TARGE 2012 10th November, Kirriemuir

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

TARGE 2012 10th November, Kirriemuir

Post by Dale » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:32 am

TARGE 2012 takes place in Websters High School, Kirriemuir on Saturday 10th November and is open from 10.00am until 4.00pm.
21 clubs/groups are taking part. There will be a full slate of traders including Dave Thomas with half of the ranges on the planet, Figures in Comfort, Last Valley, Scheltrum Miniatures, Commando Miniatures, Urban Mammoth, Warbases, Graham's Weurk Shoppe, Highlander Games, Four A Miniatures, Graham Robertson Books, Under the Bed Enterprises and others. Warbases will carry David Imrie's Claymore Castings range.
Hot and cold refreshments all day.
Bring your entries for the painting and modelling competitions. £800.00 worth of prizes donated by the trade.
Advance sheets for the extensive Bring and Buy can be had on the website http://www.kirriemuirwargames.co.uk
Free parking and a free figure designed by our very own Steve Shaw.
Proceeds of the raffle will go to Combat Stress.
Telephone 01575-574128 any evening for more information.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: TARGE 2012 10th November, Kirriemuir

Post by obriendavid » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:09 pm

You're getting better with this new technology malarky Dale, even including links in your messages, you must be getting the kids to give you lessons? :lol:
Look forward to seeing you there.
Cheers
Dave
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:30 pm

You know, since we moved back to the NE (of England) I really miss the Kerrie show and many of the other Scottish shows..... obviously Claymore, though I don't really have an excuse to have missed it for so many years as it's just up the A1 really.

Enjoy..... and take piccies for the likes of me!! :D

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Malletus Scotorum
Private
Private

Post by Malletus Scotorum » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:41 pm

I'm going we will have the Otterburn game up and might even be testing our own rules and no i won't take pics for you Darrel :P
Ian

http://fcailza.blogspot.co.uk/ My occasional blog.

‘A man does good business, when he rids himself of a turd’
King Edward I
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 pm

Darrell, if you go onto the TARGE section of Kirriemuir Wargames Club website you’ll find various traders and the Border Reivers club all from the NE of England will be trading/displaying at TARGE. It’s a long haul but, if you can gird your loins for the journey, we’ll be very happy to see you in Kirriemuir.

Barry Hilton, the head honcho of the competition judges, and almost all of the current League of Gentlemen Wargamers, will be in attendance, if not actually displaying, but most of them are. Other past “members” of the loose group will also be there.
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Dave O’Brien, yes Dave, this confirms that you are required on the judging panel.

I thought about an attachment but that would be stretching my skills too far.
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:50 pm

Gents,
Bringing lots of "eye candy" for sale at the Bring and Buy on the 10th.

Principally this consists :-
1. 28mm x 34 Copplestone Russian Civil War Mounted Cossacks, all painted and individually based to a high standard that even I am not ashamed of.

2. A 28mm English Civil War army, predominantly Scots, all figures Foundry or Dixon, again painted to a good standard and avalaible in the following units

a) 8 squadrons (of 6 cavalry figures) 3 of which are lancers/moss troopers, and one dragoons in lobster pots and cuirasses)
b) 1 unit (of 12) dismounted in lobster pot dragoons
c) 1 unit (of 9 figures)dismounted dragoons in blue bonnets
d) 4 artillery pieces each with 4 man crews
e) 6 frame gunes each with three man crews
f) 32 man armoured pike block with with 16 musketeers, with English Flags, but easily converted to Scots with the change of a flag
g) 24 man pike block with 16 musketeers as f) above
h) 24 man pike block with 24 musketeers in blue bonnets
i) 24 man pike block with 18 musketeers in blue bonnets
j) 24 man pike block with 16 musketeers in blue bonnets
k 2 x 24 and 1 x 26 man Highland warbands.
l) a painted highland village (Scheltrum) if you fancy playing The Marquis of Montrose against some of those Blue bonnets

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks Bob. There's going to be a bit of drooling on Saturday then. I imagine some of the guys in Crann Tara are going to get a bit excited. See you at TARGE.
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by flags_of_war » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Really forward to it and have my shopping list read :lol:
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:47 pm

I'll also be there running Aberdeen Wargames club's ACW game using Mr Lincoln's War.

