French 1672 - First Figures

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

French 1672 - First Figures

Post by Glorfindel » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:22 am

Hi chaps,

I feel like putting the flags up - I've just finished my first 28mm figures in a long, long time and thought you might be interested in having a look :

Although this took me about three weeks to finish (painting little and often) - I'm really pleased with the end result. They are meant to represent the French Regiment de Lyonnais (circa 1672). Other Regiments on the same LoA flagsheet (Poitou & Crussol) are next.

As most people will no doubt be aware, the figures are ex-Copplestone 'Glory of the Sun'. Beautiful figures but a little static.

This has been a real change for me - previous armies have been 6mm - Great Northern War & ACW :

Although I feel myself growing older painting the 28mm figures (they take so long), I feel that the end results make the effort worthwhile. I'm just not going to think about the other battalions needed before I can actually play a a game (sigh).

Best wishes,

Phil
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: French 1672 - First Figures

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:55 am

Hi Phil,

Your Frenchmen looking very well! :shock:
If you think they are to static I advise you to try the Warfare Miniatures because they are very animated. How much time it will ever take to paint those minis it is worth while :wink: :D

Besides, welcome to the forum. If you have questions just shoot!

Best Wishes,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:08 pm

These are excellent and if those are the first 28's you've painted in a very long time I look forward to seeing what you produce when you're back into the swing of painting them.
Cheers
Dave
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Dave / Gunter.

Many thanks for the kind words. I'm sure others will agree that appreciation & encouragement from fellow gamers like this keeps you painting. It certainly seems to be working as I'm already half way through my next Battalion (Crussol).

I can already see the sense in the comment in the BLB rulebook (p101, Sample French Army) that its good to maximise variety when painting the Frenchies. I'm in the initial rush of enthusiasm and (taking Phil Olley's advice) am concentrating on core units which are very grey but essential. When I've managed to complete a grey brigade, I hope to take advantage of the variety possible with a French army (grey / red / blue / green etc) and move onto Irish / Maison du Roi & Etranger Battalions.

The BLB rulebook is very helpful when it comes to painting units up - you can see what works on a figure (for example, when painting a row of buttons, leave the surounding colour slightly darker as this seems to accentuate the silvered buttons).

Its interesting to see that, although BLB covers quite a lengthy timeframe, a lot of gamers seem to be opting for the Glorious Revolution / Nine Years War / War of Spanish Succession era. The Battalions I'm painting will come from a slightly earlier period (1672 era Franco-Dutch War) when, as I understand it, most armies retained the '12 apostles' look.

After the initial three Battalions, I plan to treat myself to a command vignette and some cavalry (at last !).

Anyway, many thanks for your comments and I hope to post more pics of the second Battalion as soon as its finished. Painting away certainly makes you appreciate the effort involved in building up a complete army in 28mm - I look on in awe at some of the spectacular all-arms pictures. Still, Rome wasn't built in a day !

Cheers,

Phil
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 pm

When I start a new army like this I would aim to paint a couple of basic infantry battalions then treat myself by painting a command vignette, usually the brigadier then I would go on to finish the rest of the brigade.
I might add an artillery piece then perhaps a squadron of cavalry before going ahead with the next infantry brigade. I try to avoid repeating painting too many of the same troop types as I get easily bored so treating myself to adding little vignettes helps to break up the monotony but it's still adding more to the army.
Cheers
Dave
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi chaps,

I thought you might be interested in this - a better shot of the Regiment de Lyonnais :

I've also completed over half of the next battalion (taken from the Regiment de Crussol). A few shots :

A close-up of an Ensign and Drummer :

I was just about to start work on the drummer (to be painted up in blue French Royal livery with all the complex red & white lace etc), when I had a last look at the Osprey Louis XIV book and discovered that they wore something completely different (white, faced red).

The remainder of this Battalion are currently on order - some figures in shooting pose for the front rank this time as a change.

Cheers,

Phil
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 pm

These are excellent, Phil!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:28 pm

Jesus!
Let me paint as half as well as you do and I am satisfied :shock: :roll:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:51 pm

Tres Bon!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:04 pm

Thank you very much. I'll have to admit that it's a little scary when you blow up pics of individual figures to ridiculous sizes - every millimetre of paint is exposed to a degree of scrutiny that just wouldn't happen on the table. Silly idea - unit pics only from now on...

When the Battalion is complete, I'll post up some new pics.

Thanks for looking,

Phil

PS. The drummer is lucky to be here - I bluetacked him to an old paint pot to take the pic and the damn thing fell off. I felt every whack as he hit the chair and table on his way down before dropping on the floor. Fortunately, a quick touch up and he was good as new (ooer missus).
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:39 am

You've done an excellent job with the Northstar 1672 line!

I've generally not been a fan of the French in a helmet (the uniform, NOT the figs) but now I am a bit tempted to get my own!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Yes, I agree with the praise. Very good job. And please let us see the detail as it's all useful to newbies in this era like me. I wonder where to put the paint of various bits and in various ways so seeing the work of others is very helpful.

Just leafing through the 2nd ed of BLB has given me lots of tips and hints for painting and organising my regiments ... so, do carry on.

The figures look very good close up, too. I mean, in themselves.

Best Wishes

Theo
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Another quick update on Regiment de Crussol. (Deep breath). A close up pic of the second Ensign with an attempt at silver edging to the shoulder belt. A right pain in the jacksy to do but I'm pleased with the results.

Rear view (this will be pretty much hidden when the figure is based - If I've spent a lifetime painting it, its nice to see posterity recorded. Ha ha).

Only three more figures to paint and then this Battalion can be based up.

Thanks for looking.

Phil
Last edited by Glorfindel on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:55 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:53 pm

You have absolutely nothing to be worried or ashamed about. You're doing absolutely spectacular work. That silver edging to the belt came out perfectly!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.