Sad day, Farewell Donald Featherstone

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Scruff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Sad day, Farewell Donald Featherstone

Post by Scruff » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:42 am

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=318455

I was saddened to see this, his books got me into wargames all those years ago which I still have, very worn and abit dog eared.

So thank you for the many many years of enjoyment you created for me and my friends.

cheers
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sad day, Farewell Donald Featherstone

Post by barr7430 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:19 am

I had the privilege to meet Donald about 12 years ago at the VMS in London where David Imrie and I were putting on a Crimean War game with which Donald was very taken. He stayed with us at the table for some time and returned a couple of times during the course of the day. The mark of the man was his genuine surprise when I recognized who he was having first introduced himself as a 'wargamer who had written a couple of books!'
A very nice gentlemen and without being overly sentimental a true Father of the Hobby.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:05 pm

The man has had a huge influence on my life and it's through his introduction to the hobby that I have made so many friends.
I also had the pleasure to met him down at Salute a few years ago and he was a thorough gentleman despite being interrupted all day by so many people. He's a sad loss to the hobby.
Cheers
Dave
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:22 pm

I am of that generation who found their first awakening in the local public library. Don Feathersone's books were like spun gold to an army barmy eleven year old.

A glass will be raised.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Indeed it shall especially as I am of the same generation.

:evil: Ginger
Emir of Askaristan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Emir of Askaristan » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:03 pm

A key figure in the development of the hobby and like others here my own introduction to wargaming. Sadly missed, but his work will stand as his epitaph.
All the Best

The Emir
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:28 am

I never met Mr Featherstone, but I have a stack of his books. His ability to reduce a set of rules to the barest minimum and still retain an appropriate feel for a period had a huge influence on the kinds of games I enjoy and kind I've tried to write for my own use (including elements of VWQ and Donnybrook).

Campaigning with the Duke of Wellington and Featherstone is one of the first wargame books I ever bought (after Charge! and Operation Warboard). The scenarios presented there formed the basis for the first real campaign I ever played.
Bitbag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bitbag » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:33 pm

As a fresh faced youngster in the second year of 'big school' in the late 80's, my world consisted of painting seemingly endless supplies of Airfix 1:72nd figures, and my first forays into building and painting 1:35th Tamiya AFVs and figures. After I'd finished them, there wasn't much else to do, other than make dioramas or move them around the dining room table. My mother, understandably, asked repeatedly 'What was I going to actually do with them?' :?

Donald Featherstone's book 'Battles with Model Soldiers', borrowed from the library around that time, changed all that. Now I realised there WAS something I could do!! :lol: So my wargaming life started, with trips to Partizan, buying Wargaming Illustrated, ordering my first figures - Essex Miniatures, painting, gaming, an enhanced love of history, and re-enactment!

Donald was truly an inspiration to so many, and has left a lasting legacy. He'll be greatly missed. Above all, he gave me (and probably thousands of other schoolboys) the response to Mum's ever-present question, with...'I'm going to WARGAME with my little figures, Mum! That's what I'm gonna do' :D

Thanks Don. RIP and keep shaking 6's.
Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Artimas » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:54 pm

I had the great privilege of meeting Mr. Featherstone in the early 1990's when he was invited to our regional wargaming convention in Kansas City Missouri. What is more, I actually played in a game he set up and participated in at that time. He also gave a wonderful lecture although I don't remember the topic.
He was undoubtedly a fine and cheerful person, who truly loved our hobby and enjoyed relating that love to others.
We are all the better for having known him.

RIP Don Featherstone

Artimas
Jefferson City, Missouri USA