Going to Scotland... Help needed!

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Going to Scotland... Help needed!

Post by flags_of_war » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:15 am

If you are up the West Coast and at Fort William you can get a Gondola up Aonach Mor. I have not done it but i will the next time im up. It's meant to be simply stunning the view that you get.

http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/gondola-info.asp

I as recently camping up in the Morar and the sitting on Camusdarach beach was like sitting in heaven. I could have sat there all day but i had no beer :lol: .
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... a=N&tab=wi
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 am

Burkhard,

for a very small country Scotland is hugely over supplied with stunning scenery. Almost every turn of the road in the north west will reveal a sight to take your breath away. I (and others) could list them all day but suffice it to say, head for the sea lochs of the west coast and the country north and west of the Great Glen (through which Loch Ness runs). Actually, Loch Ness is to my mind one of the less spectacular things to see. On a clear day in Skye you might think you were on another planet.
Do the following and you will have a wonderful time:

1. Pack a map
2. Charge your camera batteries
3. Take midge repellant (mostly needed after rain showers or in the evening if damp)
4. Pray to the rain Gods for mercy
5. Eat some fresh sea food (Loch Fyne Oyster Bar is fantastic)
6. Don't be fooled by Tartan Gift shops (Tartan is for tourists and Scots that live abroad and get homesick)
7. Stop frequently and get out of the car for a walk around
8. Marvel at how often you find yourself to be the only human beings in sight... it can feel like a vast wilderness just round the corner from a village or a road!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by flags_of_war » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:23 am

How about EK shopping Centre Barry? :lol:
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:35 am

Ben Nevis... Now that brings back memories of 5th grade English classes! :lol:

The one Loch we would both like to see is Loch Lomond... We just need to make sure we take the high road! :wink:

Any tips as to which brand of midget... Sorry midge repellant is most effective?

Thanks,

Burkhard
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:49 am

to keep midgets at bay I would recommend a baseball bat.. for midges a normal repellant from the Apotheke/Pharmacy

As for EK Shopping Centre....it should be Nuked!

Henry Ford
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:14 pm

barr7430 wrote:to keep midgets at bay I would recommend a baseball bat.. for midges a normal repellant from the Apotheke/Pharmacy

As for EK Shopping Centre....it should be Nuked!
You mean it hasn't already been?

I'm shocked.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:58 pm

That was my thought as well Andy, certainly looks it...

Mind you, spent 22 happy years in EK!
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:52 am

barr7430 wrote: 8. Marvel at how often you find yourself to be the only human beings in sight...
This is especially true in the East End of Glasgow.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:26 am

So we have gone through our planning session last night and this is how it works out right now:

Day 1: We leave the ferry at Newcastle at 0900h and drive to Edinburgh (where we should be before noon) and spend the rest of the day in Edinburgh where we stay for the night (if we can actually find an affordable hotel).

Day 2: We leave Edinburgh for Fort Augustus (region). Driving time is around 4 1/2 hours which should leave us around 10 hours to stop at any sights we see along the road.

Day 3 + 4: Exploring the Fort Augusta (region), mostly to the north.

Day 5: Relocation from the Fort Augusta region to the Isle of Skye. Visit Eilean Donan and about half a day for the Isle of Skye.

Day 6: Touring the Isle of Skye

Day 7: Morning spned on the southern tip of the Isle of Skye, Ferry from Armadale to Mallaig and down to Oban.

Day 8: Oban to Glasgow via Loch Lomand.

Day 9: Glasgow with a relocation to the Carlisle area in the evening

Day 10:Hadrians Wall and relocating to Leeds (or somewhere else in the "Midlands") by evening.

Day 11: From Leeds (or alternatives) to Dover for our ferry (1800h). If we are early spending some time in the Dover region. (We had to go back via Dover since it would have cost us most of Day 10 to go back via Newcastle and since it would have been more than twice as expensive.)

Does this ound like a good plan? Have we allocated too little or too much time for some of the spots / regions?

Thanks,

Burkhard
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Looks good. Hope you enjoy your stay.

If you have time head to north east England to see Alnwick Castle, home of the Percy family. It is an incredible sight.

Mark
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by flags_of_war » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:34 pm

CoffinDodger wrote:
barr7430 wrote: 8. Marvel at how often you find yourself to be the only human beings in sight...
This is especially true in the East End of Glasgow.

Jim
That's just damn right nasty :cry:
Lochaber
Private
Private

Post by Lochaber » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Hello, this is my first post, and already I've managed to get my call-sign mis-spelt (it should have been Lochaber (consequence of two left thumbs))!!!

More importantly, midge repellents. The absolute best for the infamous Scottish midge is not actually an insect repellent. Instead, its a skin product: 'Skin so Soft' by Avon. It's not cripplingly expensive and it doesn't smell bad either.

Avon tends to be marketed in the UK by ladies who sell the products of a catalogue. However, you may be able to get it on-line. If not, I've seen it for sale in chemists in Oban on the West coast.

Real insect repellents, such as "Jungle Formula' aren't bad but the wee b*+%^"$s still seem able to penetrate them.

On the wider subject of visiting Scotland, you must, must, must go to Edinburgh, but Stirling has a nice wee castle too.
Although I'm from Glasgow, and think it has some fantastic museums and art galleries, if you're pushed for time you could miss it out, as you head up the West coast. For my money, the West Coast (from Port Appin to Kyle of Lochalsh) gives a great feel of the romantic Scotland.
Culloden and Glencoe are good (with great visitor centres), as is Glen Shiel.
Loch Ness is, in my humble opinion, underwhelming.
Skye is OK, but be prepared for long drives (add about half again to your planned travel times).
Personally I quite like Fort William, but I can understand those who think there's not much to it.
The Commando monument at Spean Bridge is good if you're near but not necessarily worth driving hours for.

Anyway, with regard to LoA, keep up the great work. I love the gentlemanly, verging on politically incorrect, yet retaining a veneer of civilisation, banter.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 pm

Welcome Lochaber! I can probably go into the Admin part of the Fourm and correct yor name.. give me a few days please.

As for the 'verging on' comment... you have sussed us out... we are non PC totally but actually cower behind a veneer of Middle Aged respectability (That is Middle Aged in the medieval sense!)

Feel free to be one of the gang!

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:54 am

Culloden is also very near to Fort George - the finest artillery fortification built in the 18th Century - and well worth a visit if you are in the locality. And if you are in the "Great Glen", Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness once held by one of my forbears, Sir Robert De Lawdre on behalf of the Scottish Crown in 1326 - it's MY castle :wink:
And don't forget the multitude of very, very fine distilleries hereabouts on Speyside 8)
Have a good holiday
Thinredline (one of the natives :D )
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."