Foundry self flagellation

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Foundry self flagellation

Post by barr7430 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:26 am

Anyone else receive the Foundry self flagellation email recently? Although very revealing and in many senses brutally frank and honest, I am finding the soul searching, personal reflection stuff from Marcus a little like the Celebrity Cultural ... come on everybody and watch me in the toilet type behaviour that exists all over the world these days. What ever happened to quiet dignity? Symptomatic of the ' If I'd known Princess Di I am sure she would have been my friend' type sentiments...

Maybe it's just my stiff upper lip Victorian attitude but.....
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Re: Foundry self flagellation

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 am

Funnily I have just read this today.I think that his notions are correct but it seems a little self indulgent. If Foundry can pull their finger out though then perhaps they can pull themselves out of their current mire.
Quite interesting, I will be interested in further developments.

By the way how do I get one of your no doubt fashionable Jean Paul Gautier style shirts.
Slim fit of course
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Can someone post a link to that email/message?
Greg
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm

T shirts be damned Jim.... Polo Shirts with embroidered Logos no less. Should've put them up on the site but didn;t manage before I left for Qatar(when I now am). Sizes: S, M, L, XL. Colour.. a noble dark blue.

I will post in shop when I get back Monday! I'm sure they'll fit you Jim! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes, I've been following the changes at Foundry for the past few months. I've always liked their detail and range. At one point the majority of my collection were manufactured by them.

My number one issue became the price (as I'm sure many would agree). During the worst of our recent frosty financial crisis it just wasn't possible to afford their individual blister packs anymore. Although I was happy when they started turfing out the end of line stock clearance stuff for £5 (then £3!!) a blister.

I welcomed the initial email about the pricing system, but was then disappointed when it was revealed that it was only "buy 3 packs get a 4th free" (and then it has to be "an identical pack"). So calculating a 24 figure regiment of say Napoleonic line infantry at £12 per pack of 8 models I'm paying £36. And even then as an extra pack I'm not able to include elites or command packs. They offer a regiment deal of 32 models for £40, but again if my collection comprises of 24 man units I'm shelling out again for extra commands and stuff to complete a second regiment.

Which is why I've ended up buying from Front Rank instead. Lovely figures, and regiments are £26...PLUS they'll mix and match to suit my requirements if I email when I order.

I can understand Foundry needing to cover their overheads; they've staff to pay, and also their premises in Nottingham are probably not cheap to maintain. But at the same time they've surely got to take into account the conditions of the current market, their competitors and the requirements of their customer base. It would be sad to see them go under.

*just noticed the other thread on the cost of Wargaming figures (which would suit in the same discussion). Interesting to see others saying they'd be willing to pay top dollar for quality figures, and also those who say that the actual cost of historical wargaming is relatively low - especially compared to GW!! Very true on that point.
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:09 am

I get the Foundry updates as well, and a bit confused in whats going on. But I do have a question on a past special they had:
Until now, when you purchased three identical packs of our models you received a 10% discount.
We are trying out a more generous system. So until further notice the following will apply:

1. WHEN YOU BUY THREE IDENTICAL PACKS: YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EXTRA IDENTICAL PACK FOR FREE.

2. WHEN YOU BUY ANY EIGHT PACKS FROM THE SAME ARMY: YOU WILL RECEIVE TWO EXTRA PACKSOF YOUR CHOICE FROM THAT ARMY FOR FREE.

3. WHEN YOU BUY ANY SIXTEEN PACKS FROM THE SAME ARMY: YOU WILL RECEIVE SIX EXTRA PACKSOF YOUR CHOICE FROM THAT ARMY FOR FREE.

List which extra packs you’d like in the comments box when you place your order. Otherwise, we’ll make sure that we choose something appropriate for you.

By “ARMY” we mean Napoleonic French, WW2 German, Crimean War British and suchlike. You can’t combine different armies!

Regrettably, you can’t combine offers either, or count packs that are bought as part of a deal such as a collection. However, we will be happy to supply you with as many different offers as you like!

4. As of now, we will be providing FREE SPEARS with appropriate models for an experimental period. We’ll just stick them in your box for you.
Is this not a good deal? Is it still available?

Thanks.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:06 am

Had a look at this the other day but the bottom line is that they are still expensive when compared to competitors