WSS Dutch OOB and morale grading

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Eugene1809

WSS Dutch OOB and morale grading

Post by Eugene1809 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:40 am

Hi guys,

First post on the forum though a long, long time lurker!!

Have been playing BLB intermittently for some time now but wanted to see if anyone could provide me with a guide yo the Dutch formations of the Spanish Succession and what morale grades they should be represented at please?

I have just ordered the CD from OMM to get a dew more specific unit details etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Carlo
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: WSS Dutch OOB and morale grading

Post by flick40 » Fri May 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Carlo,

Well you're headed in the right direction because it comes down to research. How did a unit perform historically to give it a BLB rating to match? I'm not versed in the Dutch army but I'm sure others are and will chime in with better info. Most of the Dutch troops are going to be rated drilled with an elite here and there. Most likely if they have gard in their name they are guard on the table. You should have some raw troops as well. Then there are the Dutch allies, Danes, Swiss etc and how do you rate them? The trick is balance.

You may have a unit that rated elite one game and raw the next. You could explain the reasoning for the drop in morale because the unit was so beat up previously that it is full of replacements. You could go as far as Barry and track unit performances to reward or punish unit morale grades. It's all up to you and your opponent how you grade them. Every unit had a bad day but nobody wants to face the all guard Dutch army from hell.

:)
Joe
Eugene1809

Post by Eugene1809 » Sat May 31, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks Joe,

Appreciate your very informative reply. It appears the more fluid interpretation of the regiments morale and training is a throwback to the days of more detailed research on units and formations.

Suits me perfectly.

Cheers

Carlo
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Lots of Objective Subjectivity required here :shock: :wink:

Joe is bang on.

I would apply this kind of broad thinking:

1. The Dutch were experienced in war with the French. Intermittent for 20 years or so. Therefore military they were seasoned and organized.
2. Individual unit capabilities of such a large army would be unknown unless something extremely notable occurred and was recorded. Therefore a mixture of Elite/Drilled/Raw in approximate proportions 20/60/20 might be reasonable if the Gard te Voet are not present.
3. GtV must be classed as Guard as the gradings are ALL relative.

The Dutch are solid, professional, experienced.. this must be reflected. I would treat the French and Danes the same.
The English were gaining experience in Ireland then Flanders. Noted by the the Dutch as scruffy but aggressive and bold in combat.. learning their craft.

Over to you Eugene1809
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Lots of Objective Subjectivity required here :shock: :wink:

Joe is bang on.

I would apply this kind of broad thinking:

1. The Dutch were experienced in war with the French. Intermittent for 20 years or so. Therefore military they were seasoned and organized.
2. Individual unit capabilities of such a large army would be unknown unless something extremely notable occurred and was recorded. Therefore a mixture of Elite/Drilled/Raw in approximate proportions 20/60/20 might be reasonable if the Gard te Voet are not present.
3. GtV must be classed as Guard as the gradings are ALL relative.

The Dutch are solid, professional, experienced.. this must be reflected. I would treat the French and Danes the same.
The English were gaining experience in Ireland then Flanders. Noted by the the Dutch as scruffy but aggressive and bold in combat.. learning their craft.

Over to you Eugene1809
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Eugene1809

Post by Eugene1809 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:28 am

Thanks Barry,

Will work on that ratio and continue the research.

Cheers

Carlo