Stripping Paint From Miniatures

Here's where we pass on good ideas to each other about how to produce mini-meisterwerks
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Stripping Paint From Miniatures

Post by PaulMc » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi folks, anyone got a good tip on the best method for this?

I heard of some sort of green solution to leave minis soaking in. I don't want to use acetone.
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Stripping Paint From Miniatures

Post by andy thompson » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:33 pm

For metals and resin, Fairy Power Spray.

Put victims on baking tray. Spray liberally. Wait for 20 mins. Stick them in the sink and give a wee scrub with a soft brush - nail brush for example.

This will usually do the trick but if not, just repeat the process.

Tell wife you've cleaned the baking trays.

Bask in the surprise and admiration :wink:

Andy
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Cheers Andy, yer a star! Got quite a few ECW figs from my mate Ian, they encountered a particularly nasty bunch of useless "bar steward" removal men who chucked them all in one box. So I'll take them back to - metal and start over.

The bad word filter removed b-a-r-e!!! :lol:
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:56 pm

For metal figures you cant beat Nitromors water soluble pint stripper soak over night for best effect in a glass vessel as it will remove every thing down to the - metal & that includes hard polystyrene bases milliput & green stuff & any super glue.

I have never tried to strip plastic or resin and generally just retouch it or over paint if its really necessary

:twisted: Ginger
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:08 am

I am guessing "some sort of green solution" refers to Simple Green, an environmentally safe general-purpose cleaner -- and an excellent paint stripper.

I have used it on some very old Hinton Hunt figures as well as more recent figures from a variety of manufacturers. In every case it has removed the paint quite efficiently and left them with a minty fresh smell. I soaked the figures for a few days (in a glass jar) which removed 90% of the paint. After I removed the figures, I spent a few minutes cleaning the figures with a stiff toothbrush. This removed the remainder of the paint. I then rinsed the figures in tap water and dried them thoroughly. I was able to prime them the next day and have had no problems with the figures since (I did notice the figures were a bit darker in coloration, although in the case of the Hinton Hunts this may be a reflection of age and the high lead content).

It is available in the UK: http://www.encleansols.co.uk/3/index.ph ... &Itemid=35
Der Alte Fritz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Der Alte Fritz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Simple Green is amazing stuff and I give it my highest recommendation. I soaked some figures in it overnight and 90% plus paint fell off and the remainder was easily cleaned off with a tooth brush. And it is not toxic.
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:36 pm

I've been using Dettol, occasionally neat, the rest of the time 50:50 with water (having been told the latter works better), followed by a scrub over with an electric toothbrush.

Works - to a point - on metal, plastic or resin figures; however I have found limitations that I haven't seen reported by others who have used this method:

- enamels come off more readily than acrylics, except for red, which stains the "clean" figure
- basing material will form a sticky ball that adheres randomly to the figures
- after the initial soaking, the paint will "clump" and you need to pull this off with tweezers rather than try and rub it off, as this makes the dead paint cling even more resolutely.

Anyone else found limitations with Dettol, or best practice for using it?
Ssshhhhh!!!!!