The raising of the Royal Saxon Army 1869 - 1871

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

The raising of the Royal Saxon Army 1869 - 1871

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:23 am

Dear Friends,

in this thread I want to start my next project which I had outlined, in a historical view earlier with a thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3848

While I was writing the above researching was going on and showed me that I had to decide which of the two timelines I wish to make.

I decided that the Franco-Prussian War would be the better Choice.
Mainly because their is again no company that makes a suitable and complete range of Saxon Troops of this period.

I will post here what Figures will be used, painted units and historical views. As Part of the German Empire Saxony had the right to have a Royal Army under the command of Crown Prince Albert of Saxony but had to provide troops to form the XII. Corps to the North German Union.

Thanks for following.
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Re: The raising of the Royal Saxon Army 1869 - 1871

Post by Russian James » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:53 am

Look forward to seeing more on this, should be very interesting!

A time of great changes both in Europe and on the battlefield...
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 pm

I agree with Jim, this will be interesting, as the Franco-Prussian conflict is one of my weakest areas of subject knowledge. Hoping to learn more! :D
Bryce
PaulPatrick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by PaulPatrick » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi Gunther. Seems like another great project. As usual, I imagine these will be large armies.

Paul.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:58 pm

THAT man is in AGAIN!..... The megalomania of the exiled Saxon, sitting south of the border in the heart of the old Empire.... he will muster ALL of his Saxon Legions and retake Europe for the glory of Saxony!!!! :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:55 pm

barr7430 wrote:THAT man is in AGAIN!..... The megalomania of the exiled Saxon, sitting south of the border in the heart of the old Empire.... he will muster ALL of his Saxon Legions and retake Europe for the glory of Saxony!!!! :lol:

Barry,
Question is what is earlier up: Your Ruleset "Four Empires" or my Royal Saxon Army Corps? :wink: :D

Btw., the size of this Saxon Army wont be that large :mrgreen:

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:
barr7430 wrote:Btw., the size of this Saxon Army wont be that large :mrgreen:

mmmm..... Think I'll reserve judgement on that until we see the photos... :lol:
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Here is a picture of the Crown Prince Albert, who commanded the XII. Army Corps andwho was promoted for bravery and superb Leadership to Prussian Fieldmarshall and Commander of the newly created Maas-Army!

Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Dear Friends,

I don't know if this was clear but Steve and I are starting to built our own range of FPW Figures. Last week I gave him a USB-Stick with a lot of pictures and Uniform details of the German Army, Saxons of course, and we made plans of the future Range. For now they will be done like his ACW Range - separate Legs, Upper Body, Arms and, for now, 3 Head Variants. Marching troops may get the Pickelhaube while fighting men may have the Feldmuetze/Fieldcap.
Steve intend to start with the Heads next week.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:37 pm

This sound verrrry interesting!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 pm

I'll be watching this with a great deal of interest as well...
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Dear Friends,
As announced in my last post Steve has sculpted the 3 Head Variants now.
He currently works on the future poses for the Miniatures. I suggested to do them in the line like the Napoleonic Saxon Light Infantry as we had there 17 different poses and it seems that would give great variaty to the new range. Some Officers are already in the process of sculpting, mounted and on foot, most likely to be used as parts of Staff Vignettes. Further Poses will be some forms of charging/storming troops. Infantry types will go for Light Infantry, Line Infantry and Grenadiers. Also in consideration are the famous Krupp Guns C61-64 as the 8cm and 9cm Versions used as light and heavy Field pieces.

Thats all for now.
More of it as soon as news are available.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:24 am

Dear Friends,

Doing intense research on the Saxon Army in FPW I came to a few facts which I wasn't aware off. The strenght of this Army will by far exeed all I have done before as they took over the Prussian Unit Organisation by the letter.

To show the extent of this here are a few examples:

A Regiment of Infantry had a strength of 3000 men organized in 12 companies which formed 3 Battalions in the field. That gives 250 men for each company! That said and using the future Ruleset of 4E with a figure man ratio of 1:20 a Battalion would have 50 Figures! :shock:
But, as the Regiments have to form a Reserve Battalion that stayed at home to train recruits you can say that the average strength of the companies would have dropped to approx. 200 men so you will have 40 Figures in each Battalion and 120 figures in a Regiment.

2 Regiments formed a Brigade, 2 Brigades a Division. One Division did have the 2 Jaeger Battalions attached while the other had the Fusilier Regiment of 3 Battalions attached. Each Division had a Foot Artillery 'Abteilung' of 4 Batteries, 2 Heavy 9cm(6pdr) and 2 Light 8cm(4pdr), of 4 guns each. Krupp Guns of course.
There have been 8 Line Infantry Regiments, 3 Battalions each, 1 Fusilier Regiment with 3 Battalions and 2 Jaeger Battalions.
That gives 29 Battalions with 40 figures each: All together 1.160 Figures Infantry.

The Cavalry formed 6 Regiments of 5 Squadrons each, 4 Field and 1 Depot Squadron. A squadron had between 125 and 150 men. The Saxon Cavalry built 1 Garde Reiter Regiment, 3 Reiter Regiments and 2 Ulan Regiments.

The Artillery was formed in 1 Regiment, later transformed in a Brigade. The Regiment consisted of 14 Foot Batteries and 2 Horse Batteries which were grouped in 4 'Abteilungen' of 4 Batteries each. The strength of one battery is given in peacetime with 4 guns while at war with 6 guns each. Its a bit unclear where the number of 6 is coming from but maybe I find out later.

Cheers,
Günter

Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:48 am

Interesting. Any word on why they had 2-5x the "light troops" allotment of a standard Prussian Corps?
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:46 am

Rob Herrick wrote:Interesting. Any word on why they had 2-5x the "light troops" allotment of a standard Prussian Corps?
Rob,

I think You are referring to the seperate Regiment of Fusiliers?
I have read that the Saxon Royal Army had some special Agreements when joining the North German Union under the Leadership of Prussia. The Treaty was signed only months after Königgrätz. This included alot of things like a different style how they wear their uniforms, a untypical construction of units like the Line Regiments which would have, as Prussian standard, two Musketeer and one Fusilier Battalion in their 3 Battalion Regimental Structure while the Saxons had a two Battalion Regimental Structure.

As the Saxon Royal Army had allready 16 "Line"-Battalions of 6 Companies each and 4 Jaeger Battalions of 5 Companies each it was agreed that those Jaegers would have to form a new Battalion which would become the first Battalion, the old second Jaeger becomes the new second Battalion while the former fourth Jaeger Battalion become the new third Battalion and all were named Schuetzen in the new Schuetzen Regiment.
The First Jaeger Battalion became the First Jaeger Battalion "Kronprinz" Nr. 12 and the former third Jaeger Battalion became the Second Jaeger Battalion Nr.13.

Each of the Line Regiments had 12 Companies so they formed themselves in 3 x 4 Company Battalions.

This reconstruction provided more Battalions without raising new troops or train new recruits because all men were Veterans from the last Campaign of Prussia against Austria.

Hope that helps.

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.