Bactrian Greek Project

For gaming comments, queries, painting and modelling tips relating to the periods generically classed as 'Ancients'
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Bactrian Greek Project

Post by Adam Hayes » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:42 pm

I have just posted another installment in my stuttering Bactrian Greek project: http://wargamewarrior.webs.com/apps/blog/

Quite enjoying putting together some cavalry from components in a variety of plastic sets.

Churchill
General
General

Re: Bactrian Greek Project

Post by Churchill » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:25 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atheling
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Atheling » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:46 am

Ray,

i would suggest impetus but it seems you have already bought War and conquest so maybe just go with that and see how you feel they play.

They are supposed to be an improvement on WAB.

If you get the chance Impetus is worth a try- I believe thay play it a lot at SESWC (or used to- I haven't been up in three years!). Ask Mr O'Brien, he will be able to furnish you with a more accurate answer then I.

Darrell.
Just Add Water High Quality Painting Service:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Gawalthaufen Blog (Late 15C Warfare):
http://gewalthaufen.blogspot.co.uk/
La Journee Blog (Early 15thC Warfare):
http://lajourney-bedford.blogspot.co.uk/
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:39 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:10 pm

Atheling wrote: If you get the chance Impetus is worth a try- I believe thay play it a lot at SESWC (or used to- I haven't been up in three years!). Ask Mr O'Brien, he will be able to furnish you with a more accurate answer then I.
Darrell.
I haven't been a member of the club for four years but when I saw them playing Impetus I wasn't too impressed with the rules but the guys playing seemed to be enjoying themselves. I did try one game and was bored stiff with it, it just felt like playing a board game as you were just shuffling bases about, the addition of figures on the bases just seemed like an after thought. I didn't really get the feel of fighting an ancients battle. I much prefer Hail Ceasar.
Cheers
Dave
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:21 pm

I too started out as a WRG player 6th Edition and then 7th Edition Ancients. The first I always found unsatisfying and the latter pretty much killed off my enthusiasm for the period. It was only the advent of Piquet and its Archon supplement that renewed the interest in 25mm ancients in our little group. I like the varied and subtle ways that an army and the troops that make it up can be characterised to give it a unique feel to play. Also the fog of war and "command frustration" built into the mechanisms do produce challenging and exciting tabletop battles. (This is also one of the things that players who are used to their "helicopter view" and telepathic generals hate about the rules.)

Playing a few games with a group who know them is a good plan to get a good feel for these rules and saves on investing in pricey rulebooks.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Fri May 02, 2014 5:55 pm

Finally got these chaps painted up.

click here for more pictures
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Thu May 15, 2014 11:27 pm

Assembled some infantry for the Bactrian Greeks now:

(Officer of the Argyraspides equivalent)

More blurb and pictures here
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:27 pm

Like Dave O’Brien I was not very impressed by the Impetus rules. I’ve only seen them in action a few times, usually at SESWC evening meetings where I have been along as guest several times and agree with Dave’s comments. Hail Caesar does require greater figure investment but big blocks look great. However, I have reverted to the Crusader rules in the past couple of years and these are the rules used in Kirriemuir Wargames Club’s successful display game this year with Macedonians and Thracians going at it hammer and tongs.

Adam, your Bactrian Greek cavalry unit looks great. My own Bactrians are from a slightly earlier period, many with scale armour leg chaps and are Persian allies for battles against Alexander. Marco from Rif Raf did the basic painting and I tarted them up with a bit more variation and highlighting. Marco is busy with some more and I plan to do others myself from scratch. At a figure ratio of 1:20 the units will be quite large but should look like heavy cavalry meaning to do lots of harm.
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:27 pm

Like Dave O’Brien I was not very impressed by the Impetus rules. I’ve only seen them in action a few times, usually at SESWC evening meetings where I have been along as guest several times and agree with Dave’s comments. Hail Caesar does require greater figure investment but big blocks look great. However, I have reverted to the Crusader rules in the past couple of years and these are the rules used in Kirriemuir Wargames Club’s successful display game this year with Macedonians and Thracians going at it hammer and tongs.

Adam, your Bactrian Greek cavalry unit looks great. My own Bactrians are from a slightly earlier period, many with scale armour leg chaps and are Persian allies for battles against Alexander. Marco from Rif Raf did the basic painting and I tarted them up with a bit more variation and highlighting. Marco is busy with some more and I plan to do others myself from scratch. At a figure ratio of 1:20 the units will be quite large but should look like heavy cavalry meaning to do lots of harm.