WARFARE PRIVATE COMMISSIONS - WHAT INTERESTS YOU?

Information related to WARFARE MINIATURES releases, future releases, range development, painting, figure usage, conversions

What codes might you invest in/buy if available

You may select up to 10 options

View results
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

WARFARE PRIVATE COMMISSIONS - WHAT INTERESTS YOU?

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:18 am

Dear All,
Having floated the idea of private funding less mainstream figures I have had several serious enquiries from Forum members about how that might work. Often, I suspect people may be enthused by such an idea but then the scale of it saps the enthusiasm..
Hmm so what if I was the only guy? Maybe nobody else would be interested, it's a lot of cash and I only want 200 figures to do my Williamite Swabian Tibetan Expedition game etc... :lol:
If however, people get talking it may be there is the possibility to syndicate on something eg:

Firing line infantry pack for Swedes during the Skane Wars. 5 codes with head variants. Very useable pack. May interest 6 people to get produced. If 6 people invested in that then the cost per head could be as little as £100-£150 with castings then available at cost of production.

So, to help the discussion along I have created a little poll for people to vote in and see if anything useful pops up.

Remember, this has nothing to do with the current production plans for Warfare but is in addition to those plans and would run at a different speed and parallel. I hope the thread builds and that those intersted derive something productive from it.

Barry
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WARFARE PRIVATE COMMISSIONS - WHAT INTERESTS YOU?

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:40 am

Although no one has posted on this thread yet I have had around half a dozen serious enquiries about moving forward on various lines. As those who have expressed interest are long term forum members and some, I have met personally. Reflecting on these facts, I am confident that the project will fly and produce new sculpts which are compatible with Warfare's existing stable.

The Poll itself is reflective of the enquiries and interests specified. I have deliberately not voted in the poll as this would distort it. I have my own vision of next output which has already been discussed with the sculptor.

To help crystallize further input/output let me share short and medium term Warfare plans including sculpts already in production.

We will release up to 30 variant cuirassier trooper sculpts featuring English helmets, Continental Helmets, Soft hats possibly bareheads and tricornes. These will come with a variety of arm options similar to the Horse codes.
We will release command versions of the above including Imperialist trumpeters.
The head variants will be positioned at various angles to provide variety for units. These should be available in September as much of the sculpting is already completed.

We will release 5 basic poses for infantry firing line with apostles. There will be up to 70 head variants across this line. These models will be useful as far back as 1675-1680 forward to around 1695. These shoul appear in the same time frame as the cuirassiers.

We will release command variants to compliment the Enthusiastic cavalry codes. These should be available by September.

We will release mounted dragoons with hats, stocking caps, fur trimmed caps and French leggings. There will also be dismounted variants available and command packs mounted and dismounted. These are likely before the end of the year.

We are likely to have the first Maison du Roi infantry codes released before Autumn. These can be used for both Gardes Francaises and Gardes Suisses.

The programme for 2013 includes explansions of the above plus some exciting new ideas which I do not want to trail in too much detail for commercial reasons. Everything above is secure and well on in production terms so no secrets there. Future stuff is quite radical and takes a very new approach to developing the range and scope of units for the period. More will drip out over the months.

So with the above in mind, it makes 'bolt ons' muh more viable. I already have a serious proposal to take the range into a new but related channel (one of the 10 choices in the Poll). This would involve an extremely significant number of new sculpts and blow the whole thing wide open.

I am also currently in the process of acquiring a series of finished but unreleased sculpts which fit perfectly with the existing offer from Warfare.

Cavalry pre orders have bee so strong that we have doubled the production quantities. This also means that cash is available to expand the cavalry packs. We are now investigating expanding the basic 7 horse poses too.

Hopefully this will provide enough information for those who may be sitting there thinking.. "Yes I would like to get involved in some way to fill gaps in my own collection"

Remember the basic idea I am proposing is quite simple. I will produce a base cost from SCULPT to PRODUCTION. That figure will be divided equally amongst those interested in contributing. Higher numbers of contributors will make the cost lower per head. Warfare will contribute pro rata.
Once the sculpts are completed, Warfare will own the sculpt rights and moulds but contributors will receive unlimited castings of their type at production prices. The sculpts will be available commercially to the market at normal prices. Warfare and its official resellers will be the only commercial outlets.

Henry Ford
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:04 am

all good stuff & I a wait further developments, though my particular immediate want is for more variety of pose within some of existing figures, but I suspect that is already in the works

:evil: Ginger
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:52 pm

I've voted on one proposal on what I would like to see but god knows when I would get around to painting them so it's probably just as well I only get one vote.
Cheers
Dave
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

I am however trying to stir up some interest in some of the proposals I voted for as I think given Muskets & tomahawks there is some mileage in figures for earlier sealer native conflicts in the new world both north & possibly even south.

:evil: Ginger
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Barry,

I am, what else :wink: , interested in the GNW. Not in the alltime stars Russia and Sweden (as Enemies of course) but in my beloved Saxons who fought the Swedish Ogre for four long years with Saxon blood and Russian Gold.

So my vote was for GNW and as an alternate line for Poles of 1680 - Winged Hussars*hint*.

