Books/internet links Duch Forces 1660-1721 uniforms and stuf

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Re: Books/internet links Duch Forces 1660-1721 uniforms and

Post by turrabear » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:30 am

try maverick model's footsloger as if you send him an illustration of the flag required they'll be able to do it for you either on paper or material. they will also do the flags to the size you require.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:09 am

Rick at Flagdude has some Dutch flags already and if you need others all you do is send hima pic and he'll turn it into a flag for you. he did that for me recently with a Bavarian Leib flag. He also has some flags that are not on his website listing - email him.

Theo
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by pabblo41 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:46 am

On the theme about Dutch cavalry flags,I am painting the Dutch Cav unit Heyden, and the CD has the company standard on its colour plate, which it describes in the text as having a light/sky blue background. The blue background looks more mid/cornflower blue than light/sky blue on the plate but does come out lighter when printed, so care may be needed when looking at the precise shading, as I have noticed on Hall CD plates some of the font colours are quite "electric", especially the pinks. I will have to repaint my officer figure as the CD has him in all blue and looks quite good, right or not I am going to invoke "artistic license" as my reason. 8) :D

Also some of the flags are speculative but are based on reasonable assumptions, with the lack of any other info are probably a good guess, but it is a guess. :wink:
Pabblo41
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:25 pm

I am sure it will be the definitive reference for the Dutch (like his French books), but I think I'll wait to hear more detailed reviews as for me 50 quid is a bit eye-watering when I probably have some of the info in disparate sources already.
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Clibinarium wrote:I am sure it will be the definitive reference for the Dutch (like his French books), but I think I'll wait to hear more detailed reviews as for me 50 quid is a bit eye-watering when I probably have some of the info in disparate sources already.
Hear him!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by pabblo41 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:15 am

Clibinarium wrote:
"I am sure it will be the definitive reference for the Dutch (like his French books), but I think I'll wait to hear more detailed reviews as for me 50 quid is a bit eye-watering when I probably have some of the info in disparate sources already."

Der Clibinarium
Please dont take my inital comments in reply to another forum member question (who has also ordered the CD), as any sort of review in any way (I am sure you are not! If anybody is...Oh dear? :oops: ). As I said it is over 500 pages long, I got it yesterday so anything I say is an initial impression not a review!

As for the price.. completely agree. eye watering,but you should see what the price of the book versions of his other CD's are on the Pike & Shot website.. at least double the CD price if not more, and they sell out. I expect the book version of this will be 3 figures.

It will probably become the definitive reference for the Dutch .. but only for us poor English speakers.
Pabblo41
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:29 am

No worries, I wasn't referring to your comments as a review or implying that your comments weren't detailed enough. No criticism was intended.
I agree that the print versions of these works are much more expensive, I suppose that's a feature of very niche publication. I'd snap them all up if I had the disposable cash, but I don't.

50 quid for the CD may well be the fair price, given all the research that will have gone into it. Having committed myself to the Mark Allen CD just this week, I really would have to wait to see whether there'd be enough additional information on the Hall CD to justify the extra expense. If you can comment on that issue in due course please do!

None of this is a criticism of Hall's work, its just beyond my budget for now.
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:32 am

Ordering with OMM will save some bucks, even with shipment to EU.
The price on Baccus website is very high.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by pabblo41 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks Clibinarium

None taken.It was not your particular posting which annoyed me as I understood where you were coming from.
I must admit a 4 letter word came to mind when I saw the price :oops: ! For me the purchase was a matter of time and convenience, and like you say I also have much of the material in various sources, much of it in German. I don't have much time (family etc.), and did not like the idea of spending what time I had translating German into English, even with the on line translation tools now available, and they are not 100% accurate and do not recognise all the words, as we found out when we got a letter from the Austrian Police all in German(My daughter was involved in a Ski accident when she was out there. You have to report it to the Police (she got breathalysed), and they decide what action to take, bit like traffic cops on the slopes. In this case we worked out that she was OK.)

The other thing that convinced me it was worthwhile what what Iain Stanford said about it either on this or the Pike & Shot forum (round about Sept last year), about his involvement and the work he and others (mostly Dutch and German contributors) were doing (lots of translating as you said, some of the German is old and they needed to understand what was meant). I think the original intention was to issue it as 2 CD's and to have the 1st one out by Xmas.

The OMM site is cheaper, the main difference being "VAT :cry: :evil: " The $60 price they quote approximates to the pre VAT £40 price on the Baccus site, and from the P&P they quote is about £10 cheaper.

As for a review I am hoping a professional reviewer in one of the mags/online sites might do one,... you would be waiting a very long time for me to do a proper one :oops: sorry.

Regards
Pabblo41
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Got. One from OMM today, but I live in the US.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Dfogleman2 wrote:Got. One from OMM today, but I live in the US.
This, I got mine yesterday.
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Nice. Hopefully I'll get mine in the next couple of days then.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:33 pm

been waiting ten day's for mine.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:13 am

Had to chime in as well, I got my copy yesterday as well...a nice gift on Tax Day!

Excellent job by Dennis at OMM!!!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Motorway
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Motorway » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 am

MIne is on the mail as well, of course I will review it on our blog after it arrives.