R2E UPDATING & AMENDMENTS YOU HELP NEEDED

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: R2E UPDATING & AMENDMENTS YOU HELP NEEDED

Post by barr7430 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Redmenace that is a very interesting question to me. R2E pretty much works as it stands and so we have never actually thought of a 2nd Edition. There have been some small amendments made particularly to FIBUA but otherwise most things had been play tested to death. The mechanisms are robust so I am curious as to what you think may need reviewing in a 2nd Ed. There are on the stocks versions of R2E for Crimea and ACW and I know that some clubs have adapted it for AWI.

Let me know what you are thinking.

cheers
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Redmenace

Post by Redmenace » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Oh, I must have misunderstood it then as I thought four empires would be a "2nd" edition of R2E. :oops:

Is there a summary somwhere on the FIBUA changes?
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:08 pm

I guess I'm in the same boat as Gunter, where are we with the battalion guns question? What was/is the final verdict?
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:06 pm

As this Thread seems to be at a Dead End I want to add a word to the use of Battalion or Regimental Guns. I read the forementioned book of Rouveroy about the use of Artillery in the Saxon Army. He states that those guns serve the sole purpose to give the Infantry close range Fire support. According to writings of Jörg Titze in his Series about the Saxon Artillery the Caisson of the Regimental 4pdr carried 120 round shots and 30 rounds canister. That is 30% more than that of the 6pdr Field Guns (130 Round shots and 20 rounds Canister). Their can be seen a larger portion of canister though.

Their is a Foot note for the Battle of Kesselsdorf 1745 where the Geschwindstuecke or Fast Firing Guns almost stopped the Prussian advance by their devastating fire.

I therefore suggest that the Regimental Guns CANT fire at ranges above effective. I think to remember that this was exactly what Jim O'Neill suggested at the start of this thread.

The REFIT-Rule is not usable on Regimental Artillery as it is a close range Support Weapon to the Infantry and in this role it cannot withdraw anywhere to refit. They can of course run out of Ammo because of the high rate of fire. After Rouveroy the professional Gun Crews of the Saxon Artillery Regiment have been able to fire their Guns SIX to EIGHT times in a minute because of their unique loading and firing system. But only for a short period of time because of the overheating of the gunbarrels. ---> A House Rules eventually?

If the Infantry advances or attacks the Battery will fire one Salvo at the intended Target of the Regiment if within Effective Range the Turn before the advance and than fell silent until the Regiments are again in a holding or defending Situation. If this does not happen within 3 Turns(Refit Rule) they retire to the Divisional/Corps Artillery Reserve without any order necessary.

Any Questions/Suggestions?

Cheers,
Master of the Artillery,
Saxon Army HQ :D
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.