Best Wishes,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Gunter my dear friend! Hello ... I am back with my feet in the green soggy grass of Bonnie Scotland and no more are my toes burning in the desert sand of Arabia! :D

I have a very serious proposal on the table from a forum member for the GNW in cluding Saxons! The existing infantry codea adequately cover Saxon infantry of the period up to about 1706(maybe a little later I think) The new Cuirassier codes will I think cover some Saxon Horse options so maybe there is room for discussion... I am leaving this open to the forum and trying only to be a 'match maker' and not a discussion or thread leader!

Cheers

B

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 am

barr7430 wrote:Gunter my dear friend! Hello ... I am back with my feet in the green soggy grass of Bonnie Scotland and no more are my toes burning in the desert sand of Arabia! :D B
My good Friend Barry... that does sound like the Hobbit's who have come home from the Land of Mordor :mrgreen:
barr7430 wrote:
I have a very serious proposal on the table from a forum member for the GNW in cluding Saxons! The existing infantry codea adequately cover Saxon infantry of the period up to about 1706(maybe a little later I think) The new Cuirassier codes will I think cover some Saxon Horse options so maybe there is room for discussion... I am leaving this open to the forum and trying only to be a 'match maker' and not a discussion or thread leader!

Cheers

B
If there weren't a Second to the above I would finance the Miniatures myself :D

Best Wishes,

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Gunter,

You have a GNW range ally in me (of, perhaps a Swedish enemy!). I think GNW would make a great range.
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Dfogleman2 wrote:Gunter,

You have a GNW range ally in me (of, perhaps a Swedish enemy!). I think GNW would make a great range.
Gunter & Barry, et al:

Same here regarding Saxons & GNW. Did Barry publish the theoretical investment mechanism and projections here somewhere?

He briefly described them to me in a PM (which has, of course, vanished! :shock:) several days ago. I hesitate to make many statements on my own, leave that to Barry.

But, I got the impression that 4 or 5 LoA members would be a decent "consortium" for an affordable share in the commission, 9 or 10, all the better, and on up. :wink:

At any rate, count me in on Gunter's vision if it proves viable. Hope I haven't spoken out of turn about details here. :?

Cheers,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Nobody is speaking out of turn this is exactly the kind of debate I wanted to stimulate.

To add further encouragement, I had a long conversation with our sculptor Clibinarium tonight and he is very up for the project. We talked through initial sculpting ideas and look and also got down to a fairly granular level on how it might unfold.

Since getting a broader grip on Warfare and closing off legacy sculpting etc we have begun planning for overlap out of the core sculpts into later/earlier periods. As an example of ideas in action:

The cuirassiers will now include:

Cuirassiers in tricorne
Cuirassiers bareheaded
Cuirassiers in front plate only
Austrian trumpeter
Bareheaded command

in addition to existing variants of
English helmet
Continental helmet
Hats
Cuirass over coat
Cuirass under coat.

Clearly I have an eye here on Sedgemoor and the WSS, War against the Turks, Bavarians and GNW. The number of Cuirassier variants will now be fairly enormous. I have seen the WiP shots and all will be released together in September.

The Saxon Army will start well catered for. Dannie F and I have already been talking about how any potential GNW releases could hit the production moulds and we will not take the conventional route... more of that in PMs I think between those who may become stakeholders.

I hope my own Warfare furrow gives succour to your own ideas and dreams here. It is very much moving towards a reality situation I believe.

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:43 am

Barry and to all GNW-'Contributors',

Maybe that's far ahead but I would like to keep up this tread by posting what my timeframe is. It would be the early stages of the GNW, the time from 1699 to 1704. If you all know the drawing's Dan Schorr included into his "Notes on the Saxon Army" you see the kind of looking I am after.

I have to admit that I hadn't used up much time to compare the drawings of Dan Schorr with the so far existing Warfare Miniatures of B/C. That will change.

So I would now be interested what the other Friends of the GNW would like to see.

Best Wishes,
Günter

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 am

Clibinarium and I are using a more intelligent approach to design now anf casting the glass forward, back and sideways with each sculpt to see if a little extra work can produce a lot of extra leverage. This has proved fruitful immediately with the cuirassiers as we have modified the brief (expanded) on the fly to produce a very large number of variants(I think 32 at the last count). This utilizes taking basic torso dollies and building on them.

Hope this stimulates more enthusiasm and debate.

Henry Ford
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Gunter,

I don't have Dan's article on the Saxons before me but IIRC the early GNW Saxons do not have tricornes, but they probably no longer had the plug bayonet as do the Warfare NYW figures(I don't know this for sure). Thus, if you are not picky you could use the current Warfare musketeers for the Saxon infantry. It looks like Barry's many cuirassier varieties and mounted dragoons should have something that will cover the early Saxon cavalry.

I personally think that the most marketable figures to get things rolling would be the Swedes and Russians as they appeared in 1709. Of course we would want to do others - early Saxons (if the current figures will not do), later Saxons, which could be used to cover many WSS armies, Danes, early Russians, Poles, etc. All of these could be used in other campaigns - Saxons and Danes in the WSS; Russians and Poles v. Turks, etc.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:28 pm

barr7430 wrote: ...utilizes...
I go away for three or four months and what happens? Standards, Barry... standards.... Leave those quaint variants to our good friends across the pond.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.