Base Sizes

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
PanzerKaput
Private
Private

Base Sizes

Post by PanzerKaput » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Firstly I would like to say that this is a wonderfully game and written in a well that I understand which is plus. The straight forward, common sense approach to the rules is rather refreshing and has got my looking into a new period for the first time in a very long time. So thank you there but now for my question.

Is it me, and I think it might well be, but I cant find anything on base sizes. I was thinking about putting my chaps on 2 pence pieces and but cavalry on 40mm circular ones but I was wonder is there any guidelines there?

Ta

PK
quindia
General
General

Re: Base Sizes

Post by quindia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the kind words!

Any basing method you choose is fine. There isn't really much advantage to be gained from 20mm vs 25mm bases, round or square, etc. I'm sure there are rules lawyers out that who can find ways to abuse this, but I generally don't play games with people like that more than once.
PanzerKaput
Private
Private

Post by PanzerKaput » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:12 am

Thanks there Clarence
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 am

I've gone for 20mm round for foot because I like round bases for skirmish games and smaller bases will be easier to fit in sabot bases for other systems :)

Need to think through my horse though...
Phil Robinson
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Phil Robinson » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:40 am

I use these for cavalry bases

http://war-bases.co.uk/Bases/OVAL-PILL-BASES

Movement trays are also available.
"If you are going through hell, keep going" Winston Churchill

http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks Phil, I've those for Romano-Brits, but I like to have steel bases. I'll have to see if I can get Precision to do oval ones too :)
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:09 am

UK Pennies for infantry which has to operate in close order 25mm Pill bases for horse and UK two Pennies for infantry who dont operate in close order and civilians on foot

:twisted: Ginger
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:07 pm

I use 1" fender washers with the smallest opening in the middle as possible for my individual based figures. I like the washers as I place down magnetic striping in my storage boxes - help secure them down when transporting. I buy them in bulk at my local Ace Hardware store for about $6.00 for a 100. For my cavalry units I made my bases 1" X 2.5". For the Special Characters and the Hero, I use a larger fender washer like a 2" or 2.5". My hero for the Cult Faction is the Headless Horseman from West Wind, that came on a unique base, so I had to customize his base to fit the model.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
PanzerKaput
Private
Private

Post by PanzerKaput » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks guys some good ideas there too. I never guessed the difference between the base sizes. I like the idea of the oval, pill bases
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 pm

UK copper coins are actually now all copper plated steel so magnetic strips or sheet in storage boxes

:evil: Ginger
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:51 am

True Ginger, but some of the older ones are still in circulation. So it's worth checking before mounting them and doing all the work on the base.

Yes, I'm one of those that found out afterwards ;)
Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Artimas » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:18 pm

To find out if you have an older coin: 1. Insert coin in mouth and 2. bite down real hard! :twisted: If you still have a tooth in one piece, you have an older coin. :roll:

(For any members under the age of 3 and lawyers looking for a law suit, I didn't say the above: the devil made me.)

Have a good day...

Artimas
Jefferson City, Missouri USA
DemonWolf

Post by DemonWolf » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Artimas wrote:To find out if you have an older coin: 1. Insert coin in mouth and 2. bite down real hard! :twisted: If you still have a tooth in one piece, you have an older coin. :roll:

(For any members under the age of 3 and lawyers looking for a law suit, I didn't say the above: the devil made me.)

Have a good day...

Artimas
For those of us wishing to keep their teeth a magnet works even better...