Going to Scotland... Help needed!

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Going to Scotland... Help needed!

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:22 pm

OK as it transpires today we will be going on a holiday in the UK for the last 1 1/2 weeks in August. Our prime choice right now is Scotland with us taking the ferry to Newcastle, spending 10 days in Scotland and then driving down the coast to return from Dover. We will be mobile taking our own car.

Now the big question is... What to do? Since I know many of the people here live in Scotland I am hoping for pointers. My favourites would be the highlands and Inner Hebrid coast, Isle of Skye. Is this possible, and what are the must sees? (We do not want to just sit in the car but also go hiking and visit some castles / historic sites.) We would also love to pay Hadrians Wall a visit, so pointers to the best part of that would be appreciated as well!

Oh and one last thing (and most likely the most important one)... since these are also the final 1 1/2 weeks of summer holidays in the UK... how crowded is Scotland during that time and should we still be able to find decent accomodation?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Burkhard
Last edited by 14th Brooklyn on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Going to Scotland... Help needed!

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:26 pm

14th Brooklyn wrote:.. how crowded is Scotland during that time and should we still be able to find decent accomodation? ..Burkhard
Crowded...OVERCROWDED :shock: by all the Natives :lol: :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Oh the natives are fine... As long as it is the indiginous natives and not the vacational ones! :P
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:10 pm

I am anxious to see the replies, for I am going to Scotland, as well, from the US August 31 to September 8. My wife and the other couple we are travelling with are definitely not military history buffs, but we will see Culloden for sure and I hope to sneak some other things in.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:27 pm

14th Brooklyn wrote:OK as it transpires today we will be going on a holiday in the UK for the last 1 1/2 weeks in August. Our prime choice right now is Scotland with us taking the ferry to Newcastle, spending 10 days in Scotland and then driving down the coast to return from Dover. We will be mobile taking our own car.
Burkhard
You would be as well starting your sightseeing as soon as you get off the ferry. Wallsend Roman fort isn't far away as is Hadrian's wall itself and you must visit Vindolanda, a recontructed Roman fort. There are 100's of castles and historic houses dotted all over Scotland plus a number of battlefields. After you have left Hadrian's wall and just crossed the border into Scotland the battlefield of Flodden is well worth a visit. Accomodation in Edinburgh could be difficult at that time of year as the International Festival is on for the whole month.

No matter where you want to go in Scotland there will be plenty to see but make sure you bring water proof clothing. Once you decide on a route we could give you more advice.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Castles: Caerlaverock, Stirling, Edinburgh, Eilean Donan, Hermitage, Bothwell to name but a few.
Palaces at Scone, Holyrood,Falkland and for the medieval enthusiast Linlithgow.
Battlefields: Bannockburn, Killiecrankie, Flodden(in England just), Culloden.
Museums
: Edinburgh... take your pick!
Tour of the old city underground, the ghost walk, Royal Yacht at Leith. walk the Royal Mile.

Other places to visit: Burrell collection and Art Galleries & Transport Museum and Science Centre all in Glasgow.

Towns of note and beauty: Stirling, Perth, Pitlochry, almost anywhere in the Borders, St Andrews, Inverness.

Scenery, honestly, hard to beat on a good day anywhere in the world. West coast from Glasgow (north) to Sutherland will simply take your breath away.

Visit: Glencoe, Rannoch Moor, Loch Earn, Moidart, Skye, Jura, Iona - graveyard of 30? Kings and Viking chiefs and home of St Columba's monastery.... I would avoid:

The outer Hebrides, nice but too long a journey for gentle low lying islands.

Now Golf courses......................

Dannie and Burkhard.... Google a quarter of this stuff and you'll be busy for a week or more... 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Cameronian
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Cameronian » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:18 am

What to see/do is always a problem anywhere, have a look at these two sites:

http://www.nts.org.uk/Home/

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/

http://www.visitscotland.com/see-do/activities/walking/

Interesting military collections in the city museums as well as the National War Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh castle.

Skye is easy, there's a bridge. Hebrides, ferries. Scotland is a small place but the further north and west you go, the roads get fewer, so driving times increase. The roads don't lend themselves to high speeds either. Get a good road map which shows the road types as there are still a considerable number of single-track roads in the Highlands. If you aren't used to these, there is an etiquette in using the passing places:

http://www.islayinfo.com/islay_driving_ ... roads.html

A good insect repellent is necessary for the out-doorsy stuff due to the infamous midges.

Get the weather right and our little country can be absolutely stunning.

Fàilte gu Alba.
"You might well think that; I couldn't possibly comment"

http://cameronian-onlyagame.blogspot.com/
http://camcpproj.blogspot.co.uk/
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks for all the answers so far!

@Barry: Glasgow to Sutherland coast... now the maps are giving me some problems here... would that be from Glasgow, towards Oban and tzhe Isle of Skye?

@Cameronian: Single track raods should not be that much of a problem... we went to Wales last year and got along well enough (although my better half commented, that I had way too much fun driving).

Again thanks for all the suggestions!
billwargames
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by billwargames » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:31 am

Rosslyn chapel has also became very popular since it was in the Da Vinci Code movie.
regards
Bill........
biomed
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:45 am

billwargames wrote:Rosslyn chapel has also became very popular since it was in the Da Vinci Code movie.
regards
Bill........
And it's just outside Edinburgh. Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace are both worth a visit and if the weather is good a climb to the top of Arthurs Seat gives a great panoramic view of the Lothians and Fife.
Another trip just outside Edinburgh at South Queensferry is to take a trip on the Maid of the Forth out to Inchcolmn Abbey. The boat passes WW1/2 defences on Inchgarvie then the Abbey itself is lovely and again the island also has WW1/2 defences. After that trip a run up the river to Blackness Castle is well worth a visit as is the Steam railway museum at Bo'ness.
As you can see there is plenty to see and if you happened to be in Edinburgh of a Thursday night you could also pop into the South East Scotland Wargames Club and have a game with Colin Jack, Bill Gilchrist and myself if you give us warning. http://seswc.co.uk/
Cheers
Dave
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:28 pm

Some beautiful views as you drive along Loch Ness and then of course you just might.... nah :)
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by BP » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:15 pm

We just did the Jacobite express last weekend - from Fort William to Mallaig on the Harry Potter steam train (yes we took our 6 year old :) ). Was most picturesque, and you can sit back and enjoy the view as someone else is driving :)

http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/

I'd recommend travelling first class though, much less packed in like sardines.

Bill
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:01 am

Burkhard,
Follow the track on the map

Glasgow - Inverary - Oban - Ballahulish - Ullapool
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by flags_of_war » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:59 am

If you had been here for the 11th there is a big Historical Reenactment event at Fort George which i shall be attending.

Another castle to see is Doune Castle if you are a Monty Pythin fan. It's the Castle with the Frenchies at the top.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks again guys! This has given us lots of pointers! Ferrys are booked, now comes planning the routes and accomodation.

Any tips where to find the most amazing views in the highlands (both from roads as well as hiking trails)?

@Barry: We will make that route part of our trip. Since Oban is the home of my favourite Scotch, this will be a huge plus! ;-)

@Flags of war: Sorry, but we only arrive on the 23rd.

@Dave: the way it look right now we will be in Edinburgh over either of the weekends, sorry!

Thanks again,

Burkhard