Just printing out the handouts right now actually!

I'll be shifting some 28mm nice early WW2 Brits, Russians and Germans including a Pz NbFz VI propaganda tank and a T-28

See you there
All the Best

The Emir
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Enjoyed the show today. Thanks to Bob and Gerry for running the LoA table 8)
Some nice games, Kev and Colin worthy winners of the Gaming gongs.

Some thoughts from my side having participated in the show for 20 years now:

1. Painting competition entries should be limited per person and possibly per category. I think there is a multiple entry syndrome going on which increases the odds for some people who do 'serial entries'. This is not, in my personal opinion healthy for competition or the hobby in general.

2. I have had occasions to doubt the origin of some entries over the years. ie entered by but not painted by. I have personally turned away entries when I have recognized work by people which is entered by other people. Some entrants seem totally unfazed by putting up other's work, I find that totally unacceptable under all circumstances. Difficult to police but important.

3. Competition might benefit from less and better defined categories. More time could be taken on both judging and description of winners and why they won.

4. They need a 'Winners' table on the stage

5. Show probably needs more traders, not many but 2-3.

6. Show probably needs a new dimension. Not sure what that might be but could be... Small Tourney, Painting or Modelling live demo (let's face it some of the hobby's Ace's are Scots.. Imrie, Taylor, Philips, Connor etc), short talks? Konstam, Grant and many others capable...

Heard whispers of some thieving at the show. This is akin to stealing from your family. I do hope the guilty have enough self respect to never show face at an event again. In a small hobby community such as ours I can think of no more shameful an act than this. If the perp ever browses this forum, don't come back you are not welcome. Hang your head creature.

Last word.. Colin Jack.. We SALUTE YOU! A worthy winner of the contribution to wargaming trophy and a front runner for the Nicest Man in Wargaming Prize(if such a thing existed!) 8) :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:34 am

I hope everyone enjoyed the show today. Any photos would be most welcome.

I've decided to award myself "Most fed up due to illness and being unable to make the show - of the year". I know the title could be snappier, but my head hurts too much to think of better. :(
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:19 am

Hi folks,
Well despite a couple of problems prior to the show I had a great day. Our ACW game was a great success, lots of interest in the figures, rules and the scenery - the whole pont of a demo. I know Dave Thomas sold some ACW plastics and Last Valley shifted some picket fence!!

Possibly a couple more club members, a catchy up with people I've not spoken to in ages and a blether a couple of folk on here and lots of chatting to people who had a wander over during the day.

That's what it's all about.

I didn't get a chance to really go for a look about but I must say I loved the terrain on the Viking table. I managed to sell almost all of my bring and buy stuff (thanks those who bought it and those booking in and manning the tables!).

It did seem quieter at times than previous years. A couple of more traders would have been welcome perhaps but I've always seen Kirrie as a social gathering rather than a shopping trip.

Thanks Dale and everyone else.
All the Best

The Emir
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:33 am

Wondered where you had got to Paul :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:13 pm

I thought the show yesterday was at the usual high standard, except for the catering. When you have a captive audience like that I feel you need to supply something better and it's not helped when he ran out of hot water at about 10am to even make tea or coffee and that was just as the show was starting. I thought the two girls last year supplied a better service.

As for the guy pocketing things then personaly I think they should be kicked out of the show once it has been discovered and not allowed back in. I understand there were also similar problems at Claymore but I don't know if it was the same person? It would be bad to find out it was the same person and if they have a history of this type of conduct they should be named and shamed.

I was very pleased to see Colin winning the award for services to wargaming. Having personally known him for over 30 years he was a very deserved case.

As to Barry's comments about the painting competition I have to agree about closer inspection of the entries regarding requirements for the category they are entering. There were many entries that we had to discount yesterday because they didn't have the required numbers which was a pity because a number of them were of a high standard. We also had a couple of entries supposedly from the same person yet there was no similarities in painting style that you would expect if the same person had painted both entries.

I hope these are seen as constructive comments to improve what is
already a very good show.
Cheers
Dave