cossacks on the 8th of July.
The Russian Main Forces were rolling backwards allmost to Düna and Dünaburg while the Corps of Prince Bagration who was opposite to us moved east to Minsk.
A short period between the 11th and the 15th of July we (7.Corps) marched together with the 5. and the 8.Corps."

To be continued...

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:42 pm

News from the Saxon Frontier:

the following pictures are showing the progress with the future Saxon guns:

and the Limbers

It looks all very promising but there is still alot of work ahead
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:38 am

WIP:
The Saxon Ulan Regiment Prinz Clemens
Figures are from Steve Barber, painted by Neil Wilson, Pennants are from Flags of War and the Standard is from The Flagdude. The basing is still in consideration if 3 or 2 figures to a base... :roll:

Waiting for Warbases to show up before deciding final base size.
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 am

It's all looking very good Gunter and the gun looks like a lovely model in the making.
Cheers
Dave
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:09 am

Great stuff Gunther, the gun looks fantastic.

Regarding the basing, I would go for 2 on a base, if only because the combat group being 4 is more readily divisable by 2 rather than 3.

All looking good though :D :D :D

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:33 am

Dave,Ray,

Thanks for the kind comments! I cant wait myself to see the complete guns.
The first to show up will be the 6pdrs as they are the mainstay of the Saxon Artillery, followed by 8pdr Howitzers, the Limbers and the Caissons. The 4pdrs and the 12pdrs will be in the second wave.

Bob,

The new bases should arrive the next days so I have to make up my mind then if I reduce my Regiments. 720 men or 36 Real Figures - 4 = 32 Real Figures +4 boxes on the Rooster

Thanks again.

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:09 pm

From the Diary...
" On the 15th of Juli we received suddenly new orders from the Imperial Headquarter by direct Order from the Emperor, telling us to relieve the Austrian Corps at Pruczany and Kobryn and so to form the extreme right Flank of the French Grand Armeè. The Saxon 7th.Corps would now have to fullfill the more difficult assignement to cover not only the Grand Duchy of Warszaw against the Russian Corps of Tormassov and Kamenskoi AND to keep contact with the Right Wing of the Grand Armeè but also to prevent the Enemy from advancing against Volhynen(?) and the Pinsker Swamps on a Line of about 20 German Miles (150km!) with only 17.000 men. Under these circumstances the Saxons felt the shortage of the Cavalry hardest having only 3 Regiments left. The plea's of Gen. Reynier to Napoleon to reinforce the Cavalry remained unanswered. After the removal of Jerome from the Army the Saxons stood under the direct control of the Emperor. The main Forces of the Austrian stood at Pruczany holding Brzesk, Pinsk and Janow with detachments."

To be continued...

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:47 am

Dear Friends,
I made my mind up with the help of the Togmeister how to base the Saxon Light Cavalry.

I also recognized that in my last post the flag was'nt to be seen well enough so I place two more pics in here.

Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:46 am

Friedrich August I. wrote:Dear Friends,
I made my mind up with the help of the Togmeister how to base the Saxon Light Cavalry.
His basing advice is OK but I would be wary of taking advice from him on how to use cavalry, his always seem to have a bad habit of charging redoubts and destroying themselves. :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:40 am

From the Diary....
"Because of the positions the Austrians have occupied the Saxons, who had reached Bytin(south of Slonim) on July 18th , detached the Infantry Brigade v. Klengel with 3 Squadrons Prinz Clemens Ulans and 8 Regimental Guns to Kobryn with the Order from Kobryn to detach the Infantry Regiment König and 80 Ulans, Rittmeister Heymann, as relief for the Austrians, to Brzesk.
The Ulans arrived allready on July 24th and Regiment König on July 25th. To observe the fordings of the river Pina the 3 Ulan Squadrons, Mjr v. Seydlitz, were sent. They moved west into Doboi while deployed 30 Horses at Pinsk. As the recon told them that substantial enemy forces moved against Pinsk and Janow Gen. v. Gablenz, who has reached with the Avant Garde of the Saxon Corps Bezdecz, received order to sent at once 3 Squadrons - 2 Hussars and 1 Polenz-Chvlgs, Mjr. v. Libenau - to Janov."
Tagebuch_Russlandfeldzug_0076a.jpg
Tagebuch_Russlandfeldzug_0076a.jpg (69.74 KiB) Viewed 10190 times
Map can be found at: http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Bemerkung ... 2_und_1813
Note: After Reports of Gen. Tormassov the intention have been to move a weak Corps to Pinsk and so to attract them to the Saxons to move against them while the other 2 Corps are to move by Porzesk and Kobryn against the Flank of the Saxon Deployment.

"Gen. Reynier therefore marched with his Corps, which now has arrived to the west of Proczany in the direction of Janow. Here on July 25th the first ranged firefight between Saxon and Russian Forces developed when 3 Saxon Hussar Squadrons found Janow allready occupied by Enemy Infantry. The Enemy was driven back several times into Janow but the Town could only be taken after the arrivel of the remaining forces of the Avant Garde, Gen. v. Gablenz, with 5 Squadrons Hussars and 1 Squadron Polenz-Chvlgs with 2 Guns Horse Artillery. In the meantime the 80 Ulan's at Doboi were attacked by Prince Tscherbatow with 6 Squadrons Ulan's, a Regiment Tartars and 2 pieces of Horse Artillery. The Saxon Ulan's kept them 2 hours away before retiring under heavy losses to Bulkow where they met the Regiment König and moved together back to Kobryn. A Situation Report of this event was sent by Gen. v. Klengel to Gen. Reynier."

To be continued...

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Dear Friends,

here is the latest addition to my growing Saxon Army:
The Prinz Clemens Ulanen - Regiment.

Image[/url]

Enjoy :D

Next Regiment which is allready on it's way to me will be the Prinz Johann Chevaulegers.

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:33 pm

These look great Gunter but remember don't go attacking any redoubts with them no matter what Bob says. :lol:
Cheers
Dave