TROPHEES DE LA GUERRE DE SUCCESSION D'ESPAGN

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

TROPHEES DE LA GUERRE DE SUCCESSION D'ESPAGN

Post by Jeff78 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Just trying to get an idea on how this stacks up as a reference book for flags. Worth $35?
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: TROPHEES DE LA GUERRE DE SUCCESSION D'ESPAGN

Post by Dfogleman2 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:34 pm

It depends on what other references you may have. If you are a big fan of the period, and can read French, at least a little bit, it is certainly worth the money. Lots of line drawings of flags and notes trying to establish which regiments they belong to.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:09 pm

do you read French as I have the book bought it many years ago . the book is dived into chapters on various battles Blenheim ramilles ect . all the illustrations are in black and white each chapter show's French and French allied standards captured at the battle the chapter is about . it does contain French orders of battle and maps as well . but my honest opion unless your French is pretty good you'd be better of with the hall book's.
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:03 am

I almost purchased an original with colour plates, large format it was lovely but the bookshop wanted a lot (£150 I think) by the time I decided to buy it they had sold it, not a good day.
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:52 am

Literally it is an interpretation of Anna Beek and Spofforth prints, showing French flags taken by Dutch and English during WSS.
If you are looking for flags and you already have Hall, you will find nothing new in this book. If you can read French, you will find interesting albeit short description of battle of Ekeren inside. More battles are described, but these were wider described in English already.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
Jeff78
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jeff78 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:39 am

Many thanks for the replies. I read Spanish well enough and can usually get the gist of what's being said in French. Sounds like I probably have most of this info with other sources though so I'll save the $35 for something else.