Shouting at the Telly (Man in the Iron Mask)

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Shouting at the Telly (Man in the Iron Mask)

Post by Glorfindel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi folks,

You may have seen the 1998 film of the 'Man in the Iron Mask'. Not bad adventure story with some famous faces and included what (to me) seemed like credible French uniforms with ribbons etc. (Ducks and waits for rotten fruit).

Anyway, the outcome of the plot leaves the real Louis XIV wearing an iron mask in prison while his more noble brother takes his place. Fine so far. The film was gliding to a satisfactory conclusion when the final voiceover caused some seriously raised eyebrows (and I mean both at the same time - thats serious).

The wistful voice informed us that "Louis XIV gave his people food, prosperity and peace". Cough, splutter, serious eyebrow raising, informing beloved of Louis' many faults etc etc.

Now, I'm never going to take a historical film too seriously and really enjoyed the daft plot, French 1670's uniforms etc but didn't understand why such a patently untrue statement. Mutter, mutter.

Finally, you quickly realise you have become the historical wargame nerd - a shouter at the telly. A subject worthy of an article in a wargames magazine.... Maybe.

Cheers,

Phil
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Shouting at the Telly (Man in the Iron Mask)

Post by PaulMc » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi Glorfindel (Phil),

I know what you mean, but the voice-over just makes me laugh. One of my brothers asked why I was laughing so I told him it was somewhat removed from reality and then gave him a very brief account of Le Roi Soleil when asked what that reality was. Then we both had a good laugh. He commented "So it's not just Braveheart they take liberties with?". Yes, Hollywood will have their happy ending and we can't very well have the heroes place a horrible tyrant on the throne. I much prefer the Richard Lester movies anyway.
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:24 am

Well actually, I just did write it! It's in WI last month I think!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:07 am

if you want an alternative view on history you should try
The Emperors new Clothes starring Ian Holm. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and its a laugh!
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm

>>Well actually, I just did write it! It's in WI last month I think!

Hi Barry,

I had read the article a few hours before watching the film and sent the post when I recognised an example of the instinct to mock you talk about. Taking the mick out of myself really.

I must admit that I very much enjoy the visual treat these films offer and would much rather see them than not (for all their perceived imperfections). The inspiration of some scenes lives long in the memory however dubious they may be historically. I'm sure that reality would be much more mundane and less likely to inspire the paint brush.

Thanks for the article Barry - some good food for thought.

Cheers,

Phil
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:12 pm

If you like the story of the Three Muskeeters and the Man in the iron Mask, you must read "The Man in the Iron Mask" by Rodger MacDonald, its a fantastic book. I was quite amazed to read all the Muskeeters actually did exist. And that the future Duke of Marlborough and the real d'Artagnan fought side by side in battle. And just who was the real man in the Iron Mask....you'll need to read the book to find out.

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... roger.html
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks Ray,

Sounds really interesting - much appreciated. I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Phil
Mac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mac » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:34 am

Wasn't it Henry Ford that also said "History is Bunk." ?
I would modify that to "Hollywood history is bunk."
(Insert any film maker here you wish.)
My wife refuses to watch any "historical" movies with me as I either start laughing or, yes, yelling at the screen.
Don't ask me about "The Guardian" :evil:
"Would to heaven I had a Navy" Geo Washington 1790
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:26 pm

As retired Air Force all my friends hated watching movies like Iron Eagle or any other movie that depicted airplanes on which we had worked. They never got it right and was usually laughable in how they showed all aspects of the military.

As for historical movies, when Braveheart came out I remember being asked, "Did that really happen"? I just looked at them and said 'sure, and the English were the first to wear scale mail pants too'. (ugh) :)
Mac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mac » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:14 pm

I especially like the movies that has the type of plane change several times ala the movie MIDWAY.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:22 am

Gentlemen! Do you mean to tell me what i thought were historical docu-dramas are in fact FILMS!!!! ......surely Star Wars is a truthful piece of film history??? I mean its a religion isnt it??? :roll:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Mac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mac » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:53 pm

Star Wars is indeed a true to life rendition of happenings in a galaxy long ago and far, far away. Happily it has survived the VHS original recording and been now upgraded to Blu-Ray. Though one wonders why they used such primitive means to record the saving of a galaxy.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:54 pm

Well thats a relief, i have to say i bite my tongue at some films to avoid divorce and the secure ward! One outstanding film that is bob on historically ( so im told) is Dunkirk with Bernard Lee an ,John Mills. Although knowing the collective knowledge of this forum i may be wrong :?
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:03 pm

I seem to have got over it somewhere along the line.

I can even enjoy Kingdom of Heaven without choking over the near overwhelming amount of historical and geographical nonsense. I even enjoy Ridley Scott's Robin Hood :shock:

I just enjoy the spectacle :D