Reichskrieg - War along the Rhine

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Reichskrieg - War along the Rhine

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Dear Friends,

While working through the Units of my "Army" I came to the term Horse for Cavalry. So what do I have to expect of these?
Are they some sort of Cuirassier but without armour? Or does this term point more towards Dragoons?

Anyone who can help me herewith?

Thank You!

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 pm

The term "Horse" denotes line cavalry in everything I've ever read. They could armoured, such as the Danish horse, or the English horse after 1707, or not. In a number of instance at least a breastplate might have been regulation, but was not in fact worn.

Dragoons were dragoons.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 am

Dfogleman2 wrote:The term "Horse" denotes line cavalry in everything I've ever read. They could armoured, such as the Danish horse, or the English horse after 1707, or not. In a number of instance at least a breastplate might have been regulation, but was not in fact worn.

Dragoons were dragoons.
Thank's Danny. Seems that I have to wait for the details about certain units until the R. Hall CD's arrive from the US.

Next unit to get a go are the Hohenzollern Cuirassiers, 6 squadrons strong, Uniform details are known, Order will go to WFM as they have loveley Cuirassiers of this type. Hope nobody is worried that I will do them 12 Figures strong - 2 BlB Squadrons 6 Figures each - a familiar sight :D Only thing to figure out is what Colours they had. Ah, yes, they get two colours for each Regiment as long as they form at least 2 BlB Squadrons.

Any Comments are welcome!

Cheers,
Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:02 am

Today a small package arrived from Maverick Models with some loveley flags!
I ordered the flags to be printed on paper and on "stuff" to see how it would like. I must say, I am impressed. As clear and shiny the paper flags look the matt finish of the stuff flags is impressive and looks more natural.

It is essential to know that the flags of this age are normaly hand painted on silk. Therefore fading out the colors after months in the field with all the rain and dust is no wonder.
Only a few of the flags are made by sewed-on silver or golden treads which would endure quite long but have been very expensive!

As an example, one of the saxon flags of 1702 which was make like that (now to be seen in the Stockholm Army Museum) costs the same as the Year income of a mason or carpenter! :shock:

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Just looks as if the ordered Cd's from the US have arrived :D
Message from the PO tells me that something has to be picked up with paying some Toll Charges so lets see :wink:

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:11 pm

First Unit ready to take the Field is the Imperial Austrian Dragoon Regiment
STYRUM.

Second Squadrons Flag has not been attached yet, Miniatures are from EBOR, Flag is made by Maverick-Models and made of Material. Painted by Neil Wilson.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:59 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Churchill wrote:Hi Gunter,...Keep them coming...

Cheers,

Ray.
Thanks Ray,
Tryin', tryin! :D :wink:

Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Artimas » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:36 am

Gunter:

That's quite a classy-looking group of gentlemen; I hope they're not up to any trouble. :shock:

Artimas
Jefferson City, Missouri USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Artimas,

Thank You. It is a nice looking unit. More to come.

I just found a note within the R. Hall CD referring to the Austrians:

"The regiment’s train included the “Balkenkarren” or beam carts which carried the beams and Schweinsfeder, or short pikes to make up chevaux-de-frise.."

BARRY!!! I think I have to use the Mile-Long stuff again! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Gentlemen,

Has anyone an idea where I will find information on the Franconian Troops of this time? Regiment Erffa, Schnebelin and Durlach. Can't find a clue how those would have looked like not to say what flags they would have... :roll:

Thanks,

Günter

Jeff77

Post by Jeff77 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:29 pm

Any good histories of this start to the WSS? Unfortunately most of the English works start in 1705. Also wonder what's out there for the Italian campaigns, once again in English. Thanks.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Oh my God! :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Churchill wrote:Hi Gunter,

When asking could you mention either cavalry or infantry regiments for the named regiments as it gives us a bit more of a clue :idea:
Regiment Erffa - https://www.baccus6mm.com/includes/howt ... an.inc.php

Regiment Durlach - not sure if these were Swabian :?:
https://www.baccus6mm.com/includes/howt ... an.inc.php

Unfortunately I haven't found anything on Regiment Schnebelin so far, but I'm still looking :shock:

Hope that is of some help to you,

Ray.
Hi Ray,

:oops: Sorry didnt mention this.

All three should be Foot Regiments.

Johann Andreas Schnebelin was the Commander of the 1st Franconian "Kreis"-Regiment of Foot. Found some reference that this unit was called Varell in the SYW.

Great find Ray, very helpfull!

Cheers,
Günter