Moan!

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Moan!

Post by Theo Raykoske » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:35 pm

The more I learn about and get into this period of history the more I cannot understand the lack of interest from historians. I know that thetre may be 'technical reasons' for some of that - languages etc. But the period has so many titanic battles, sieges, colourful characters, glittering uniforms .... Argh!

If I see another book on Waterloo I shall triple shot the forward carronade and open up! ...

T

PS And I think Waterloo is an interesting battle ....
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Re: Moan!

Post by Graf Bretlach » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:48 pm

The further back you go the less information there is about anything, at Waterloo they argue about if such and such company was commanded by x or y and did they have 64 or 69 men present, were they wearing x or y buttons.
The 17th century you are lucky if you know what regiments were present and colour of coats, and this is in any language.

for me this is the attraction, finding information that is not already well known.

I started with Waterloo and it still interests me but not as much anymore.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:09 am

I love this period. Hmm Waterloo... Isn't that where Napoleon tried to delay the inevitble? Pointless debate, history would have played out as it did anyway. Interesting battle though.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:56 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theo Raykoske
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Theo Raykoske » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:24 am

I know I'm irritating an old wound for members of this website but what I would really appreciate is more information about other theatres of the WSS. I suppose I am just crying in my beer, so to speak ....

T
El Cid
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by El Cid » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:45 pm

I´m working on the Italian/Savoyan theatre for more than 2 years, and it´s very tedious, nearly all the special stuff is in Italian language.

And seemingly most of the italian wargamers are not very interested in this period or in translating and providing some stuff .....
Perkunos

Post by Perkunos » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:09 pm

Churchill wrote:Hi Guy's,

Totally agree with Joe and Graf on this one.
Fascinating and colourful period the 1660 -1721 era is, but also a headache to research.
For the British regiments, no numbering of regiments until 1751, and so all known by their colonel's surname.
Colonel's pay for the upkeep of their regiment and therefore have the right to carry a flag of his livery i.e. family crest/ coat of arms, and possibly a change of their facing colour of his regiment.
If the colonel is K.I.A. the regiment passes to someone else, who again uses their surname in the naming of the regiment, some uniform colour change, change of colonel's flag.
I'm amazed that with the great victories of the early eighteenth century in Germany and Flanders that nothing remains.
No uniforms, flag's even captured one's remain with us today.
In January 1705, 34 standards and 128 colours taken at Blenheim were paraded from the Tower of London to Westminster Hall.
For the first time since Agincourt in 1415 England had won a decisive victory over the French and it is said that the entire population of London had turned out to celebrate as London had never witnessed an occasion to equal it.
These trophies were later transferred to St.Paul's Cathedral where they were allowed to moulder away.
An investigation in 1835 of the trophies taken at the battle sadly noted that "not a rag nor a staff remained".
Unlike the French and Dutch, we sadly don't seem to have kept many records of the period.

Cheers,

Ray.

When you say no flags have come down to us I seem to remember but am unable to find the source at this precise moment of the story of the English regiment, possibly Kirke's Lambs, marching towards Sedgemoor(? again from memory but certainly within England) and ensign falling ill. He fell out of the regiment taking the Colour with him and stayed with a local family. The regiment moved on and the ensign died, leaving the Colour with the family who kept it for generations. I wrote this up for the BMSS Journal and one of their members added an illustration - which from memory hadthe Paschal Lamb on the Colours - but then it would if it was Kirke's Regiment.
I kept a copy of this Journal - I have it somewhere and if I can find it will post it.